Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > Cayenne
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Did Porsche sell out when they made the Cayenne?

Any thoughts?
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
porscheguy9999
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999
I must say, the Cayenne isn't really what you'd call a "Porsche" per say. But when the Cayenne was released, I wasn't exactly "into" cars. So I've pretty much always known the Cayenne as a Porsche. But anyone who is a Porsche purist, such as myself, doesn't really look well upon the Cayenne. But the Cayenne is making all of Porsche's dough. So you can't say the Cayenne is pointless, because Porsche would be broke off it's ass without it. Or if VW bought it, then it would still have a version of the Toureg. So, either way...

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
porscheguy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Re: Did Porsche sell out when they made the Cayenne?

If porsche has to sell a few suv's so I can buy a new 911 in a few years, so be it.
2005 Nissan Frontier ext cab 4x4 4.0L-Sold
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500r-Sold
2004 Yamaha FZ1 Silver/Black- Sold
2008 Mazdaspeed 3-In the driveway
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

give the people what they want...

...Saab and Audi are following suit; along with everyone else...
Porsche should be tuning up a good AWD sportster with decent economy to compete not only against luxury and exotic, but match compact and longevity.

then Corvettes would stumble, scared in the corners; and subarus and VW owners would wonder why they didn't step up.

...but I agree completely with lamehonda-
-hold out Porsche until I pick up my 9-1-1.
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctesla
give the people what they want...

...Saab and Audi are following suit; along with everyone else...
Porsche should be tuning up a good AWD sportster with decent economy to compete not only against luxury and exotic, but match compact and longevity.

then Corvettes would stumble, scared in the corners; and subarus and VW owners would wonder why they didn't step up.

...but I agree completely with lamehonda-
-hold out Porsche until I pick up my 9-1-1.
What do you define as a sportster?

The official time for the new Corvette Z06 at the Nurburgring is 7:43.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/

New Corvette Z06
Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

The cayenne shows all other SUV's it's better. Its the best SUV out there right now, but it is a little weird to think of it as a Porsche.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
92pontiacbonny
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 92pontiacbonny
Re: Re: Did Porsche sell out when they made the Cayenne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man422
The cayenne shows all other SUV's it's better. Its the best SUV out there right now, but it is a little weird to think of it as a Porsche.

im sry, but the Caddy srx v-8 beats the Cayenne S, this is jus what i saw so no one put me down on this!

i do beleive its the best looking but not the best, im sry
92pontiacbonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Yikes man where'd you get the facts for that?

You like magazine racing so here's some facts for you car of you're favcourite magazine, Motor Trend.

Best 1/4 time:
Cadillac SRX V8 - 14.6
Porsche Cayenne Turbo - 13.5
Porsche Cayenne S - 14.9

Care of www.dragtimes.com

I personally like the Cayenne and I do think of it as a Porshche. So what if it isn't a 911, it still looks good, satisfies its buyers, keeps the company afloat, and whoops the competition.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
92pontiacbonny
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_canuck
Yikes man where'd you get the facts for that?

You like magazine racing so here's some facts for you car of you're favcourite magazine, Motor Trend.

Best 1/4 time:
Cadillac SRX V8 - 14.6
Porsche Cayenne Turbo - 13.5
Porsche Cayenne S - 14.9

Care of www.dragtimes.com

I personally like the Cayenne and I do think of it as a Porshche. So what if it isn't a 911, it still looks good, satisfies its buyers, keeps the company afloat, and whoops the competition.
look at this this is also from car and driver...........................
First Place
Cadillac SRX V-8

That the all-new SRX won this contest

Second Place
Porsche Cayenne S

Third Place
Infiniti FX45

Fourth Place
Volkswagen Touareg V-8

so i dont care wat u say bout this one, im rite
Old 08-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

After re-reading your post I see you mean the Cayenne S and not the Cayenne overall.

That article talked about the Cayenne S not the Turbo, and in that case then yes, I agree, the SRX V8>Cayenne S. However, the Cayenne Turbo > SRX V8 (except in price). So yeah, you're right that the SRX is better than the S.

Just remember though, you can't argue all your posts with magazine comparisons. In this case you were right and I guess I read the post too quickly so I'm sorry. However, constantly using mags as your source is going to backfire, as seen in the Cobalt SS thread.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #11
92pontiacbonny
AF Regular

and i understand that, but if thats the only way i can get the people reading my threads to beleive me and me to know that i am correct, then thats what i have to do, i do go under sum threads with knowledge of that car but some i jus need a lil boost on, im still kind of learning!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
92pontiacbonny
AF Regular

and actually, it says nuthing about what cayenne hes talking bout the thread title is "did porsche sell out when they made the cayenne" that is the thread title, im not tryin to start anything, but that is what it says
Old 11-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #13
mercedes420
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
Any thoughts?
Porsche no way sold out by teaming up with VW.. You got to think of it like this, if the engine is Porsche, who cares about the rest.. Personally when I first heard about the Cayenne, and that it was not all Porsche, I was pissed.. But after thinking it over and seeing one in person, the madness subsided.. I have been to the Porsche factory in Stuttgart, it was the best day of my life..
mercedes420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Not so Hot: U.S. Sales of Porsche's Cayenne ute decline in '05

DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News

Posted Date: 11/21/05

Less than three years since its U.S. debut, the Porsche Cayenne has run out of steam with sales here slumping for the 10th month in a row.

The Cayenne's decline again raises the question of whether Porsche stretched the brand too much with an SUV -- particularly a vehicle with below-average quality scores.

U.S. sales of rival luxury SUVs also are down, leading some dealers and Porsche executives to conclude that the Cayenne is a victim of gasoline prices and the economy. Cayenne sales for the first 10 months of 2005 were 10,907, down 26.5 percent from a year earlier.

Indeed, the Volkswagen Touareg SUV, with which the Cayenne shares a platform and many components, is performing worse than the Cayenne. U.S. Touareg sales are down even more -- 36.9 percent through October.

Other dealers say the Cayenne reached its peak when sales hit 2,075 units in October 2004. They say it's a fashion-statement vehicle that doesn't command the loyalty that Porsche's sports cars do. The Cayenne isn't due for a facelift until 2007.

Some decline expected

Peter Schwarzenbauer, CEO of Porsche Cars North America, says the Cayenne is a success. With the SUV in its third year, Porsche expected a decline between 10 and 15 percent compared with 2004, he says.

Schwarzenbauer says sales are down more than expected because of high gasoline prices and wobbly consumer confidence.

Unlike the competition, Porsche won't offer cash incentives on its SUV. Considering this, Schwarzenbauer says, "the Cayenne is still doing OK."

Porsche isn't putting on incentives, but dealers are. Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research Inc. in Bandon, Ore., estimates that the average dealer incentive on the Cayenne is between $3,000 and $4,000.

Todd Turner, president of Car Concepts Inc., an automotive consulting company in Thousand Oaks, Calif., says Porsche never should have made an SUV. "It is a me-too vehicle and doesn't fit the brand at all," he says.

But image isn't the Cayenne's biggest problem. Turner says Porsche still hasn't ironed out the Cayenne's quality problems.

"There are problems with electrical bits, pieces not connected tight enough and cooling problems," he says. "Look at a 1-year-old Cayenne, and it looks used. The fit and finish isn't there."

Porsche says its initial quality numbers for October from J.D. Power and Associates show 163 problems per 100 vehicles for the Cayenne, compared with 223 in October 2004 and 233 in October 2003. J.D. Power publicly releases initial quality results once a year and this May said the industry average was 118 problems per 100 vehicles.

By contrast, Porsche's Boxster sports car had 94 problems per 100 vehicles in October, and the 911 sports car had 87 problems.

High gasoline prices sent the sales of many SUVs spiraling downward in the past few months. Cayenne sales fell 46.8 percent in October, compared with a year earlier.

Down, down, down

October was a disastrous month for nearly every brand. But Cayenne sales have been down every month this year, falling at least 20 percent most months compared with a year earlier.

Jerry Nelson, owner of Schneider + Nelson Porsche in West Long Branch, N.J., says unlike Porsche's sports car buyers, "customers who come off-lease of an SUV don't have a great deal of loyalty and move around to whatever is new on the block.

"Cayenne was the hottest thing a few years ago. Now it's whatever else is new. And we don't have a facelift on it yet."

Schwarzenbauer says it's too early to tell whether lessees will go into a second Cayenne because most haven't come off their three-year contract.

He says that initial data show that between 40 and 45 percent lease another Cayenne -- the same rate as the sports cars.

Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific in Southfield, Mich., agrees that luxury SUV buyers aren't loyal, but he doesn't fault Porsche for wanting to attract buyers looking for a bigger vehicle.

Referring to the four-door Panamera sedan Porsche has approved for production in 2009, Hall says, "in retrospect, the sedan looks like a better choice."

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > Cayenne