Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
DZ989
AF Newbie

04 Impala brake hammering

So about a year ago I replaced the rotor and brake pads on the drivers side front end of my Impala. Ever since I can remember the brakes would slightly hammer when getting on the brakes, but I never felt like it was a huge issue. Well now looking back I realize I should've looked into it, as the brakes are now clattering when coming to a stop with the pulsating feeling the whole time. I took off the brake assembly and rotor, and noticed that my sway bar was also cracked. Is there any chance the cracked sway bar would put more pressure on the drivers side of the car? Never had an issue with the passenger side or rear. Not sure if I will have to get fresh pads and rotor to go with the sway bar. It didn't get much winter use (maybe a thousand miles on the highway) and the pads still have wear left. Maybe I'm missing something really simple here but I'm beyond frustrated with this car and all the headache that has come along with it.
DZ989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 04 Impala brake hammering

So, a year ago, you replaced the rotor and the pads on the driver's side.....what did you do to the passenger side at that time?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
DZ989
AF Newbie

Just replaced the brake pads. The rotor was in good shape. Drivers side rotor was damaged so it was replaced.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Like pads you should change rotors in pairs. You don't want two different thickness rotors on one axle. (ie front or rear)

Also, rear pads and rotors could cause brake chattering. The sway bar is not going to cause chattering. It would only cause a thunk when it hit something, or cause the car to lean more in corners.

When it comes to maintaining cars brakes are one of the easiest things to keep track of and repair. You can't just halfass a repair and expect good results. Unfortunately repairs cost money. Doing the repairs right costs a little more initially, but will save you time, money, and headaches in the long run.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
DZ989
AF Newbie

Ya you're right. I'm definitely not a amazing mechanic but it's cheaper when you do it yourself(properly). I'll tackle it when I get the sway bar, but ya....it costs money. I appreciate the comments. Guess we'll see how it goes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS