Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
DRUMS02
AF Newbie

1/14 Ferrari 312 T5

I have started a large Burago die-cast toy with the goal of detailing it. Some of the things I have done include:

- Sanded / painted the wheels as the Burago plating was inconsistantly poor and painted the front centers gold. Painted the rear of all the wheels as they were initially molded as part of the black plastic tire. I found a nice trick to paint the contact patch of the tires. I use a dense flat sponge; paint it flat acrylic black; then rolled the tires over it causing a thin stipple coat which looks very good in scale. You may have to roll each one several times to fully coat the tires contact patch. I duplicated the same for the rear wheels.

- Decided to keep the basic 1 piece engine and transmission. Initially I was just going to add plug wires but later have decided to detail the engine and trans. I removed the molded Burago spine over the engine. This means I had to create from scratch the alternator, battery, black boxes, ignition coil, oil filter assembly, fuel injection system and wires, distributor and wires, etc.

- I de-seamed the exhaust and painted it light gray as seen in several pictures. I removed the upper exhaust tips from the transmission cooler and added bracket clamps as well. Afterwards I created a new transmission cooler that I feel was more accurate than the toy mold.

- Reworked the rear suspension by adding attachment points for the upper trailing arm and also to the top of the shocks. Completed the similar connection for the bottom of the rear shocks and the suspension points. I also cleaned up behind the rear wheels and added CV boots to the rear wheel hub axles. Finally I added PE brakes, and created calipers, brake lines, transmission cooler lines, overflow tubes, wire to the rear light, trans. connections, etc.

- Created the parts of the center chassis that were not with the Burago toy mold. This includes covering the fuel cell and cockpit area. Later I created the inner sponsons to include the intake runners as well as catch cans, storage cells, individual screens to the fuel injectors, chassis wiring, etc.

- Created cockpit gages behind the dash pod and added the corresponding wiring. Finished the custom gages with specialty decals, solder, and clear coat. Also created the control box that shows to the bottom left of the dash based on actual photos. Created and added a shifting box and cleaned up the shifter lever. To finish the cockpit I added a PE seat harness and head rest.

- Added a front bulkhead and details to include master cylinders for the brake and clutch. I also removed the black chassis plastic from in front of the bulkhead to make it more authentic to the actual car.

- I completed modifications to the top of the fuel cell such as the rivets, bolt heads, filler reducer and filler neck, fire bottle, and kill switch.

- The rear tires had Good Year logos while the front had Michelin. Many photos of the car being ran in the historic races show Avon tires. The 312 T5 actually wore exclusively Michelins when racing, so I removed the rather large logos from all the wheels and later finished them with period correct Michelin small stencils.

- after looking at actual photos I noticed that the front upper suspension arms are supposed to be attached to the coil over shocks, but Burago attached the springs to the chassis and left the upper suspension arm just dangling there, cut short. My solution was to rework the front suspension by cutting the shocks from the center spine, tossing away the crappy half round toy parts, and scratch building scale appropriate coil over shocks from metal, and reattached them correctly to the modified upper suspension arm. I finish the front suspension by creating calipers and adding PE brake disc's.

I know I have forgotten many other details I have done to the car. I hope the photos can give you an idea of what has been done. At this point I have corrected the lumps and bumps on the die-cast metal body. I am currently waiting for a good day to paint it. Until then here are some photos of both WIP and the completed chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tRVQIHzh.jpg (111.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 8soqZF9h.jpg (125.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 5xl4tE1h.jpg (118.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg ZnQFzwrh.jpg (108.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg QlVsHXAh.jpg (115.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by DRUMS02; 02-02-2018 at 10:55 AM.
DRUMS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DRUMS02 For This Useful Post:
Big Pat (05-30-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
DRUMS02
AF Newbie

Re: 1/14 Ferrari 312 T5

I think I am calling this one 99% done....

Finished cockpit

Finished engine details

Complete, paint is Tamiya Italian Red, decals from Michael at Indycals, front spoiler with bare metal foil while rear main spoiler is hand shaped aluminum.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
DRUMS02
AF Newbie

Re: 1/14 Ferrari 312 T5

Hello All,

Based on some great suggestions from our peers, I updated the car by adding end plate rivets to the front spoiler, dull coated the tires, and I also chose to clear coat the decals; I am now calling this totally DONE:

Comments welcome....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports