Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 08:12 PM   #31
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fortyoz2eric
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10
Forty:

I would like to see if you can smoke your tires from 1st gear and not hook up until you hit 3rd and do the quarter mile in less than 12 seconds (with stock 3.07 gears and 335 series street tires). I would also like to see if you can put your car into a drifting sweeper turn at 120+ mph in oversteer, and throttle steering your car through the turn. Can your car turn out 500 lb-ft of torque and start from a standing stop in 3rd or 4th gear without lurching? Can your car go 192 mph out of the box? How about stopping 60 to 0 in 110 feet? How about pulling 1.03 g's on a skidpad?

No offense meant, but how many cars do you know that can do all of this in it's stock form? Yeah, you can throw tons of money into any car to make it go like a Viper, but does that make it a Viper? Can your car do it all (in terms of acceleration, braking and handling)?
no, i know of very few cars that can do all this in their stock form but i don't get why this is something to be proud of. i really don't mean to sound like an asshole but i could probably make a car that can do all this for half the price. personally, my favorite thing about cars is making modifications and i don't mean little things like clear taillights and stickers. in the end i guess its just a matter of taste and what you're looking for in a car. i still love you viper 10
Old 11-19-2001, 08:16 PM   #32
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

hey also theres a dealership back home that currently has a gts and an rt10. you guys have any advice on how i can convince them to let me testdrive one of them?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:59 PM   #33
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by fortyoz2eric

no, i know of very few cars that can do all this in their stock form but i don't get why this is something to be proud of. i really don't mean to sound like an asshole but i could probably make a car that can do all this for half the price. personally, my favorite thing about cars is making modifications and i don't mean little things like clear taillights and stickers. in the end i guess its just a matter of taste and what you're looking for in a car. i still love you viper 10
Forty:

Nothing personal, but you forgot to tell us that you can build a car that performs as well as a Viper in these categories that is going to be unreliable to be driven daily and won't pass smog in CA, right? I would like to personally hear how you will make this car that you purpose that you can build. Are you building it for the new car price of $75k or the used price of some Vipers of $40k?

If you start with a POS and fix it up, it still ends up being a fast POS.

Still love you too Forty...

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:14 PM   #34
RX7_4_Eva
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

Forty:

Nothing personal, but you forgot to tell us that you can build a car that performs as well as a Viper in these categories that is going to be unreliable to be driven daily and won't pass smog in CA, right? I would like to personally hear how you will make this car that you purpose that you can build. Are you building it for the new car price of $75k or the used price of some Vipers of $40k?

If you start with a POS and fix it up, it still ends up being a fast POS.

Still love you too Forty...

Brad
If I'm butting in, ignore me. But if you were to buy a used 3rd gen RX-7 for $15k and add $25k of mods in it, totaling $40k, there is no question of which car would win. It would destroy the Viper in speed, match it in reliability, plus beat it in handling. To top it off, you would have an RX-7 in the garage at the end of the day, hardly a POS. Thats how you would build a non-POS car for half the price of a new Viper that would destroy it in any category. But don't get me wrong, the Viper is an awesome car, and owning one must be incredible.
RX7_4_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:34 AM   #35
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
Well, i don't think the RX-7 would be more reliable, i hear a lot about rotary engines being unreliable, and adding lots of mods to it may make it worse, but maybe not.

I hate all this "well i could do this...and it would be faster" well it wouldn't be a muscle car with a V10 in it would it, much less a viper. The same arguement goes with much less expensive cars. People say they can build a civic to be faster than say a camaro SS or Z28. Well, maybe you could, but its not a muslce car (some people LOVE them with their entire heart, and don't care if it doesn't perform as well as another car), and its still a civic.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:21 AM   #36
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

???

Sorry Guys if this offends some of you...

You can polish and pump up a turd all you want... but in the end you still have a turd.

I like RX-7's (in fact my brother owns a TT), but it is not a Viper. If you pump a RX-7 up that much, you can bet that it will not be reliable. Spend enough money and you can make a Kleenex box go faster than a Viper... so what's your point? Are you saying if given the choice that you would take the RX?

Am I missing something here?

Old 01-16-2002, 03:52 PM   #37
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

well yea i would take the rx-7. i know this is all opinions but i think the fun of having a car is making it an ongoing project to get it to perform to your own specifications - obviously if you buy a viper that isn't your kind of fun. anyways stop saying "if you modify crap its still crap", this is only true if you have a pinto. if you can make a civic do everything a camaro can do and more, then why do people that drive camaros still call civics crap?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:34 PM   #38
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

To each his own, right? Have fun with your RX or your Civic's...

Old 01-16-2002, 07:26 PM   #39
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
Why would a camaro owner call a civic that is faster than it crap? Because he likes muslce cars more than imports/ricers (since they aren't the same thing). I don't like the econo cars that are souped up, but i do like the nice imports like the RX7, S2000, WRX, supra, ect. ect...Why couldn't you make a viper a project that is ongoing? With a viper you can't upgrade it, you can't improve handling, power, or something else? Ya maybe its more expensive, but its not the same as the imports. Some people would rather have lesser handling muscle car putting out 500-600hp with 550 ft-lbs of torque coming out of a big V8, than a faster better handling worked up RX-7 or supra. Its tastes, personally if you offered me a nice muscle car, then a faster, better handling import, i would take the muscle car just because it is a muscle car, they are my thing. You guys will never resolve why you should get a viper over a ____ b/c tastes differ, and so do opinions. How about you guys learn to respect the fact that some people love these cars for what they are, and they should in turn respect that you love your type of car and prefer it.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #40
RSXJeettao
AF Newbie

I agree with Cy and Viper10's last response.
To each their own.

I have exceptional respect for this finely-tuned production muscle car, but I believe it to be beyond just your average muscle car. It is a true supercar.

There are, however, incredibly well-engineered imports that are "not Vipers". Take the rally-bred vehicles like the Evolution and the STI. Both can get just under 1.00 on the skidpad, over 70mph on the slalom, 0-60 in sometimes as little as 4.3 seconds (we may be talking about the MR or Spec-C here) for well under $40,000. Particularly on the Evolution, tuning can oftentimes make it more "streetable" -- and with close to 400 HP to the wheels.

Are these cars Vipers? No.
I can see why it irks a Viper owner to hear that some little wrong-wheel drive "POS" can be "tuned" to 600HP+ and go faster than a Viper. I mean, you are shellin' out a lotta cash for your machine.

I see Evo owners on their forums very angry at Dodge SRT-4 owners saying they can basically do the same thing.
Their response? "It's still a Neon"

But you see, it is not. It has an entirely different engine from your run-of-the-mill Neon, and is actually a rather decent car. But a FWD 250hp car is not the same as a AWD rally-inspired car.

My point is, every car has its niche, and to compare an RX-7 to a Viper is utterly ridiculous. If you want a Rear-wheel drag monster that puts out interesting and enviable skidpad results in addition to its very admirable handling abilities? Got 80-ish grand? Then a Viper is well indeed for you.
RSXJeettao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #41
gweb
AF Newbie

Re: why viper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperluvr2002
WHY VIPER!! WHY VIPER!!!
because they rock its the kinda car a guy will buy when he wants to get some, and he usually does
Not quite correct statement on the torque. The MB SL600 with the V12 TT produces 590lbs/ft torque at about 3000 rpm. I also have a 01 Viper GTS coupe, a 04 SRT-10 Viper and a MB S55 AMG sedan. After road testing the Sl600 V12 I have decided to trade the SRT-10 for the SL600 and keep the GTS Viper as my only Viper. I found the SRT-10 to be powerful and responsive but liked the brutish power and luxery of the SL600. Think of it as a Viper with breeding!!
gweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:52 AM   #42
GvEman
AF Enthusiast

I will tell you all why a viper. cause it looks so sweet! Only the look of a Viper can make you horny. and then when you hear the engine you just flip out yo go mad=) Dodge Viper is the most beautiful car that have bin made in 30 years. and the car that is more beautifull than the viper is the Dodge Challenger '70.

Everybody says that the viper is almost impossiple to drive on a cours and i can belive that.... but ho cears?=P

I ame not old egnuf to buy me one and i have not the money but when i have, a Viper will be parked at my drive way.

Well there you have the resosn for buying a viper!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #43
Jason Doucette
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyoz2eric
you can easily buy a car and make it faster than a viper for half the cost.
The problem with this argument is that the same thing can be said of any other car, no matter how much (or how little) it costs. The extreme of this argument is stating a person should buy a $10 - $15,000 bike that can kill just about any car (modified or not) on the street. If you bring this argument to me, stating your Supra is cheaper and faster than my Viper then I'll bring out my bike next time. Then you must do the same to counteract. Then I must spend money to soup mine up to go faster. Eventually there is no winner, since the loser will say 'mine's cheaper'. It's pointless. In the end, I would rather drive the Viper.
Jason Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #44
chizled
AF Newbie

Why buy a Viper Cause I can . I'm only 23 and I have a Viper and a Z06. I'm not some old guy that doesn't know shit about cars. Ive worked for them to buy them im not like lots of people who are rich and spoiled . My parents are poor and Ive worked for what I have . I've worked more hours in a month then some people are awake in a month . Id like to see a ricer that can have 900+ hp with just a twin supercharger like you can do to a Viper . Vipers are by far better lookin cars then anything out their and they are rare .I dont want a car that everyone has . Drive down the street and you see 10 more cars the same kind . My 2000 Steel Grey Acr is one of only 39 Ive never seen in person another Viper like it . Let alone the fact that I rarely see other Viper owners .

I have lots of friends with all kinds of ricers and muscle cars . When I go with them nobody double looks thier cars even with all thier mods , paint body kits what ever. When I'm in my Viper I'm always getting thumbs up waves honks . People cant take thier eyes off them.

You can take a mini van and it can be faster then a Viper who cares . Ricers are bellybutton cars everyones got one . You always hear young punks who dont know shit about Vipers but what they have read in magazines . They have never seen a Viper let alone drove in one . I like the handling in my Viper better than my z06 . You just have to know how to drive one .

Vipers arn't just straight line cars even though their good on the drag strip. The Viper has won Lemans which some consider to be the ultimate race for proffesional racing. So that alone proves the Viper is one of the Worlds best cars on and off a track.

I dont know how many times Ive read as well in Magazines where the Viper Losses in a contest against cars . Only because of the price, even though it won the majority of the preformance tests.

Vipers are one of the best looking fastest production cars in the world . So why dont you jealous haters go to your www.fastminivan.com forums and talk to each other about how you tripled your horsepower from cold air intake . And stay away from forums where real men talk about real cars .
2005 H2 (asap)
chizled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #45
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20C
Viper is like S2000 that it begs to be driven by a guy that actually know the car. Not just some kid who knows how to drive stick period.

ARe you living in the LA area?
Yes, I live in Manhattan Beach and drive my GTS Coupe every single day. I also take it to the local road racing tracks whenever I can.

Do you live in LA too? If so, come on out to Woodley Park next weekend to the Mopar Spring Fling (17th and 18th). I'll be there all day Saturday and Sunday morning. Come on by and say hello. I'll probably be one of the few Vipers out there. Mine is the '96 GTS with the same plates as my tag name (with fresh paint and no emblems). You can try mine on for size...

Brad