Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 10:32 AM   #16
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C
Viper is like S2000 that it begs to be driven by a guy that actually know the car. Not just some kid who knows how to drive stick period.

ARe you living in the LA area?
Yep, just south of LAX near the beach.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 02:09 AM   #17
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fortyoz2eric
i don't know guys...i admit i have never actually driven a viper and i'd love to try one out sometime. but a good friend of mine has driven them many many times and says that they aren't that great compared to a lot of cars that cost considerably less. if you guys actually drive your vipers like they were made for then thats cool but never have i seen someone in a viper that was doing things that i couldn't do in my $6000 piece o' shit (or was under 60 years old). it still seems to me that people mainly are paying all that money purely for the name. then again maybe i have no right to be saying this stuff until i've driven one
Old 11-11-2001, 02:58 AM   #18
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Forty:

I would like to see if you can smoke your tires from 1st gear and not hook up until you hit 3rd and do the quarter mile in less than 12 seconds (with stock 3.07 gears and 335 series street tires). I would also like to see if you can put your car into a drifting sweeper turn at 120+ mph in oversteer, and throttle steering your car through the turn. Can your car turn out 500 lb-ft of torque and start from a standing stop in 3rd or 4th gear without lurching? Can your car go 192 mph out of the box? How about stopping 60 to 0 in 110 feet? How about pulling 1.03 g's on a skidpad?

No offense meant, but how many cars do you know that can do all of this in it's stock form? Yeah, you can throw tons of money into any car to make it go like a Viper, but does that make it a Viper? Can your car do it all (in terms of acceleration, braking and handling)? Not many drivers are capable of this, but you can bet your life that the car definitely is up to all of this and more.

Don't judge a car based on the few old men that you see driving them or the magazines that you read. There are plenty of Viper owners that would gladly mix it up with you at a road racing course or drag strip. I doubt that there are many that want to mix it up with you on the street, but you might get lucky and find a few. The Viper is definitely more than just a name. Like most drivers out there who can afford to drive these kinds of cars, but rarely know how to drive them. Why is that different than any other car? Let's face it, most drivers don't know how to drive. Just because a Viper has a gas pedal, a brake, a shifter and a clutch does not mean that anyone can just jump in and drive one. Assume that and you might just get yourself killed.

Don't be so quick to judge.

Brad

Old 11-11-2001, 03:05 AM   #19
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Vipers are awesome, I think they are one of the best looking cars out there. Pics do no justice, A Viper in real life defines what sexy is. I just love the curves on the viper, that's what a civic can't do.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 02:38 PM   #20
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Viper 10 do you know of a guy that goes by the name of ViperPaul? I heard he is the best Viper driver in America right now.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 05:37 PM   #21
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Sorry, don't know him. It could be a guy by the name of Paul Mumford, who lives in Southern Cal. I have heard that he is a very good driver, who has done very well in the Michelin Viper Challenge races. I would say that outside of Tommy Archer, that Erik Messley is one of the best Viper drivers out there. Archer and Messley are professional drivers. I do not think that Paul Mumford is a pro.

Brad

Old 11-12-2001, 11:03 PM   #22
F20C
AF Enthusiast

He says he race professionally. He also said he held the fastest time at Road America for a Viper driver.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:44 PM   #23
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

F20:

Do you know where ViperPaul lives? I don't even know Mumford, except through the internet. He's a pretty serious racer in the Michelin series. Maybe it's the same guy?

How do you know him?

Have a good day.

Brad

Old 11-13-2001, 01:02 AM   #24
F20C
AF Enthusiast

I don't know him personally. Only get to know him slightly from another web site. He was visiting a Honda site since he also have a S2000. He got into a heated debate with a NSX owner. Basically the two are arguing NSX and Viper which one is faster. NSX owner said he can drive his stock NSX faster than any stock Viper. The Viper guy says he can drive his stock Viper faster than any stock NSX. The thread went on for 20 pages going back and forth.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:24 AM   #25
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

It sounds like Paul Mumford. I think that he owns an S2000 and an E55.

Not a big deal. I don't consider myself a racer. I just get to the track a few times a year to get my rocks off. Even then, I don't run as hard as those guys. They've got money to burn, and I don't.

Later,

Brad

Old 11-13-2001, 03:38 AM   #26
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Probaly that's him.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:10 PM   #27
viperluvr2002
AF Newbie

I'd just thought I'd let you guys know I'm a women I have driven a viper before and I'm not just some kid who knows how to drive a stick.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:24 PM   #28
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by viperluvr2002
I'd just thought I'd let you guys know I'm a women I have driven a viper before and I'm not just some kid who knows how to drive a stick.
Did I miss something here? I didn't see anyone contest you on these points. Would you believe that less than 5% of Viper owners are women? I am glad that you like them, do you have any plans to but a Viper in the future?

Where did you get to drive a Snake and what did you think? Were you able to open the car up?

Brad

Old 11-14-2001, 05:54 PM   #29
F20C
AF Enthusiast

The only ones I can rent here are Silver.
Old 11-16-2001, 03:25 PM   #30
viperluvr2002
AF Newbie

As soon as I finish law school and start at my firm I hope to buy one not sure what kind though