Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 12:34 AM   #1
Audio_1
AF Newbie

Viper vs GT40

what do you think about this comparison? who comes out as winner in the catigories? GT40: 500hp 500ftLB torque. Viper: 500hp 500ftLB torque
Old 03-29-2002, 02:42 AM   #2
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

This is almost impossibe to compare until Ford decides the exact weight and performance specs of the GT-40. I have heard rumor tha they are shooting for a 2,800 pound curb weight. If that is true, it'll be a tough car to beat.

I am leaning toward buying a GT-40 before buying the SRT-10 GTS Coupe that will be out in 2 years.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #3
Audio_1
AF Newbie

damn. you must be loaded with money. i read in motortrend that the gt40 will be in the 100k range
Old 03-29-2002, 11:11 PM   #4
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

According to friends who spoke to Ford reps, the GT-40 will be priced exactly at the same price the Viper is at ($75k to $80k). They also said that they will produce 300 in the first year, but I am hoping that they do more (to meet the demand). I expect that their target production is going to be about 1,000 to 1,500 a year like the Vipers.

Even if the GT-40 were going to be priced at $100k, I would probably get one. It's not about money, as much as priorities...

FYI, I am a working grunt that just loves cars (I also am married and have 3 small children). I buy cars to drive and to run on the tracks several times a year. None of my cars are "collectibles". What in the hell is the use of buying these incredible machines, if you don't take them to the track and appreciate what they were designed for? I never gave a $hit about what people thought about the cars that I own. Aside from my wonderful family, it's my passion... I am truly blessed.

Brad

Old 03-30-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Audio_1
AF Newbie

indede you are. it looks as in a race it will come down to the driver.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:45 AM   #6
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

None of my cars are "collectibles". What in the hell is the use of buying these incredible machines, if you don't take them to the track and appreciate what they were designed for? I never gave a $hit about what people thought about the cars that I own.

Brad
yeah i don't understand those people that have cars like ferrari and keep them in a garage and get like 50 miles a year on them. that should be ilegall if you ask me Cars are built to drive!!!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
BUFF_dragon
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to BUFF_dragon Send a message via AIM to BUFF_dragon Send a message via Yahoo to BUFF_dragon
if you have the money to buy it, please do us that don't a favor, and drive it or give it to one of us. I respect Brad (Viper10) an extreme amount, not only does he own the cars I love but he drives them with the passion that they deserve.

I wish he'd adopt me LOL

in all honesty back to the subject, I have heard that the T40 is supposed to wipe the Viper off the road, but then I have also heard that it should be a CLOSE race. being the Mopar Man that I am I hope that the GT40 falls on its face.... but I do hope that Ford and DC get into a power war from the days of the Charger, Cudas, mustangs, and all the good muscle cars. maybe it'll even fall over into the trucks, the RAM SRT10 and the Lightning.....
Flowmaster Single-in-Dual-out Exhaust
MANUAL TRANNY (currently BLOWN UP, along with the clutch pressure plate, and throwout bearing)
as LOW as possible without a C-notch

98 Dodge Ram Sport
16.41@81.9 in the quarter (Bone stock)
now with no Cat. (I HATE those O2 sensors)
BUFF_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:16 AM   #8
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by BUFF_dragon
if you have the money to buy it, please do us that don't a favor, and drive it or give it to one of us. I respect Brad (Viper10) an extreme amount, not only does he own the cars I love but he drives them with the passion that they deserve.

I wish he'd adopt me LOL

in all honesty back to the subject, I have heard that the T40 is supposed to wipe the Viper off the road, but then I have also heard that it should be a CLOSE race. being the Mopar Man that I am I hope that the GT40 falls on its face.... but I do hope that Ford and DC get into a power war from the days of the Charger, Cudas, mustangs, and all the good muscle cars. maybe it'll even fall over into the trucks, the RAM SRT10 and the Lightning.....
Buff:

Thanks for the kind words. I hope that all of you will follow suit when you make the money that you need to prusue your passions.

As for the Dodge-Ford-Chevy wars from the days of old, I would not bet anyone's money on that as long as the Germans from Damler are running the show. Since the merger, Chrysler has really taken a downturn in their direction and momentum. If anyone is up to stepping to the plate, it would be Lutz at GM (who by the way, got Chrysler to where they are and is credited with being the father of the Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, 300M and Charger). I truly hope that things change for Chrysler.

Even their recent announcement to produce the GTS Coupe version of the SRT-10 is a day late and a dollar short. They will be turning this Snake out a year after the GT-40. Why is the heck would Daimler-Chrysler release the SRT-10 Convertible, when the public demanded the GTS Coupe that toured all of the world's car shows for the last 3 years? If the SRT-10 Convertible hit the car show tour, they would have been boo'd out of the show. It looks like a freakin' souped up Sebring!

Sorry for the rant, I just expected more out of the guys that designed my Viper. Unfortunately none of those senior people are there anymore... just a bunch of German leeches stealing technology, manufacturing processes, styling and (most of all) the money that Chrysler had in the bank (which exceeded $9 billion).

This is what I get for being passionate...

Brad

Old 04-01-2002, 03:32 AM   #9
Neutrino
Yaya Master

I wouldn't be so harsh on the germans you never know if the rumors are true or not.

And what I would really like to see is a Viper AMG. That would be fast.

(\__/)
Old 04-01-2002, 12:13 PM   #10
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino
I wouldn't be so harsh on the germans you never know if the rumors are true or not.

And what I would really like to see is a Viper AMG. That would be fast.
Neutrino:

With all due respect I beg to disagree with you.

Take a look at this article about Iacocca's view of this matter. He admits that he really blew it when he appointed Eaton over Lutz as the CEO of Chrysler. Eaton basically sold out to the to the Germans when he didn't have to. Chrysler was more profitable and had a huge amount of cash ($9 billion) in the bank (which Daimler needed to pay off their huge debt).

Check out theis article Iacocca On The Record .

This is an excellant read. If you want to read more on this subject read "Taken For A Ride" by Vlasic and Stertz (published by Harper Collins). It gives you the bloody details of this unfriendly take over that was sold to the shareholders as a friendly merger.

Kirk Kerkorian is in court sueing Daimler for lying to the shareholders of Chryler. If it is proven to be true, Schrempp will lose his a$$ and the CEO position at Daimler Benz. Mark my words on that.

Brad

Old 04-01-2002, 08:09 PM   #11
Neutrino
Yaya Master

I guess they are not just rumours then. So you are right they sold out.

But I still maintain my statement that would be nice to see a Viper moded by AMG.

(\__/)
Old 04-01-2002, 11:23 PM   #12
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Neutrino:

There is a Viper done by AMG under the name of Startech. They are extremely overpriced and do not improve performance on the Viper. They produce a 20" wheel that is heavier than a boulder and makes the car handle worse than stock. They also make a brake package that looks pretty but is unproven. They produce an exhaust system that requires the cutting of the rear fascia to fit, and that they have not dyno'd to even see if it does better or worse than stock.

Finally they make a double adjustable coil-over shock replacement that they can't tel me whatthey used as a benchmark when designing the spring rates and shock valving... (what in the hell were they thinking?).

They tried recruiting me to use my car and I told them no way! I don't see much engineering coming from Startech. They seem to be marketing their wares to the showboat Viper owners who don't really drive their cars, but want to brag about there designer labels...

Not my style.

Brad

Old 04-02-2002, 02:59 AM   #13
Neutrino
Yaya Master

I am surprised about the AMG moded viper. They really did that bad of a job? AMG is one of the most respected names in the industry and their moded mercedes are excellent all around. But I guess you are the expert in vipers so you know what you are talking about. Just a thought:could it be that AMG didn't try that hard to mod it maybe they just did a pach up job just so they can say they did it.

(\__/)
Old 04-02-2002, 03:10 AM   #14
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

I personally don't know what their motivation was to do the Viper. here is their web site:

http://www.startech.de/homee.htm

I will say that the only car that the Gemans were interested in when they came to the US Chrysler plants was the "Wiper". It took the Chrylser people a while to figure out what they were saying.

Brad

Old 04-05-2002, 01:30 PM   #15
vettemaan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to vettemaan Send a message via AIM to vettemaan
i can see it now... when you viper fans find out the gt-40 is faster all of a sudden PRICE MATTERS hmmmm us corvette guys feel pretty dang good ;-)