Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
masonmc
AF Newbie

Dual 12v adapters (Under Hood)

IN the 2003 XE XTerra with the Sport package they are listed. I can NOT find them. Where are they? Any help greatly appreciated!
masonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
They're not at all what you think, and nobody has definitively gotten to the bottom of it. They are definitely NOT cigarette-lighter style outlets. They're in the left rear of the engine bay as seen from the front, just a short piece of the wiring loom hanging off of and tied down to the main loom right against the inside of the fender near the firewall. No idea what's supposed to plug in there.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
CitizenXterra
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CitizenXterra Send a message via MSN to CitizenXterra Send a message via Yahoo to CitizenXterra
12 Volt Leads in Sport Package

The leads in the sport package are actually very well thought out and placed in the perfect locations for future additions. The lead which is ahead of the radiator in the center of the X is perfect for those that have added a nice new bumper and winch. the winch will plug directly into the lead. No new wiring to run. The other lead (right side of car against the fire wall of the engine towards the main cabin) is perfect for when you have to add that air compressor for airing up the tires after a trail run! Great thinking by Nissan to just make it easy for us.
CitizenXterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:02 AM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dual 12v adapters (Under Hood)

Huh??? No way in hell Nissan put in wiring capable of powering a winch in front of the radiator. What you're seeing is the leftover pigtail for the A/C condenser cooling fan that was dropped in 2001.
And I seriously doubt the one in the rear corner would power a decent compressor either. Maybe those cheapie ones, but nothing any real off-roader would use...
Old 11-04-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
CitizenXterra
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CitizenXterra Send a message via MSN to CitizenXterra Send a message via Yahoo to CitizenXterra
Perhaps I am confused.

You may know more than I do here OffroadX, but as I understand it Warn's most popular off-road winch the XD9000 requires a 12 volt lead to run. There is an option for 24 as well. Warn sells a 2.4 guage wire (about 1/4" thick) as a portable drop. Anyway, the drop in the 04 X that I bought is in fact the 12 volt lead but the wiring is 5 guage. Maybe I will have to burn up the wiring and find out the hard way it isn't enough. Can't hurt to try since that wire drop is good for nothing else. Engine compartment fires be damned! As for the drop on the side of the firewall. I actually haven't found a compressor small enough to fit in the engine compartment or between the fendor and firewall (where I mounted my compressor on my 96 Path) that requires more than a 12 volt lead and the five guage wiring. I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch and the X is CLEARLY brand new to me, but just looking at the specs the compressor at least should work...the winch...well...what is that burning smell?
CitizenXterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dual 12v adapters (Under Hood)

Got a digital camera? Take some pictures of the wiring/locations you're describing. I want to be sure we're talking about the same stuff.
What I remember of what I believed to be the "outlet" in the back of the engine bay from year or two ago was maybe 14 ga. wire at best, probably 18 ga. since it seemed too floppy to be 14.
I can imagine the other wiring behind the grille being a bit more robust, those fans can suck some juice, but I still wouldn't expect anything along the lines of 5 ga. for that sort of thing. Maybe 10, 8 tops. I'll have to look at mine if I can remember to, but I don't recall ever seeing anything single-digit gauge on my X anywhere other than the battery leads, alternator lead, and starter.