Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
madnance
AF Newbie

Angry Headlights go out

I have a weird one with my 1993 J30T. The right headlights turn off after about 5 minutes, and thereafter come on and off at seemingly random intervals of about 5-20 mins. Neither the high or low beams work when the right side is off. When the low beams are on, sometimes putting on the high beams turns them off. I have replaced the bulb in the low beam but it didn't change anything. Anyone got some ideas before I spend a fortune at the dealer?
madnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
agoodb
AF Newbie

had the same

Hi I had the same problem It’s the headlight relay its located on the left side of the hood it’s a black box closer to the windshield sometimes you can hear it tick when you turn your headlight on and off you can order the part online everywhere I cant name any place because advertisements aren’t allowed should cost around $40 if you have time you can do it yourself its only a little hard because it’s a tight spot but the relay its self just snaps in and out
You can email me if you want more info
hope i can help
agoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
felixxilef
AF Newbie

Mine had a similar problem and I had the dealer replace the relay but it didn't fix it. They looked all over and after repeated attempts to locate the problem they finally discovered a loose wire in the TRUNK!? Maybe something to do with the taillights?
felixxilef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
madnance
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help all. I got a new headlight relay and that fixed it. I replaced it myself. If you unscrew three 12 mm nuts from the left wheel well, it allows you to move some control module aside so you can get to the headlight relay.
madnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:28 AM   #5
thepaper
AF Newbie

headlight relay

hey guys can you show me how is the headlight realy look like? and do you have picture of the location where to put it in the car thanks!! because mine has the same problem with the headlight
thepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
dreamweaver_2002
AF Newbie

Re: Headlights go out

I am having a similar problem with the left headlight. I do not have a dealer nearby and can't seem to locate the relay using the wiring diagram. Can someone contact me or post a reply here that might assist me. Also, is it the standard relay that is used in the main fuse/relay box? Thanks for the assistance.
dreamweaver_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
kenok
AF Newbie

I also have a similar problem with my 95 J30t. I think the culprit must be the headlight replay. Could anyone please give me a link where I can order the relay online?

My email address is zhoujunok@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot!
kenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
infinman
AF Enthusiast

re:headlights go out

I'm assuming you have a U.S. model , not Can.w/DTRL.The relay is located where the l/ fender meets the firewall.Access is gained by removing the 3 nuts{inthe wheel well} holding the cruise actuator.The relay is black and 3" square.In my 10yrs. as Infiniti tech. The only reason these relays fail is they develope "dry solder connections" where connector terminals meet pc board.If your good with a solder gun and have a magnifier glass{to spot bad connetions,look closely as I usually find 3-5}you can fix it youself.If not, take it to a tv/radio repair guy.Ask them to repair "dry solder connection".You may chip the relay case by trying to remove the pc board from the case.Done carefully you won't have problems.If you do chip it , Make syre when your done you seal the case with silicone or WEHY.
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #9
tbell44
AF Newbie

relay?

I am having the same problem with my headlight going on and off. Can anyone tell me where I can get one of those relays online? Thanks!
tbell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #10
bccomm2002
AF Newbie

hey guys i just replaced my headlight relay yesterday. Its a double gang relay with 4prongs on the left side and 6 prongs on the right side its located under the hood on the drivers side on the left front quarter panel next to the brake master cylinder in the corner. I called a dealer and was told it was about $51.00, went to a local foreign car junk yard and got it for $30.
bccomm2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
falfool
AF Newbie

pics of the head light relay

PICS OF THE HEADLIGHT RELAY....
http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?...member&id=2994
and click on my photos
falfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:56 AM   #12
royallap
AF Newbie

Re: re:headlights go out

Thanks infinman!!!!! I repaired my relay as you said and it solved all my problems!! (Well,at least those related to the headlights). The only thing I did different was to solder ALL the solder joints, since I wanted to make sure I got the bad ones. Theres only 20-30 joints anyway and they are all large. I only added solder to a couple of them, as there was plenty of original solder on most all of them. I just heated each joint with a soldering iron till the solder liquified.
royallap is offline   Reply With Quote