Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
Infinitilover
AF Newbie

Unhappy Any clues for mystery electrical problems?

I have a 93 Infiniti J30 with 78,000 miles on it. The problem: It keeps draining batteries. For example, July 03 put in a new battery myself, Dec. 03, dead so dealer puts in new battery. March 04, dead. Dealer puts in a another new battery and a new alternator ($361). The very next day, it's dead. Dealer puts in a new battery and kept it three days to see if it would start, and it was fine. Now again, Aug. it's dead. Dealer has put in a new battery but can't determine what is wrong.
They tell me when the tow truck brought it in both the battery and alternator were "down." But the next day the car started and the battery and alternator were "up" without them doing anything to it. Does anyone out there have any experience with this or clues as to what they should be looking at? The dealership tells me they have checked fuses. Could it be a moisture problem? We had torrential rains over the weekend and the car sits out on the street. It had been fine on Friday. Dead on Monday. Could something have dried out by the next day?
As additional information, the audio system died about a year and a half ago and I haven't replaced it because I don't know what to put in it. (I have been using a transistor radio - pitiful.) Had an intermittant problem with a headlight and it was fixed in April 04.
Would sure appreciate if any of you Sherlock Holmes mechanics could advise me.
Infinitilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Speedy_1234 Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy_1234
Re: Any clues for mystery electrical problems?

Well I have the same problem but Over here where I leave the streets get flood and well My 94 got water up the air filter and well motor got jam and well also with the battery it drain it and also the alternator is fine but same thing has happend to me
Speedy_1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
infinman
AF Enthusiast

May or may not be your problem/sounds like an intermittant battery drain.J's do have a common problem with abs actuator relays intermittantly stuck on after car is shut off.When this occurs you will hear a faint hum coming from under the hood after you shut down the car.If you do,replace both abs relays{under hood}.If this doesn't apply you need to get a hold of a good tech that is familiar with battery drain issues.
good luck
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Yes but mine got all the wires wet but do you think that the main wire meaning the battery to starter do I have to change them
Speedy_1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Infinitilover
AF Newbie

Thanks. I really appreicate you taking time to respond. I'll start listening for that. When you say get a hold of a good tech, how would you suggest I go about that? There is only one Infiniti dealer in town and you'd think they'd know all the idiosyncracies of the Js. And, I hate to sound stupid but what does abs stand for? And, from your description, I'm assuming that since the problem is intermittant you wouldn't hear that hum every time but only some times? Another factor here. On most days I drive the car only short distances (hence the 78,000 miles on a 93) I only work about a mile and a half away. When I leave work I drive maybe a half mile to the gym. Then home - 1 mile. Just thought I'd mention that. Thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

well I can say that may be you don't have a put a good battery
Old 08-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Infinitilover
AF Newbie

Infiniti dealerships don't scrimp on batteries. They are top of the line.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
infinman
AF Enthusiast

If you have a starter alternator rebuilder in town I would try them.Tell them to hunt down an excessive battery drain issue.I'm also concerned about the short trips.A battery is designed to start the engine.Then the alternator takes over and runs all accessories and recharges the battery.The short trips might not be enough to properly bring the battery back to full charge.Each day you start,the battery gets weaker and weaker till finally you have too weak a battery to start the engine.In short, you are taking more from the battery than you are giving back.{hope that makes sense}.You may have to drive more or use a trickle charger at night.Hope this sheds some light
Good luck
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
Infinitilover
AF Newbie

Thanks, that makes sense. However, if the short trips are resulting in a weakened battery that finally gives out, wouldn't the symptoms be that you'd get a few weak cranks before it stopped? My experience has been it starts right up one day and the next day it won't even click. You can't even open the door with the remote unlock.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Well what if the put the computer in it will it show.

Wait I just remember there a guy here that said nobody could find a shorted in the car but when he found was a shorted in one of the trunks bulb or something in the back I just can't remember when I find it i post it
Old 09-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Do you have sound system in the car
Old 09-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
beekahx4
AF Newbie

I have the same problem. tons of electrical problems. lights don't work for the display when i turn on the headlights, ac stays on even when its off now and my battery drains when everything looks likes its off. The battery draining started around 6 monhs ago. bought a new battery and that seemed to fix the problem. now I have the same problem again. Since I am a college student and paid a ton of money to just change timing belt, water pump, and something else in there. So short story, I just disconnect the 2 red plugs connecting to the battery overnight. Is a pain in the ass, but when I wake up in the morning to drive to class, it starts everytime!
beekahx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
jjhanlon
AF Newbie

mystery electrical problems

I found your question while searching for a problem that I now have. A while back, we had the same problem with the battery discharging for no appearant reason. It turned out to be that sometimes my wife did not close the door tight enough for the interior lamps to go out, leaving them on for extended periods. This drained even a new battery. Good luck.
jjhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria