Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
lucille95
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to lucille95
Pontiac Bonneville 1995 fuel Pump Relay??

I have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that has been having the same problem for about a year. In one year's time, I have had the crank sensor replaced three times (by three different mechanics) two new fuel filters and a new alternator.

Problem: Car is stalling randomly. It will stall when it is idling, when I'm slowing to turn a corner, while driving 65 on the freeway. Sometimes it will start right away, sometimes it takes a while for it to start again, when it won't start at all, it gets towed to the mechanic. Occasionally, when it would stall, there would be a clicking sound coming from inside the glove compartment, it seemed. It didn't make this sound all the time, and the mechanic never heard it. This last time that I had it taken in, mechanic replaced the crank sensor and alternator, said those were the errors he got when he ran it on the machine.

After replacing the alternator and crank sensor, I was able to drive the car. Four blocks from the mechanic, car stalled. He was closing up when I left, so I brought it home, stalled several times on the way, clicking noise was there every time. I started reading up on my car when I got it home and thought it might be the fuel pump relay (that was where the noise was coming from) Installed a new fuel pump relay and car started up. Ran for a while, took it for a short trip around the neighborhood, ran fine. Tried to start it later in the day, no start, same clicking. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and off while this clicking is going on. I put my hand on the fuel pump relay and I can feel the clicking inside the relay.

Now it will start, idle a little and die. When it dies, the relay clicks (it's a fast, loud clicking). I don't know where to go next. Any ideas??
lucille95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
zimaad
AF Enthusiast

it could possibly be the ignition module, fuel pump sending unit, or also a short in the car somewhere. Check the main ground terminals for good clean contact. What codes was the mechanic pulling? (the numbers..they may be on your bill) Sometimes the maxi-fuse center under the dash has some issues shorting and will cause the car to die. Good luck...stalling issues stink. I just went though this with one and hopefully it's fixed now.
zimaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
cscottyr
AF Newbie

Re: Pontiac Bonneville 1995 fuel Pump Relay??

Hi lucille95,

Did you ever solve this problem? I have a similar problem and have not solved it yet. Do your accessories work when the vehicle stalls? Let me know.

cscottyr
cscottyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
fadetoblack51
AF Newbie

If you know where the relay is I would try replacing it. I just replaced mine on my 88 bonnie and i think it solved my problems. It was only $11 from carquest, far less than a new alternator.
fadetoblack51 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville