Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 10:41 PM   #1
James McA
AF Newbie

Tips on buying a used Range Rover...

Hi, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a used Range Rover, probably a 94-96 model. yes, i know it's kinda old but it's the only model that i cant afford. the Mk III are totally out of the question. i just want to know what am i supposed to look out for when purchasing a used Mk II model. what are the problems that usually one would face. and are there any "design fault" that you know exist on the early MkII model? and are they any recalls being made to any RR model?

How should i maintain it (the right way)... i assume it will be a bit diff from any Japanese 4x4. Currently i own a 1994 Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero/Montero GLS (it's the 3L V6 model). i never offroad it and i intent to keep my new "old" Range Rover the same way too.

and plus i would like to know which model do you recomend i purchase? the 4.0L 4.6L or maybe the 2.5 turbodiesel (i think it's a BMW diesel engine right?) what are the pros and cons of each particular model. fuel consumption also plays a part in it. i know it'll be a lot worse than my currnt 4x4, i just wants to know whats the regular MPG that most of the owners here averages?

anyway thanks for the help i really appreciate it... thank you.
James McA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
dram-
AF Newbie

Unhappy

my advise dont buy one, unless u wannt do that spring suspension i read somewhere on this forum....

mines in the shop every month,,, i think everything in the car is almost new now ,,,

but i wanna get rid of this thing ... only thing good is it looks good .., :P and that not good enough for me ,, i should have got a e36 m3 instead of this

its up to you,,, but it wasnt a smart choice i made,,,\stick with newer cars that have a warrenty
dram- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
glenncof
AF Regular

I have a 1991 RR that I got with 63K miles on it and now is at 169K. It took until about 100K miles to get broken in and just fail normally from wearout.

I think buying one at 100K that has been well maintained is the way to go.

Of course check the forums for likely failure modes and inquire about repairs. Then you'll be prepared if something does go wrong.

Specific to your request (4.0/4.6), I would go for a 1999(+) since that was first year for Bosch electronics (problems pior year). Of course air suspension issues...
glenncof is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque