Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
19Hillary69
AF Newbie

Re: tow/haul not working

Sounds like I am the only one fighting the covers on the steering column to get access. After much googling I find these two sites that are very helpful. So for any others in my situation, try these.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6245008_remo...evy-truck.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7248969_do-r...ilverado_.html
19Hillary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Hillary69 View Post
This site may be helpful to me....and others.....showing disassembly.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...tml#msg1630689

that info should get you going. good detailed info/pictures.

I knew it was out there .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
19Hillary69
AF Newbie

Finally fixed mine by soldering in extensions to both white wires in the orange casing. Now works great. My problem with removing the lever on the left which allows the movement of the steering wheel. People just said pull it out....sounded easy but my fingers couldn't do it. Finally made a wire loop over it and jerked the wire, lever came right off. Thanks for all the help.
19Hillary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Hillary69 For This Useful Post:
heckufaguy (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
heckufaguy
AF Newbie

I joined just to say THANKS!

Purchased a used 2000 suburban for towing our travel trailer and hit the column switch...and nothing.
my Orange wire looked intact, under the first fastener on the column. But a light tug and it came apart. Soldered in a little longer wires, and I'm back in business.

Thanks alot everyone!
heckufaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
chevy54307
AF Newbie

I don't see a broken wire on my 04... I then tested each wire with a test light to see if either one had power to then and they didn't any ideas on where to go from here ?
chevy54307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy54307 View Post
I don't see a broken wire on my 04... I then tested each wire with a test light to see if either one had power to then and they didn't any ideas on where to go from here ?
first your use of a test light is not to be used to troubleshoot these modern computer controlled vehicles. now if you have some trailers or pre 1975 type vehicles lawnmowers or even some electrical house wiring test lights can be used.

with a volt ohm meter you will find that the wires are with a break. you will use the ohms scale / resistance ability of the meter. the vehicle will be off . you do not check for volts .

as was mentioned many times with this issue ///// the wires are too short they then break. the insulation looks good but the small copper conductor breaks. good luck .
Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
Moses1992
AF Newbie

This was the problem! After about a year without my tow/haul button working, I finally had time to look into it. Easy fix. Thanks for all the pointers!
Moses1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #23
Leapyear
AF Newbie

Smile Re: tow/haul not working

I signed up to this forum just to say thanks. I opened the cover on the steering column and sure enough two out of the four small wires in the orange casing were broken. I left it apart to show the dealer but the still said that the couldn't slice in a wire and I'd have to change the whole shifter for $288 (parts&labor&taxes). After having another shop tell me the could try but not guarantee anything I just fixed it myself in the parking lot with some wires strippers and electrical tape! The wires are so fine it took me a while to strip them without snapping them. No wonder this is such a common problem with wires that small!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #24
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapyear View Post
I signed up to this forum just to say thanks. I opened the cover on the steering column and sure enough two out of the four small wires in the orange casing were broken. I left it apart to show the dealer but the still said that the couldn't slice in a wire and I'd have to change the whole shifter for $288 (parts&labor&taxes). After having another shop tell me the could try but not guarantee anything I just fixed it myself in the parking lot with some wires strippers and electrical tape! The wires are so fine it took me a while to strip them without snapping them. No wonder this is such a common problem with wires that small!
these small sized wires are because GM designed these to fail. the issue you had is very common. wires too short and the wire so small with little flexing it is going to break. no big deal to fix why pay for a repair like this when GM did this intentionally . solder and some heat shrink works good also .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado