Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

2002 Silverado Oil Cooler Fitting Leaks

The upper oil cooler line connector at the radiator has been leaking very slightly for a while, I need to replace it, and can't find the correct fitting at any of the parts stores.
Truck is an HD 2500, 6.0, 4x4, crew cab. 247,000 miles. The parts stores all come up with 2 part numbers, if I recall correctly they were Dorman P/N 800-607 & 800-622. Neither one is right, both are too small on the radiator side. I may have to go to the dealer to get the right one. I did replace the radiator with a Napa unit several years ago, and it didn't include cooler fittings, so I pulled the factory ones off my old radiator and they fit the new one just fine. These are quick-connect fittings, the trans side has replaceable rubber o-rings on them, but the oil fittings have what appears to be a ring of hard, black Teflon material in them that is not removable.
I was thinking I posted about this some time ago, but I am not able to use the Search function on this dumb smartphone, I apologize if answers already exist.
Anyone know a good P/N or source for the correct fitting?
Thanks, -Jim.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Re: 2002 Silverado Oil Cooler Fitting Leaks

I was just looking at the Rock Auto site, they show the same 2 Dorman P/N's, and a pair of GM P/N's. They have pictures of 1 GM part, (which looks like the Dorman 800-607), so I am guessing the other GM part may be equivalent to the Dorman 800-622. Baffled. One of the part store guys even looked at year model 2001 & 2003 listings, and they show the same 2 smaller fittings.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Jim View Post
I was just looking at the Rock Auto site, they show the same 2 Dorman P/N's, and a pair of GM P/N's. They have pictures of 1 GM part, (which looks like the Dorman 800-607), so I am guessing the other GM part may be equivalent to the Dorman 800-622. Baffled. One of the part store guys even looked at year model 2001 & 2003 listings, and they show the same 2 smaller fittings.

I never messed with the eng oil lines before. I would think an O ring would be used. because you replaced the radiator that might be why you have a leak now.....perhaps the NAPA radiator is the part that is messed up.

post how you fixed it ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

I am certain the radiator is not the problem. I looked at my records, and I replaced it in 2009. The fitting I am looking for has 7/8" pipe thread on the rad side, with an O-Ring at the base of where the threads meet the hex. The leak began almost 1 year ago, and it was barely noticeable, but it has slowly gotten worse. I replaced the O-Ring, made no difference, and I can see it drip from the other end, where the steel line slides into it. I replaced the spring clip on that side, which seemed to tighten it up a bit. Went to the Chevy dealer yesterday, he looked it up by my VIN, said it showed a steel fitting, (which is what my original one is), so I bought it. Got home, and the thread side is too small, it is 3/4" thread and the inside diameter where the oil line fits is 3/8", (mine has 1/2" line).
Beginning to think I have an oddball truck, like maybe the assembly plant stuck a duramax radiator in it, or something non-standard. The dealer parts man said they only list one other fitting, which is for the non-HD trucks, and it is aluminum. No info on size, and he didn't have it in Stock. He gave me another dealership that has it, I may go look at it tomorrow, but hard to imagine it would be larger than the HD part? I will post up after I check it out...
Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

[quote=Ol'Jim;7183527]I am certain the radiator is not the problem.

the engine oil lines should be 1/2 inch tubing .. also I believe aluminum. but metal could be steel...

I would not be surprised if GM dropped parts for out vehicles over 10 yrs. old.. bankruptcy and data loss with the old GM ..

It was stated by GM is not responsible for any vehicles produced after bankruptcy.

I am thinking NAPA would have the correct O rings / seals .
Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

J-Cat, you may be right, the hard line might be aluminum. Which is not good, being a soft metal, it has probably worn from vibration over the many miles. And it seems every time I take things apart and reconnect it, the leak gets a bit worse. Had to put it back together to drive to work today, and I wish I would have zip-tied a shop rag around that line & fitting this morning, to act as a diaper. It is probably going to make a mess under the hood by the time I get home this evening. 76 mile round trip.
Just a thought here, I wonder if the big block HD2500 trucks use a different cooler fitting? I may search the parts websites as if I have an 8.1 and see if a different P/N comes up...
Old 04-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Jim View Post
J-Cat, you may be right, the hard line might be aluminum. Which is not good, being a soft metal, it has probably worn from vibration over the many miles. And it seems every time I take things apart and reconnect it, the leak gets a bit worse. Had to put it back together to drive to work today, and I wish I would have zip-tied a shop rag around that line & fitting this morning, to act as a diaper. It is probably going to make a mess under the hood by the time I get home this evening. 76 mile round trip.
Just a thought here, I wonder if the big block HD2500 trucks use a different cooler fitting? I may search the parts websites as if I have an 8.1 and see if a different P/N comes up...
the 96 I have has oil cooler lines made of Aluminum. HD cooling . I still have never messed with them..

did you try NAPA ?
dealerships parts people can be not very helpful on old vehicles. I also doubt they would just have some seals/O rings for this .. probably you would have to buy the complete line kit assy.

the leaking is due to the seals hardening most likely.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

this is what I found some guy said with how he did the fix.

For a Dorman product, this was a disappointment. The oil cooler lines leaked at the radiator worse than the old lines. Clearly, the O.D of the tubing is just slightly smaller than the OEM tubing, which causes heavy leakage. I had to remove and install over-sized "O" rings to get it to stop leaking. Once I did that, it has been OK. And in all fairness, those cheap, snap-lock connectors are junk. No wonder GM went bankrupt!

now just saying it is possible that radiator is not exact as OEM so then these lines are leaking ..also he says O rings.

heavy duty 6L 2002 2500 silverado truck.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

J-Cat, thanks for sharing that. I did replace the O-Ring on the radiator side of the fitting, even though it is not leaking at that joint. The aluminum pipe has a taper on it, about 1/" from the end, which kind-of seats into a matching taper in the (female) connector fitting bore. But the actual sealing is done with a hard black ring which is made into the bore of the connector fitting, at first I thought it was Teflon, (which is usually white), but it seems very hard, almost like ceramic. I am positive that is where the leak is coming from, I don't know if it is the black ring, or the soft pipe material, but I am guessing one or the other must have worn a bit from vibration, or many thousands of heat-cycles, expansion/contraction, etc.
Both the pipe, and the fitting are the original pieces from GM. I do believe if I can get my hands on a replacement fitting, it would solve the leak. My biggest problem, is the GM catalogs only show the 2 smaller fittings, both have smaller threaded (radiator) side than mine.
UPDATE- Today I am going to pick up the GM fitting for an 8.1 (496 C.I.) big block truck. The parts counter man at the Chevy dealer thinks I am crazy, but he went ahead and ordered it for me anyway.
(It does say the threads on it are 23.30 MM, which translates almost exactly to 7/8", and that is the size of the threaded side on my fitting). I have long ago heard that sometimes the factory would make substitutions on the assembly line, if they ran short of a part. So maybe my truck was built with a radiator from an 8.1 HD2500?
I will post up after I get it and find out if it fits...
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

if you can post a picture of the leak .
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

you find the seal yet ?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado