Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:33 AM   #61
harlockssx
AF Newbie

Exclamation

My 2 cents:

KA=truck motor

SR=purpose built turbocharged performance motor

You can disagree if you want, but I beat the hell out of my SR20DET (I have a 180SX & live in Okinawa Japan) and it's NEVER failed me! I'm running 1.3 Bar of boost with a Garret GT-25R hybrid (T-28 exhaust section with T-04S compressor), HKS 264 cams, & more-about 400 Hp. The important thing with the SR (or any engine you modify) is the tune. You have to have the correct air/fuel ratio at all times under boost, if not, ANY engine will be toast in short order. I prefer the SR due to the massive amount of support & aftermarket available. The KA just isn't designed to do the same thing...does that make it a bad motor, no. It's just not optimum for a truly high performance application.
harlockssx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:11 AM   #62
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
you do know the KA was used in racing way before the SR was even thought about? LOL
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:07 AM   #63
Zanark
AF Enthusiast

was there EVER a Turbo KA engine from the factory? People keep telling me there was and I have NEVER heard of this before.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #64
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TheLogikal1
Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

there never was

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs
kenwood flip out 7'' screen

1995 Nissan 240sx 5 speed (dead)
GP Sports Spec-D exhaust
Custom Carbon Fiber Intake
17'' ricer wheels in Kumhos

hahaha stole this pose off of koguchi...my shirt makes me look fat...ahaha
TheLogikal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:35 AM   #65
lodownlv
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to lodownlv Send a message via Yahoo to lodownlv

im not engine builder but from what i have read and know about the specs of the ka24de and the sr20 is this. first of all i own a 240sx ka24de RWD engine and my friend owns a sr20 in a G20 FWD Both Stock! I smoked him with the 240 sx with no mods! the diffrences with the 2 engines is this. the ka24de has a longer stroke. meaning that the pistions travle a greater distince VS the sr20. The sr20 however has bigger pistons and head meaning that it is good for horse power. however sometimes Tork is what is going to win your race next to lets say a Camaro,Z28 because by the time your horse power builds up the z28 is going to be gone from the amount of tork behind the engine and the RWD. so this is what im trying to say.. The RWD 240sx which has more tork than a g20 which has more Hp and less tork!
do the math.
open for smart ass remarks on my posting!
thanks!
lodownlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:38 AM   #66
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodownlv
im not engine builder but from what i have read and know about the specs of the ka24de and the sr20 is this. first of all i own a 240sx ka24de RWD engine and my friend owns a sr20 in a G20 FWD Both Stock! I smoked him with the 240 sx with no mods! the diffrences with the 2 engines is this. the ka24de has a longer stroke. meaning that the pistions travle a greater distince VS the sr20. The sr20 however has bigger pistons and head meaning that it is good for horse power. however sometimes Tork is what is going to win your race next to lets say a Camaro,Z28 because by the time your horse power builds up the z28 is going to be gone from the amount of tork behind the engine and the RWD. so this is what im trying to say.. The RWD 240sx which has more tork than a g20 which has more Hp and less tork!
do the math.
thanks!
it's torque. Torque = HP...it's where you make your power in the rpm range that changes the peaks.

An SR20 from a G20 is a totally different animal than a SR20DET.
Now my Kensai, I curse you to be a Ronin and with the my remaining spirit I, beseech Chimata-No-Kami (God of crossroads, highways and footpaths), to have you wander through time and distance lands, seeking a new master.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #67
lodownlv
AF Regular

thats funny totaly diffrent its the same block and head the only diffrent thing is the piston's injectors and a turbo. its the same engine dude from what ive read sr20 has less torque but more Hp than a ka24de
Old 12-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #68
lazyfcker
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lazyfcker Send a message via Yahoo to lazyfcker
Ok i am new to the nissan seen, but for past couple weeks, and months i have been doing but researching what i should when i get a 240 that im looking forward to buy before feb. So im taking this time to look into what way i should go.....the ka24det or the Sr20Det. i have pretty much made my mind up just looking for the what seller. anyways. Is it just me or do some people tend to leave out what type of Sr20Det motor they are talking about or is that person just talking about the redtop. How about comparing to a blacktop (s14 or s15) especiailly the s15 blacktop. I think that a lot of time people talk about the redtop because it is most commonly heard about correct??? Why dont you compare the Ka-T to one of the blacktops. And when someone posted cant remember who was saying to fix up the Ka it would come to a total of $2500 i dont remember seeing any turbo added to that price or did i just miss the turbo added into that price??? Sorry if i mislead any information in this thread. and yes i understand that that blacktop only had 20 more hp than the redtop.
lazyfcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #69
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
thats funny totaly diffrent its the same block and head the only diffrent thing is the piston's injectors and a turbo. its the same engine dude from what ive read sr20 has less torque but more Hp than a ka24de
block is different, just the transmission mounting should clue anyone in on that. Cams are different. I believe the G20 fires in a different order than the JDM SR20DE. Intake is different....

Regardless look at the specs for the FWD vs RWD SR20DE:

FWD: 108kW (144hp) / 178 n-M (131 ft-lb)

RWD: 119kW (160hp) / 188 n-M (139 ft-lb)

to me a 16 hp difference in both NA engines is no where near the same engine.

You are right about the RWD version having slightly more HP (5hp) and a lot less torque (21ft-lb) than the KA24DE
Now my Kensai, I curse you to be a Ronin and with the my remaining spirit I, beseech Chimata-No-Kami (God of crossroads, highways and footpaths), to have you wander through time and distance lands, seeking a new master.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #70
lodownlv
AF Regular

i learned somthing new i didnt know the block was diffrent. i thought a sr20det FWD will bolt rite in a FWD G20.
correct?

horizontal distance is important in determining the torque in an engine. when a piston is at the top of its stroke, the connecting rod points straight down at the center of the crankshaft. No torque is generated in this position, because only the force that acts on the lever in a direction perpendicular to the lever generates a torque. meaning the longer the stroke the more the torque as stated the ka24de is better for torque which will win you the race!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #71
lodownlv
AF Regular

a message for harlockssx dam dude you have no idea what your talking about your from japan. whats the point for you to build a race i mean rice car anway their so mutch trafic their their is no where to go. :-)
Just playing dude
Old 12-11-2004, 10:44 AM   #72
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
i learned somthing new i didnt know the block was diffrent. i thought a sr20det FWD will bolt rite in a FWD G20.
correct?

horizontal distance is important in determining the torque in an engine. when a piston is at the top of its stroke, the connecting rod points straight down at the center of the crankshaft. No torque is generated in this position, because only the force that acts on the lever in a direction perpendicular to the lever generates a torque. meaning the longer the stroke the more the torque as stated the ka24de is better for torque which will win you the race!
the only problem is there isn't a FWD SR20DET that I know of.

the piston stuff is not so direct on the torque that is output...
Old 12-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #73
logik23
Banned

Send a message via MSN to logik23
There is a FWD SR20DET, in the Bluebird and Pulsar GTi-R (or something like that), they can be made to fit in a G20. Damn you to need to stop this, especially in this 8 months old thread.
logik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:24 AM   #74
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23
There is a FWD SR20DET, in the Bluebird and Pulsar GTi-R (or something like that), they can be made to fit in a G20. Damn you to need to stop this, especially in this 8 months old thread.
I was talking USDM...but what difference does the age of a thread make...it would be alot more helpful if people bumped a related topic than start another one with the same title.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #75
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

Quote:
do the math.
thanks!
Alright, the KA does have more torque(DUH?). It also has a larger bore and stroke than the SR. If you ever race someone with more horsepower than you, you will notice when you hit third gear, they kind of just leave you. It happened to me when I raced a 5.0 before the turbo went on. I was even with him until I hit third and he walked. You are not going to beat a Z28 stock. Even if you have 2000ft/lbs of torque and 25hp, that just means you'll have really good 60' and 330' but a honda civic stock is going to beat you. HP and Torque are equally important. Increasing dispacement in general usually gives equal increases in torque and HP. Stroke will usually tend to give slightly more torque than hp.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX