Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #46
ringthree
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ringthree
Here is my first (set of) question(s): What should I look for in an 91-93 S13 Coupe 5-speed. Are there common problems that occur on these cars, bad trannies, clutches, electronics, etc? Are there specific options so that I will know if it is an SE or "base" trim? Are there any other trims beside the SE and the base trims? Out of the 91-93 cars, is any year better than any other?

Second (set of) question(s): What are some the unexpected costs of a SR20 swap? I dont plan to immidiately do aftermarket improvements so I'm talk about any hidden costs with the swap. I know you have to get an extended wairing harness, but what else should I expect that I am not now expecting?

Thanks for the help and I hope you use my questions.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:04 PM   #47
hukster00
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hukster00
i got a question duno if it has ben asked i search could find any thing can you put an rb26 head on to an rb25 block ,i heard is better and flows more ?

thanks
hukster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 06:22 PM   #48
R.W.240
Banned

Yeah ive heard the head swap is possible a car on meggala.com supposedly had it.
R.W.240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #49
hukster00
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hukster00
thanks, i went there and found this on one of the gtr forum links

"Yes it will fit straight on. The Rb26 uses 12mm head bolts, the RB25 uses 10mm head bolts, you could use either."

"RB26 head is same casting with same sized ports, valves and combustion chambers. There is no power advantage in doing the swap."

duno about the power advantages but i heard that it flows more then rb25 head is that true ?
hukster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:53 AM   #50
tfhwargt
AF Newbie

when and where did you start drifting, just late night curvy roads or are there drifting clinics anywhere? i figured suggestion box would be best for this newbie question.
tfhwargt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:44 PM   #51
Suislide
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tfhwargt
when and where did you start drifting, just late night curvy roads or are there drifting clinics anywhere? i figured suggestion box would be best for this newbie question.
try the "drifting" forum under the "Racing" subsection for stuff like this.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:33 PM   #52
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by R.W.240
Yeah ive heard the head swap is possible a car on meggala.com supposedly had it.
If meggala said it, prbably its true..he knows his shit

Drifting forum is a waste of time
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Dorikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:54 PM   #53
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

how about an sr20det install faq. a VERY detailed one. i know you can always search around and shit, but since we ARE making a faq, why doesnt someone make a good install faq? that will prevent this question from popping up every other day in the forums.

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #54
Myrrdex
AF Enthusiast

1996 Coupe 240sx - 5000 dollars with cover charge tax .. cause it is at a dealership. In good condition 139000miles.
1992 Fastback 240sx - 3500 dollars in GREAT condition. 131000 miles

which one? i cant decide.
Myrrdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM   #55
kkw4p
AF Newbie

There was an issue of "Turbo Imports" or one such magazine (I'll findo ut which) that said that the KA block would blow (between cyls 2 and 3, if I remember correctly) if fed more than 10 lbs of boost without some reinforcement. Can this be substantiated/denied?

It came from an article about a guy tha hit either 400 or 500 whp with a KA-T.
kkw4p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:57 AM   #56
kkw4p
AF Newbie

Re: 240sx FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkw4p
There was an issue of "Turbo Imports" or one such magazine (I'll findo ut which) that said that the KA block would blow (between cyls 2 and 3, if I remember correctly) if fed more than 10 lbs of boost without some reinforcement. Can this be substantiated/denied?

It came from an article about a guy tha hit either 400 or 500 whp with a KA-T.
It was SCC, the issue where they built the turbo silvia for 3k. The guy went through 3 KA blocks while turboing. Upon reviewing the article it was mostly Jim Wolfe's fault for not putting in fuel management, but the engine still blew chunks into the TC. -Moral- Fuel management critical when doing a KA-T project.
kkw4p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:10 PM   #57
TrueWhiteBoy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TrueWhiteBoy
Alright, I've read through the stickies, and damn that took a while.

Anyways, I'm hoping I didn't overlook something you already answered, but this is a slightly unique question.

Basically, I'm a poor college student, who is essentially considering buying a 89-93 240SX. They're pretty cheap, and I hear insurance isn't too bad for them. But I was thinking about buying a 240 for 2k (there's an abundance over here) and getting the engine swap done, my friend just got his done for 5k. Anyways, what are your guys' thoughts? I'm honestly not looking for anything really fast as it would be a daily driver, but I would like 200HP+.

Also, I don't know how to drive stick yet, so I was thinking that I could learn on the 240 before the swap, as a new tranny would be included.

I'm also open to other cars, so if anyone has suggestions in this field, feel free to list em.

Well thanks for any and all help.

-Rob
TrueWhiteBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 AM   #58
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Re: 240sx FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWhiteBoy
Alright, I've read through the stickies, and damn that took a while.

Anyways, I'm hoping I didn't overlook something you already answered, but this is a slightly unique question.

Basically, I'm a poor college student, who is essentially considering buying a 89-93 240SX. They're pretty cheap, and I hear insurance isn't too bad for them. But I was thinking about buying a 240 for 2k (there's an abundance over here) and getting the engine swap done, my friend just got his done for 5k. Anyways, what are your guys' thoughts? I'm honestly not looking for anything really fast as it would be a daily driver, but I would like 200HP+.

Also, I don't know how to drive stick yet, so I was thinking that I could learn on the 240 before the swap, as a new tranny would be included.

I'm also open to other cars, so if anyone has suggestions in this field, feel free to list em.

Well thanks for any and all help.

-Rob

Dude I hate to piss on your parade, but if your poor, the 240SX aint for you.

Lotsa stuff breaks, the swap is expensive, and parts are.

If you really want a 240 with 200whp, go for a KA-T. You do your own kit for like 1grand, if you use a turbo from a junkyard car, a TIAL external wastegate, REVHARD manifold, and peice together your own lines, returns etc.

So, you will have 200whp for 3000 instead of 7000.
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Dorikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:00 PM   #59
Suislide
AF Fanatic

if you want an SR, then get an SR. just because a KA-T is cheaper doesn't mean it's the do all and end all. i respect KA-T's and would definitley build one, but i am and always have been an SR freak so i'm sticking with what i've always wanted, even if it's more expensive.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:58 PM   #60
shumacher
AF Newbie

I wish I had the answers:

I want to buy a used 240SX. Are there any pitfalls or common problems I should look out for on these cars?

What is HICAS, and how do I know if I have it?

When is HICAS good, and when is it bad?

I want to put a 240SX on my bookshelf. What 240SX scale models are available?

Last edited by shumacher; 09-24-2003 at 05:10 PM.
shumacher is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX