Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Gateway
AF Enthusiast

I want to buy a viper, need some info

I hope there are some viper owners here that could give me some insight into this car. I've wanted a viper since I was 17 (26 now), but I knew I could never afford one. Well, now with the promotion I've recently landed, my goal is to purchase one at or before I turn 30.

I'm curious as to what type of scheduled maintenace is for the viper, and the cost. example: my current car needs maintenance every 60k, which is about $1000, and ever 120k the oil pump needs to be done.

Also, I've been told that doing the spark plugs is expensive as you have to pull the motor to get to some of the plugs. I'm curious as to if that is true.

The color scheme that I would want for my viper would be the blue with white or silver double pin stripes. I think that's my #1 choice right now. Even white with blue double pin strips would look good. I've been on autotrader and cars.com and barely see any blue vipers for sale, but alot of red and black. Was blue an uncommon color for the vipers? Did they make vipers in blue every year, or only certain years?

Thanks.
RPS Streetmax clutch
Rebuilt tranny
Free Boost Mod
Maximal Performance Solid Motor Mounts

Pictures and Videos of my car
Got a question about your auto insurance? I'm an insurance agent, ask away.
Gateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Ooomph
AF Newbie

Re: I want to buy a viper, need some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway
I hope there are some viper owners here that could give me some insight into this car. I've wanted a viper since I was 17 (26 now), but I knew I could never afford one. Well, now with the promotion I've recently landed, my goal is to purchase one at or before I turn 30.

I'm curious as to what type of scheduled maintenace is for the viper, and the cost. example: my current car needs maintenance every 60k, which is about $1000, and ever 120k the oil pump needs to be done.

Also, I've been told that doing the spark plugs is expensive as you have to pull the motor to get to some of the plugs. I'm curious as to if that is true.

The color scheme that I would want for my viper would be the blue with white or silver double pin stripes. I think that's my #1 choice right now. Even white with blue double pin strips would look good. I've been on autotrader and cars.com and barely see any blue vipers for sale, but alot of red and black. Was blue an uncommon color for the vipers? Did they make vipers in blue every year, or only certain years?

Thanks.
Well, the rear tires will run you ~$1k every 10-15k miles, oil changes at the dealership run about $130 per, which are at the 500, 1000 & 3000 mile mark and then every 3k miles thereafter. The Viper is very easy to work on, the engine bay is huge and all spark plugs & filters are very accessible (I'm speaking from an SRT10 viewpoint). So your looking at roughly $1650 for the first 12k miles (providing its just oil and a set of rear tires). Performance mods are very expensive b/c there is not a huge market for V10 parts, my headers ran me $3800, install was $1200 and my CAI was $250 and I installed that.

Vipers have wide racing stripes not thin pinstripes (I knew what you meant though) & blue was offered on the RT10, GTS models.

There were 53 solid Blue RT10's (of 117 total RT10's) in 1997 and 252 (of 874 total RT10's) in '01. There were 1163 (of 1166, the 3 others were white) solid Blue GTS coupes in 1996 & 965 (of 1671 total GTS coupes) in 1997. There were 216 Sapphire Blue GTS Coupes in '01 (of 651), of which 86 had stripes. There were 77 Sapphire Blue ACR Coupes in '01 (of 227), of which 49 had stripes & there was only 1 solid Blue ACR Coupe in '02 (of 159).

Good news! You have 135 blue striped coupes to choose from! Bad news, you have 135 coupes to choose from, try finding one for sale. There were several solid blue owners that did have stripes added at dealerships & professional paintshops so these numbers wouldn't appear to be entirely accurate. I do know of a pristine GTS Coupe for sale (~6k miles & owned by a speed shop owner) car is totally stock, no mods. Running ~$65k.

I am unsure of the latest color-build numbers from the new SRT10 Coupe ('06/'07), perhaps a dealer could assist you if you're looking for brand new. Blue was not available on the '03-'05 SRT10 roadsters (verts).

Hope this helps and good luck.
'00 Ford Mustang

Ooomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
ferrarifan
AF Newbie

I can answer that with 2 simple links. http://drautos.com and I'm keeping the other link to myself. Hey dude, I'm saving up for the same one. Except I'm looking just for the GTS. If i can find another one a different color scheme for less I'll get that, but that is the same one i'm after.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Tommy K
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tommy K

Hey Gateway,
What ooomph said about maintainence. I've had 3 Gen2's, and now my first Gen3. Two of them were 96 GTS's blue/white. They were awesome! They only made the blue/white GTS's in 96 and 97. 96 had the stripes all the way through the license plate area. That, plus I think a small cam change and nicer wheel polish were the only differences in 97. They actually made the most coupes in the blue/white, but it's still considered to be one of the most collectable. Now, in 06, they did a First Edition SRT Coupe in same blue/white scheme. I think they made 200 of them. Awesome cars too. I wanted a vert., so I found a 2005 commemorative edition...which is white w/ blue fang stripes. Love it! The brakes are awesome in the new car as well as some other small luxuries.
Best advice is to see them side/side and sit/ride in them both. Very different visually. I suggest calling Todd at NaplesMotorsports.com. I bought 2 cars from him cause he only finds/buys the best. If you go new, call John Gasteman at Roanoke Motors, or Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge. Top 2 Viper dealers with 10 star service. Good Luck...they're worth the wait!!
2005 Lexus GX 470
2006 Buell XB12Ss
2006 H.D. Night Rod
Tommy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
T-Rexx
AF Newbie

"96" was the Gen 1 engine. You will want to get a "97" or newer to get the Gen 2. 450hp.
The cam in the "97" sounds more lumpy and alot of viper owners change out for the "97" cam.
Also the "97" is the first year for windows on the RT/10 and the GTS interior.

Good luck on finding a Blue and white "original" like mine, I just went to VOI9 in Vegas and there was only one other than mine out of over 600 Vipers.

Also: dont forget 2 out of three Vipers has been wrecked. Do your research!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
99viper_silver
AF Newbie

FOR SALE

Mint condition 1999 Silver GTS with black interior just under 21k miles.
This is the most desirable year GTS, it has the newer more modern interior, and
comes with the forged bottom end unlike the 2000 and later model years.
Less than 100 Silver GTS in 99.

Car has been tastefully modded with smooth tubes, KN filters, 6k HIDs, lowered
with Eibachs, and a Corsa 3" cat back exhaust with high flow cats has been
added to enhance sound and performance.

Wheels AVUs 20s all around 20x10 F, and 20x13 R with chrome lip. Pirellis Tires - BRAND NEW rear tires and 80% thread left on front tires.

I have taken very well care of this car. Always garaged , never driven in rain.
The interior, and paint are perfect.

Asking 43,900
Contact Sergio at 786-663-2791
Mint condition 1999 Silver GTS with black interior just under 21k miles.
This is the most desirable year GTS, it has the newer more modern interior, and
comes with the forged bottom end unlike the 2000 and later model years.
Less than 100 Silver GTS in 99.

Car has been tastefully modded with smooth tubes, KN filters, 6k HIDs, lowered
with Eibachs, and a Corsa 3" cat back exhaust with high flow cats has been
added to enhance sound and performance.

Wheels AVUs 20s all around 20x10 F, and 20x13 R with chrome lip. Pirellis Tires - BRAND NEW rear tires and 80% thread left on front tires.

I have taken very well care of this car. Always garaged , never driven in rain.
The interior, and paint are perfect.

Asking 45,000
Contact Sergio at 786-663-2791
99viper_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
MoparMaiden
AF Newbie

I won't try to comment on the maintenance questions you have but will address the color comments. I'd recommend you go to Dodge.com and look at the Viper Owner's Manual - they're easy to find!

We had a 97 Viper, blue w/ white stripes for about a year. That color combo is uncommon and the white w/ blue stripes is even rarer. I know there's a website that details all the combos & how many were produced each year. I stumbled onto it but can't recall what it was.

You'll find lots of black & red but I've noticed a lot of the blue for sale lately. We're now looking for a yellow w/ black stripes (rare!) but if I had my way I'd take one of the new orange or green models w/ black stripes. They are so incredibly beautiful!! I don't care if a Viper isn't the most comfortable ride in the world, it's one HOT looking car... Good luck!
MoparMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster