Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:04 PM   #91
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20
Re: Nissan 350SX.......what????

fight fight fight!!!!

just kidding!
Old 01-13-2004, 10:46 PM   #92
Soyo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQuick
Seven of the 10 cars you listed were over 2700lbs, most of which being fwd. Again, all else being equal, a rwd car typically weighs more than a fwd one. This means that you can expect the Silvia to be a bit more than the fwds you mentioned. How am I wrong on this one again?

I’m still talking about basing the car on the FM platform, and why it might be heavier than you guys would like. This conversation has been steered away from that. Few if any of the cars you’ve mentioned are based on a platform that is also the basis for an SUV with a towing capacity of at least 3000lbs. The FM is unusually stiff and beefy for this reason, and that contributes to some of the extra weight. However, the rigidity and balance offered by this chassis cannot be ignored.

With Fliquer’s idea of shrinking the FM platform, your 2700lb target sounds much more feasible. With my idea of using the G35’s longer wheelbase of ~112 inches, it will be much harder and could result in a more expensive car.

Where did I say the car couldn’t be less than $20k? Look at the prices I listed for my three trim levels. My proposed Silvia keeps the rear seats, and has a 2.5L engine with as little as 187hp and goes up to 215hp. Sticking with the Silvia’s 2L history, there is even a 2L available with 168hp.
Afaik, your major problem with my proposal is the weight and the fact that it uses a V6 rather than an I4.

Btw, that's the VQ35DE motor. At least that bit of info I got from Maxima.org is right. What new design did the '03 Maximas get, btw?
oh my gosh do you ever stop, obviously not, first of all in my next post I mentioned that 2 of the 4 I listed as 2700 ended up being less(one being in the 2500's and the other in the 2600's) plus if a car is like 2730 I'm not considering it over 2700, you gonna be picky and count like 2730 as being over 2700, its freakin close so chill, don't be all picky cuz your wrong and I proved it over and over again. but anyways that puts 4 cars under 2700, 2 at 2700 and 4 over, so stfu about it not being possible to make it light weight and reasonably priced already

and when did I say a longer wheelbase? that was your stupid idea. ofcourse it would increase the price, thats why I wouldn't do it, plus its pointless, if you note I even said that the wheelbase was SHORTER than other cars the same size as the 240, so this makes your stupid idea of a longer wheelbase mean nothing to me cuz I was noting that it was shorter so don't bring that up again... why go to 112inches if it at 97inches? ofcourse that adds weight, we are talking lightweight car, why would I wanna make it longer and heavier? I mean honestly, think about what your saying next time

and just so you know, the civic is front wheel drive and only 2500lbs, and has a longer wheelbase than the 240, so that still allows a 200lb window to make it RWD which BARELY makes a car weigh more

and why are you talking about an SUV towing 3000lbs? if they make a whole new engine how is that based off an SUV? I said make a new engine, not use the KA, so that means its not based off a freaking SUV. you need to think before you go posting stupid stuff like this

and I don't care about your proposed silvia... I'm not proposing a silvia, I'm proposing a new car, as in not the same as a car already made, which excludes the silvia, sorry they aren't gonna have an S16, just not happening, what I am proposing is a new car based off the 180/240(body wise) and FC rx-7(suspension wise) and a totally new engine being large 4cyl.(I never said V6, sorry but it never happened) and DOHC ofcourse. and honestly I don't care if it takes 10 years to come out, it would be plenty worth the wait. oh and no back seats, they are useless, but acctually I'd say make a 2 seater and a 2+2 so people could have their choise, also maybe a coupe and hatch option, if possible depending on the design...

and I don't care what engine the maxima has, I said 3.0 just to show that its a V6 and is heavier than what the 4cyl would be. and your right the 2003 maxima didn't get a redesign, what I was meaning to say was it had a 3.5 and almost all options were made standard instead of optional, thus making it a bit heavier when you have all the added options and a bigger engine

really I just want you to stop posting arguements about what I say when we all know your wrong cuz I already proved that you were

please don't make me waste more time proving you wrong, its getting annoying
HKS Blow-Off Valve, Stainless brake and clutch lines
Old 01-13-2004, 11:56 PM   #93
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
A NEW Celica GTS manual, with its heavy glass hatchback and a bunch of factory options weighs exactly 2500lbs, as told by Toyota. I figure if the next silvia/240sx has similar dimensions (only slightly longer) then it wont have trouble tipping in at 2700 in its BASE model. Nissan has a wealth of proven platforms available for this sort of car, and dont forget they have the option of modifying older platforms (like the S15).

OK end of argument PLZ. Would anyone else like to speculate about next generation?
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Old 01-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #94
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Nissan 350SX.......what????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyo
so stfu about it not being possible to make it light weight and reasonably priced already
I said it would be hard, not impossible.

Quote:
and when did I say a longer wheelbase? that was your stupid idea. why go to 112inches if it at 97inches? ofcourse that adds weight, we are talking lightweight car, why would I wanna make it longer and heavier? I mean honestly, think about what your saying next time
I thought about what I was saying. Why does the 350Z, a two seater, have a longer wheelbase(104 inches) than the 240SX? That might be due to the fact that as an FM-based car, the engine is probably inside the wheelbase. That means the wheelbase must be longer to accomodate both the engine and cabin. The car would probably need an even longer wheelbase to accomodate a four seat cabin, thus the suggestion of a G35-based Silvia.

Quote:
and why are you talking about an SUV towing 3000lbs? if they make a whole new engine how is that based off an SUV? I said make a new engine, not use the KA, so that means its not based off a freaking SUV. you need to think before you go posting stupid stuff like this
The SUV I'm referring to is the Infiniti FX35/45, which also happens to be based on the FM platform. To allow for its 3000lb towing capacity, the FM chassis had to be made stiffer and stronger than if it were just going to be used for car applications. The chassis was also going to be heavier. That's why the two seater 350Z still weighs 3188, despite such a light motor. The chassis had nothing to do with the engine, which you apparently could not distinguish between. You missed my point entirely.

Quote:
honestly I don't care if it takes 10 years to come out
Fine. My proposed FM-based Silvia could probably be produced in the next couple of years, then your car can take its place since the development will take a bit longer.

Quote:
please don't make me waste more time proving you wrong, its getting annoying
No one's forcing you to click on the 'Reply' button.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:26 AM   #95
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliquer
I figure if the next silvia/240sx has similar dimensions then it wont have trouble tipping in at 2700 in its BASE model. Nissan has a wealth of proven platforms available for this sort of car, and dont forget they have the option of modifying older platforms (like the S15).
If Nissan went with a shrunken FM platform, that would be ideal to get the proper dimensions for a new 240SX.

It would be nice to go with the S15's platform, if the factory that produces them hasn't been retooled for making something else already.

With Carlos Ghosn calling for the return of the Datsun name as well, there might be another open slot for the 240SX if it is decided that it wouldn't fit in the US Nissan lineup. Datsun would need a performance flagship of their own, and the 240SX would do nicely.

Anyway, I think the S12 200SX actually used the VG30E V6 for a little while. Referring to that bit of history could help justify matters if Nissan was forced to use the VQ.

Like Soyo said, Nissan might need a different 2.4-2.6L motor. The QR25 is quickly turning into another KA24, with the exception of having an even longer stroke and a weaker block and internals. The QR25 is even going to be used in the 2005 Frontier, with little to no modifications from the SE-R version. The QR20 is just fine, very smooth and powerful, but the 2.5L's long 100mm stroke adds mounds of torque and not much else.

Another reason a VQ might work a little better is just because of the fact that most of them are oversquare in design. This gives them a revvy, sporty character. It might be a little more appropriate for a sports car like the Silvia. That's why I recommended a VQ25DE. I just don't know if Nissan would make another motor.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #96
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TheLogikal1
Re: Re: Re: Nissan 350SX.......what????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyo
you have got to be the dumbest person in the world...

why can't you admit that your dumb and you were wrong, say your sorry, then never post in this thread again,

im with soyo. vquick, just give it up, no one likes you.

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs
kenwood flip out 7'' screen

1995 Nissan 240sx 5 speed (dead)
GP Sports Spec-D exhaust
Custom Carbon Fiber Intake
17'' ricer wheels in Kumhos

hahaha stole this pose off of koguchi...my shirt makes me look fat...ahaha
Old 01-14-2004, 03:14 PM   #97
Soyo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soyo

and no one likes your gay FM based silvia that is an SUV and tows 3000lbs... ok so thats not what you said, but its just about that dumb, so shut up.

I'm gonna keep this (somewhat)short for the others here who are tired of all the huge posts. but yea why quote what I said if its all correct and has nothing to do with a silvia or an FM based car or a longer car? it was already decided like 4 pages back that there is not gonna be another silvia so stop with the FM based silvia crap

and Fliquer thank you for that post about the celica which is a prime example why what I said works and could be available at a very reasonable price.

and also thanks logikal1, you didn't provide any info but you atleast realized his posts were worthless and agreed he should stop, and I've got to say, I love the comment about the supra being the moby dick of japanese cars fell over laughing on that one haha
HKS Blow-Off Valve, Stainless brake and clutch lines

Last edited by Soyo; 01-14-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #98
Suislide
AF Fanatic

argument over, kiddies.

i didn't even open this thread until just now because it sounded stupid. maybe some of you should take that advice once in a while too.