Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #1
tfawbush
AF Newbie

Air suspension

I recently purchased a 95 Range Rover Coutny Classic. When they loaded it on the truck to ship it to me they let the air out of the suspension (or lowered it) by using the button beneath the passenger seat. When they unloaded it, we turned the button back on inorder to re-engage the suspension system. My indicator tone stays on now and the yellow light on the dash stays on as well. The suspension does not appear to be working properly, but then again I've never owned a Rover before. Can anyone offer suggestions.

Thanks
Tom Fawbush
tfawbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:47 AM   #2
tsunami racer
AF Newbie

you've probably gotten fixed at a mechanic already, but the smartest thing to do on these rangie classics is to bite the bullet and have the whole entire air suspension REMOVED and replaced with standard coil springs. $700-$1000.

its the best thing i've ever done on my 94 LWB. you never have to worry about the suspension going out again. one less thing to fuss about, god know there's plenty of other things that could go wrong.

i've nickled and dimed small fixes with the air suspension computer, valves, air bags, pressure lines etc. etc over the years. but after the suspension shut down to the bump stops during a ski trip 200 miles from home, i had them ripped out to preserve my sanity (already in question cuz i bought british)....
tsunami racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:48 PM   #3
MaximusGTR
AF Fanatic

this is the ultimate vehicle
MaximusGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
dram-
AF Newbie

u can just add springs to the car ? is it a easy thing to do ,,, im getting a new air thing forget what its called ... the thing that pumps air into the bags ,, its gonna be 1200

i already have new shocks not sure if these were standard on my car

but puttn spings on just clip em on or what ... my mechanic sucks he didnt say nothing about this
dram- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:14 AM   #5
tsunami racer
AF Newbie

Re: Air suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by dram-
u can just add springs to the car ? is it a easy thing to do ,,, im getting a new air thing forget what its called ... the thing that pumps air into the bags ,, its gonna be 1200

i already have new shocks not sure if these were standard on my car

but puttn spings on just clip em on or what ... my mechanic sucks he didnt say nothing about this
oh yea. its the best investment you can make to a LWB. the coil springs go in exactly where the air bags are located. my mechanic did it on less than a day. anyone who specializes in land rovers should know this process. its just as if you were driving a standard wheel base range rover which came with the trouble free springs.

anyone can do this; you can read into the details of the conversion at this web site: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/AirSuspension.html
tsunami racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
dram-
AF Newbie

what springs should i get for a 97 4.0se?
dram- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
NitroSlumlord
AF Newbie

I just did the coil spring conversion on my 96 HSE three weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it. The EAS was killing me in repairs and the only dealer in town (capable of resetting the ride height) is a 40 min drive through hair pulling traffic. Last winter I had to replace a couple of failing air bags at a time when all of North America was short on them. What a nightmare - my rover was out for three weeks while I called all around the world and finally located a pair. The latest bump stop experience was due to a failing compressor which I had just replaced exactly 14 months previous - out of warranty, hmmm. It was explained to me in the nicest terms possible that after I shelled out the $500 for the compressor, I may also have to replace the control box for another $500 or so as that may have been part of the poblem as well. I did a ton of research before purchasing the kit due to the fact that there are kits ranging from about $600 to about $1200 out there. The main difference with most kits aside from the type of springs used, is the method by which you disable the BECM errors by forcing the EAS into "manual mode". AB has a black box like some others which basically contributes about 500 bucks to the price. It's actually just a few crossed wires in a "plug and play" little box. Nothing you can't do yourself in about 10 min. I ended up ordering from Strutmasters. They manufacture the kit themselves and have the lowest price at $595. They will include instructions with the kit explaining which wires to cut and ground to eliminate the EAS nag. Labor was another $350 at a shop a few blocks from my house. Anyone can install the kit, so feel free to shop around for labor rates. I can tell you that the ride height is perfect and the handling has improved too. I also have more articulation off road. Before you shell out more than you have to, check out Strutmasters. They were very helpful via telephone prior to my order.

http://www.strutmasters.com/
NitroSlumlord is offline   Reply With Quote