Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
NYNightrain
AF Newbie

Numbers Matching Question

I own a 1970 Chevelle SS 396. I've been trying to find out if the engine is the correct engine for the car.(numbers matching) The engine code suffix begins with CE which from what I have found denotes it is warranty engine. Does this make it a numbers matching car?
Thx
C.J. Johnson
NYNightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

Re: Numbers Matching Question

You know its a crate engine, so its not original in that respect.
The warranty crate engines have their own serial numbers that, IIRC are irrelevant to the year.

If you had documentation for the replacement engine, serial numbers and all, I would say yes. Otherwise I would think not. Regardless, I wouldn't go on an engine block hunt. (unless your only trying to make money off the car... )

Here are some interesting sites.
http://home.kc.rr.com/slcomm/vin.htm I always make up a sequential #, just because I am paranoid.
http://www.chevellestuff.com/1970/index.htm
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
ray zielinski
AF Newbie

Re: Numbers Matching Question

Regarding your numbers matching question.No it would not be numbers matching,but it is the next best thing.I have restored aprox.15 cars camaro,corvettes,chevelles if I owned your car I would be happy to have the CE code block rather than a replacement out of a donor car.I feel this desiginates the change of engine was most likely early in its life maybe even at the dealer.A lot of these cars were obviously raced and abused on the street getting them replacement engines under warranty,therefore the CE code block.As for as value yes it affects value having the CE but not drasticly especially if it is a low horse car 325-350.If a 375 horse it has a bigger change in value.let me know if you have any other questions.Ray
ray zielinski is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle