Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
cocreamM2
AF Newbie

Question Zero Paints issue help

Hello guys, I started using Zero Paints recently but can't get a good result out of it, light coat with 30 PSI around halfway trigger, over either mr hobby primer or tamiya primer, all imperfection underneath the primer will come back up, any suggustion?
cocreamM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:19 AM   #2
to-mek
AF Newbie

Re: Zero Paints issue help

Can you give us better explanation what happens? Primer has to be perfect and don't expect from paint to fill the scratches etc. I've been using Zero paints for years and never had problems, by default they will give you semi gloss finish. Only problem I had is with Zero semi gloss black - equivalent to Tamiya X-18. That paint required a lot of thinner and it didn't have semi gloss finish as advertised.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
cocreamM2
AF Newbie

so I prep the body with 600 grid and flatten all mold lines, and prime with either tamiya or gunze primer, when apply Zero Paints base coat, as soon as paint gets on the body, all 600 grid scratches and mold lines with come back, even a very little coat. or can you tell me the way you use Zero?
cocreamM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:16 AM   #4
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

You may be spraying heavy coats, or not waiting enough time between coats. The paint is hot because it has lacquer thinner in it. When you do that, the "hot" paint will bring mold lines, etc. to the surface. Quite common. To prevent this, some modelers will, after sanding down mold lines, cover them with thin Tamiya liquid cement, let it dry, sand, prime, and spray light coats to build up the color.
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #5
ulap1
AF Newbie

As already mentioned, spray light coats. Thinner evaporates quickly and will not attack the layers underneath. Also add couple of drops of Gunze leveling thinner (yellow label) into your airbrush. This should help
ulap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:06 AM   #6
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

600 grit paper is way too harsh. You must work down through the grits and sand until perfectly smooth. Any heavier scratches left by 600 grit will be emphasised by the Zero paint. Use 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 to get the surface smooth. Primer should be wet flatted with 1500 to perfectly prepare the surface for paint.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #7
360spider
AF Moderator

Agreed. I wrote these eons ago, but I think (without re-reading) it still good info and applies to your situation:

http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/Primer/primer.htm
http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/P...aint/paint.htm
Old 05-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #8
HtownModeler80
AF Newbie

You can try this and it may help. What I do is sand with 600 grit paper (using little pressure making the sandpaper do the work) and then do two light coats of primer. First is a mist coat and then the second for coverage. Giving about 10 to 15 minutes between the coats. Next I'll let it dry for about 2 to 3 hours (I use both Mr. Hobby and Tamiya Grey primer). I'll repeat these steps till I am happy with what I see with all corrections and whatnot. Before applying body color I then lightly sand with either 1000 grit or 1500 grit and then go to body color. Now I have used Zero Paints and currently using Splash Paints. When I spray the body color the first 3 coats are lightly spray building coverage with 10 to 15 minutes between coats. If satisfied I follow with 1 or 2 heavier coats to help smooth out the paint. Same process for using either companies 1K or 2K Clear.
HtownModeler80 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling