Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
alexmurphy
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to alexmurphy
cheapest car I can get to learn drifting on?

By cheapest I mean I literally have 150 bucks to my name right now. I just bought an Audi A4 for an everyday car, but I want something else that I can always let loose with (off the streets, of course). Keep in mind that since I have so little money that I am looking a couple years into the future.

I'm kind of looking for a project car of sorts too, so I was hoping to find a good drifter car with a few fixable problems for a lot cheaper. the only car i know of thats known as a drifter is a 240SX. What other options do I have? And what problems with the engine should I avoid at all costs? (be car-specific if necessary)

Thanks for the help
alexmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Porschedrkr
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Porschedrkr
Re: cheapest car I can get to learn drifting on?

The best drift car would be a Subaru wrx but if you want something super cheap you can get a Honda CRX. Probably something in the early 1990's would be about 1000-2000 $$ a CRX would be good because of the similar shape to the wrx. It might weigh some so you could strip some stuff out and get a sway bar so you don't flip. Or just get the wrx. Another possible good choice would be a 200sx or S13
Porschedrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschedrkr View Post
The best drift car would be a Subaru wrx but if you want something super cheap you can get a Honda CRX. Probably something in the early 1990's would be about 1000-2000 $$ a CRX would be good because of the similar shape to the wrx. It might weigh some so you could strip some stuff out and get a sway bar so you don't flip. Or just get the wrx. Another possible good choice would be a 200sx or S13
Seriously? That's your advice? Oh-em-gee guy.

First of all... A WRX wouldn't be the best for drifting on the cheap. To make an all wheel drive car able to drift, you would have to have a lot of horsepower to turn all four tires to maintain a drift. That negates anything 'cheap', not even taking into account all the suspension, brakes and tire upgrades you would need to buy.

A CRX? Just because it has a similar shape to a WRX? (Which it doesn't.) Really, it's Front wheel drive. It's been debated, and yes a FWD car can technically drift. Read here:

Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motorsport where the driver intentionally over steers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while maintaining vehicle control and a high exit speed. A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle prior to the corner apex, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa), and the driver is controlling these factors.

A FWD would not make a good drift car, just in the fact that it's FWD. It may be able to initiate a drift with brakes and/or lift off oversteer. They lose momentum too quickly to maintain a drift or link to multiple corners.

And lastly, a 200sx and S13 are the same car.

Now, to answer the question at hand. Cheap drift cars.

240sx's are always popular, and can be found for cheap if you look hard enough. Might be able to find one that's already setup for drifting for not a whole lot of money.

Rx7's are good, older ones can be had for cheap.

Nissan Z cars make good drifters.

Toyota has a few RWD cars that are fun. The classic '86-87 Corolla AE86 for example or the MR2.

Ford Mustang 5.0's are getting cheap, lightweight RWD, V8 power. Live axle rear end, which is great for drifting. And... parts are cheap for them.

Chevy/Pontiac Camaro/Firebirds, pretty much the same as the Ford Mustang 5.0's.

There are a lot of choices, all can be had for cheap if you look hard enough. And most of these cars are 15-20+ years old, so parts are generally plentiful and relatively cheap.

If you're serious about drifting, factor in a Tire budget. You'll need lots of them, so get in good with a local tire store and see if you can't get a deal on used tires from them. That'll save you from buying new tires that you destroy in a few runs. :P

Good luck.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:
Welcome to AF!

Realistically - and this is just a bare-minimum for the thrill of drifting - he'll want to get something that has a decently wide wheelbase, is low to the ground, has rear-wheel-drive and a manual transmission.

It helps to have a stiff frame, but if you're looking for something on the cheap, beggers can't be choosers.

The S13 is a good choice, but might be harder to come by than something pretty basic and if you do find one in decent enough shape, the buyer will likely want a little more than 'cheap' for it.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Porschedrkr
Banned

Ok -.- first of all I said a wrx is a good drift car but not for cheap so I said to get a CRX because if he wants a cheap project drift car then that was my personal opinion. And YES! you can in fact drift with a CRX. -.-
The Following User Says Thank You to Porschedrkr For This Useful Post:
jon@af (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
jon@af
The Media Guy

Quote:
Ok -.- first of all I said a wrx is a good drift car but not for cheap so I said to get a CRX because if he wants a cheap project drift car then that was my personal opinion. And YES! you can in fact drift with a CRX. -.-
You'll have to get used to Mr. Stig - and don't worry, when you do, you'll be glad for it .

A Blog By Swigz

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Quote:
Mmmkkkay.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
Porschedrkr
Banned

Mmmmmkkkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy my ass -.-
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
jon@af
The Media Guy

Play nice, kids! Porsche, we would love some vids if you could share them.

A Blog By Swigz

Old 08-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Porschedrkr
Banned

Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
Porschedrkr
Banned

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Quote:
That wasn't drifting, that was *barely* a 180 handbrake turn. Not drifting.

Quote:
That was not drifting. That was putting the rear wheels on trays and locking the handbrake so the rear would slide. That's high school parking lot antics. Not drifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMQkMvRG3I

This is more like Drifting of a FWD vehicle. But you'll notice it's entry drift is fairly decent, but because it's dragging it's ass around it's secondary drifts are almost not existent and cannot continue with prolonged drifts.

It is possible to do it. Just not practical. Hence why you don't see anybody do it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting