Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

SB - another masterpiece in the making - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
kans0002
AF Regular

I've got my popcorn ready!!!!!
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
eyckles
AF Enthusiast

Hi SB,

As i followed your previous masterpiece, i will follow this one with great interest. This is the Ickx car, right? The beginning of the frame looks amazing. Keep the updates coming please.

Atb,
Lesley
eyckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
SchuberT
AF Enthusiast

Holy crap this is going to be amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/KBModelwerks/

Call me Matthew.
SchuberT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #20
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Yep! Lego..... but what a style!!!!!!! All black!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
ewestra
AF Regular

Wow SB, you hit the jackpot with this (scratch) build. I stay tuned that's for sure cause in the near future I'm planning a super detailed from the 1/24 Tamiya Moby Dick. Like you I found the wonderful pictures on the Freisinger site. They are a big help, don't they? Best of luck with this masterbuild it will be great.

Eric
ewestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
tw78911sc
AF Newbie

tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

1/ I'm a Porsche fan
2/ I'm a Lego fan and collector
two good reasons to follow this one !

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #24
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
1/ I'm a Porsche fan
2/ I'm a Lego fan and collector
two good reasons to follow this one !
Neither a porsche nor a lego fan, just a steady SB fan, definitely set to be scared the hell out of myself again!
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #25
f40
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

Good luck with this project.Your off to a great start, Im sure it will be nothing short of the first project you did. True Craftsman.A great car subject you chose for this one.
f40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
Nissanmotorsport
AF Regular

You're crazy and you know it, but I love this build.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

No pressure, then...!

I know it's early days on this one, but thanks for the support - it'll be a bit slow-going for a start, but once I'm happy with working out how I'm going to create the inner panels, it should start to move along. I'm not planning on tackling the engine, gearbox, etc for a while yet, as they're not critical to the success of the project; if I can't make the bulkheads, door sills, roof, etc, the project is never going to happen.

So, deep breath and carry on...

First job was to add some of the extra tubes into the floor of the cockpit area. As with the sills, some of these tubes might be reinforced for the final build - the styrene is still a little flexible over these lengths!

I did an Amazon search last weekend and found a new book by Jurgen Barth and Bernd Dobronz - 'Porsche 934 / 935 - Die komplette Dokumentation'. I couldn't find a reference to an English version, so the German edition arrived at work on Wednesday! 558 pages of photos, sketches, car histories, Homologation papers, etc...mmm! Still no official layout drawings, unfortunately, but there's enough in here for me to use on this project - including some extra photos of the Freisinger rebuild which I've not seen on the website.

This leads me to the next job - adding a roof structure. Originally I'd made the screen pillars as a single bent tube running from side to side across the car. However, a single photo in the new book clearly shows that these rails are not one, but two - running front-to-back, not side-to-side. So, a couple of fresh pieces of extinguisher tube and some more Lego later...

The extra white tube across the back of the roof is not 'official' - it's just there for a bit of reinforcement. The actual frame will have a diagonal tube running from back-left to front-right.

I've pinned locating pegs into the main frame to allow me to remove this centre section as required - something I may have to do on the mk2 version to improve access during the build. At the moment the weak point in the frame is the lower tube across the front of the cockpit at the base of the screen pillars - but the front bulkhead structure will eventually tie all this together.

For my immediate needs the chassis is about as complete as it needs to be. The next job is to concentrate on the panels - I had a play with some cardboard earlier this weekend:

Hmm, it will improve, I'm sure! On the plus side, it does look like it could end up being a 911-based car. The windscreen is a pattern made from the Tamiya 1/24 kit, upscaled 300% on a photocopier - it's not necessarily accurate, but it's close enough to give me something to work with. I'll continue with the cardboard for a while until I'm ready to start cutting foam - it's all about getting a feel for the size and shape right now, rather than creating a complete shell with all the details. As I said earlier, slow-going for a while...

Have a good week, everyone.

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

A little more progress this week with my latest 'toy'...

I wanted to get some shape into the sides, so I put together a basic door to fit into the sill section:

This provided some of the encouragement I needed, so I added a rear wing section too:

It's all a bit basic and I'll be re-doing the profiles for the foam patterns, but as a quick way of putting some 'flesh on the bones', it's doing a good job, I think. I'm taking all the measurements from my basic line-drawing, so it's quite easy to make most of the cardboard panels - but some of the lines are not true lengths, of course, so these take a little more effort. Naturally, having done the door and the rear wing, I could also put together a nose section:

...and a front wing:

Hmm...just noticed that the front wing isn't quite aligned properly in these photos. It's just the way I've positioned the pieces - it does all line up!

...and here's the whole lot:

At this point I'm finally getting a good idea of how this is going to look. I have a feeling that getting the doors to open and close properly is still going to be as awkward as it was on the 908, but at least I should have better access to the mechanism. I must remember to incorporate small magnets into the panels to hold them in place, if possible - it seems such a good idea when other people do it!

I didn't get much done yesterday as I was at RaceRetro at Stoneleigh. Porsche were one of the featured marques so I was hopeful of at least seeing one or two 956's...but I didn't expect to see this:

This is 908-03 chassis 012 in 1971 Nurburgring spec (Bell / Siffert). As you can imagine, my jaw dropped and I had to get a closer look! I'd printed some photos of my 908-03 to take with me, so while the two ladies guarding the stand had a look at those, I was crawling on my hands and knees and getting a few more detail shots - having a little 'quality time', you might say!

Quite pleased with this one - my engine shroud was just about right with it's colouring:

So, after that surprise, how about some 956 / 962's:

If I didn't expect to see one 908-03, you can imagine my reaction on seeing this:

This one is chassis 006 - I believe it was used as a practice car for the 1971 Targa Florio, then found it's way into private hands later in the 70's with a turbo engine. It's now restored to original 1971 spec as a replica number 3 Martini Nurburgring winning car...which (I believe) was actually chassis 008! The RS61 next-door belongs to Sir Stirling Moss...

Now for some variety...March 782 F2 car:

Unknown chassis / body unit - Propellor Dan's day job, perhaps?

A typical stand display:

McLaren Can-Am (sorry, I didn't get the number):

...and finally, a 1/8 Riley Brooklands frame:

As usual, I came away feeling that I hadn't seen most of the show - I seem to spend more of my time talking to people I know through work, than actually inspecting the displays. I did force myself to take more photos this year, and this is just a selection. If you haven't been, I would certainly say it's worth a visit - there's always a good selection of bike-related displays, rally cars, club racing, book and model sellers, autojumble, live action, etc - plenty to see.

So, that's it for now. More next week!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #29
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

What? No 917's?

Great pics of the show; thanks for posting!

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
John18d
AF Enthusiast

SB - thanks for sharing your pics from the show - you 908 is worthy of being in the show- John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote