Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
Orkinman
AF Newbie

'87 300D Block Heater

I've just bought a 87 300D. My last car was an 84 300D. During the cold winters I would plug in the block heater to make starts in the morning much easier. The plug was located between the grill and the bumper. On my new Benz I'm having trouble finding this plug. The book say's it's behind the grill but in front of the radiator. If anyone knows exactally where this plug should be I'd appreciate it. Also if there's the possibility it only comes on the winter package what other options do I have?

Last edited by Orkinman; 11-29-2004 at 02:00 AM.
Orkinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
j_hef
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to j_hef
Depending on the original owner, your car may not have had a block heater installed. They came with a coupon for a "free block heater" in the owners manual for one year from the date of purchase. My 82 coupe still doesnt have a block heater. Anyways, I haven't had my 87 300D that long so I haven't looked to see if mine has one yet or not, but I dont think it does- and honestly I haven't needed it. It has gotten pretty damn cold around here, even below zero a few times. These diesels were improved over the 617 engine like in your 84, the compression ratio was lowered to ease cold starting. As long as your injectors are working good and all your glow plugs heat, you shouldn't have a problem in cold weather.

On the other hand you could always install a block heater, but I'm not too sure its location in the block on the 603, I assume its on the right side of the motor- i'll have to go check mine sometime. You may have one in it already but someone may have removed the cord. Or if neither of those paths work, there are coolant hose and oil dipstick heaters you can get almost anywhere that will do the job.
j_hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
turbobenzbuddy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to turbobenzbuddy
i own a 84 300 d and i had a heck of a time getting it started in the winter time alst year becaue the fuel gelled up. i live in iowa and that norammly doenst happen. i have been looking for a tank heater but the only ones i have found is for big truck type tanks. just to let you know.
turbobenzbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
j_hef
AF Regular

try mixing in some kerosene in yor tank (like 2 gallons per tankfull) that should keep it from gelling. Or if you want to go the additive route, lots of places sell stuff that you can dump in to do the same.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Orkinman
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info j_hef. I think I'll see if I can get one put in. Are they hard to install? Is it something I could do?
Orkinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
j_hef
AF Regular

Re: '87 300D Block Heater

I havent tried installing one on a 603 engine, I did one on a 616 engine (240D), it took a air chisel, 3 guys and a 8 ft pipe on a breaker bar to get the plug out... but you're welcome to try

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion