Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Damme
AF Newbie

Angry Mercury cougar! not sure whats wrong now

Well Im wondering if maybe you guys can help me.

My cougar started acting up a while ago first my display panel ( with the temp and time ) lost its lighting it still backlit but no numbers. then I was driving and my ABS light kicked on and my car started driving really funny, slow then accelerating. once it was parked and turned off, I needed a jump to get it going again and then my battery light and ABS light kept come on and off as I was driving it home.

Then we take it into auto zone and they said that my battery was bad ( which I bought only 2 years ago) so I got a new battery and we but that in the car but the problem continued so the guy at auto zone said my alternator was bad ( which i have read is a problem for the cougars) so after about 3 weekends my husband FINALLY gets the stupid alternator out...bad design on Mercury’s part. and he take the alternator in to get tested and what do you know...test says alternator is fine!!

So know my husband has taking it to several auto shops to test the alternator and they have all said that it is good, OH YEAH and the alternator that I have in my car was a refurbished one. now at the last shop the mechanic said that my regulator MIGHT be the problem but its a 60$ part for a might problem. now we are not sure if they are testing the alternator correctly because they arn’t grounding it on the regulator like it says too....

we don’t know where to go from here and the alternator is such a pain in the ass to get to that we don’t want to put it back in till we know we don’t need it...

ANY IDEAS APPRECIATED!!

Ok we have replaced the alternator and everything is back light EXCEPT my battery light is still on! help not sure what to do know..thanks
Damme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
JR Tigerstar
AF Enthusiast

Re: Mercury cougar! not sure whats wrong now

What year is your Cougar?
JR Tigerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
fordman21pls
AF Newbie

I read somewhere that in the later model cougar they had a recall on the cable running from the altenator to the starter. It said that the cable would get hot or stretched running back behind the motor causing a "short" problem. The previous owner on my car had it taken car of before i bought mine. It is a recall item I believe so it may be free. I know these cars have issues with alternators...may want to get a high output one if you do need to replace it. Hope this helps.
fordman21pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
comstock_5
AF Newbie

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with mine. (alternator) I've replaced it. (twice) new batter, wire from batt to alternator... Such a pain to work on.. no wonder why they quit making them
comstock_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alternator , battery , electrical , problem.
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar