Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
desmo16
AF Newbie

Looking to Start, but too much info...

Hello all,
I am becoming increasingly interested in purchasing a lathe/mill combo. My problem is, being a complete newbie at this sort of thing, I am utterly overwhelmed by what I truly need.
I have visited a couple of sites, and I like what I have read about Sherline, for example. So, some initial questions: is the 4100 (metric versin of the 4000) too basic? Should I spend the extra $$ for a 4400 as this one offers the extended space between centers? (probably not necessary). How important is a digital read out: worth the extra $$? Is a 5100 (again, a metric version of the 5000) milling machine all that most hobbyists will ever need? Is a milling adapter (may not be the correct word. The part that will allow some milling work to be performed by a lathe) good enough, or should I spend the money for a proper mill up-front?
Are all rotary table compatible with the various brands, or are they proprietary designs that can only be used with their 'own' brands?
What specific cutting tools do I need, or is a basic, starter set packaged with the lathe? Are there any others that I should buy besides a possible 'starter set'?
These are a few questions that come to mind right now.
Oh, and of course: what I want to use the lathe/mill for are the standard nuts, headlamp and instrument bezels, shocks, and various other detail parts like brackets, and functions like surface relief work, drilling, etc that can be performed (I saw what is possible in the gallery-very inspiring!).
Thanks in advance,
Michael
desmo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Looking to Start, but too much info...

Which machine tools to get depends entirely on what you want to use them for. If you're wanting them mainly to do scale modeling work, Sherline gear is perfect. If you are planning larger stuff as well, you may want larger tools instead.

You will probably not need the extended length between centers on the lathe. I have the longer one, and have never used the extra length.

Digital readouts are magnificent, but by no means necessary. Consider it as an upgrade for in a few years.

Definitely get the adjustable zero handwheels. Consider it a must have (especially if you won't have DRO immediately).

For modeling uses, the milling column (converting the lathe to a mill) is an excellent option. It may take you a long time to outgrow that setup. This is still how I use my equipment.

Rotary tables are interchangable, and by no means brand specific. However Sherline makes arguably the best very small rotary table, and size is an issue on small tools. Using a rotary table lager than the Sherline one with my equipment would be a severe size limitation.

For modeling work on a lathe, you will want at least left hand cutter and tool post, a right hand cutter, a boring cutter, a cutoff tool, a center drill, and a three jaw chuck to start with. Sherline has a package that has these (and some additional useful items). It is a good option to consider.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
ScanmanDan
AF Newbie

Re: Looking to Start, but too much info...

Welcome to the club Michael .

MPWR has given some really good advise. Especially about the adjustable zero handwheels, I so wish my little Sieg CO came with them. But you know what? I work around it and one day I'll add DRO to my little baby. The big thing I think is to get in and have a go.

I would say to take your time, spend what you can comfortably afford and set aside a ton of time to learn how to use the lathe by turning metal. It's a very addictive hobby, at least in my case, but oh so much fun. I'd also advise to stash a bit of cash aside for more bits and pieces, you'll soon see what you need once you get started.

In my case I didn't think about setting aside a space to work in, good lighting, a cover to keep the stupid cat from dragging swarf all over the bench and a case to put all my bits and pieces. Oh, and I just thought of it a nice digital caliper is a super piece of kit.

I know very well what it's like to start out knowing nothing about machine tools. But once you get started it will all click and you're in for a great time. If you get stuck, just ask a question here as there are plenty of very experienced guys to help you out. I know that they have helped me heaps.

One thing you might find helpful is Model Engineers' Workshop magazine. I've found it to be great for describing all kinds of machining operations.

I hope some of this is helpful. Take it from this newbie, " Come on in the waters' fine "

Dan
ScanmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools