Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '96-'00 Civic
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
dan fitz
AF Newbie

Angry bad coil tested ok with ohmmeter

i'm posting this in the civic section because it's the same ignition as in my 99 CRV. car was misfiring for a week, i was going to get to it after a big day of errands, then it died completely out on the highway. fuel filter fine, valves fine, compression excellent, engine codes finally showed up a day or so before quitting, just the rather unhelpful 300,302, 304 and 1399 "misfire detected" codes, like i didn't know that. haynes manual test for the coil is to check the primary and secondary resistances, which were good, leading me to suspect the ICM right below it in my TEC distributor (please shoot me if i ever call it a dizzy). with 176K on it, and having dealt with honda ignitor problems in past years, i was all about checking the Ignition Control Module- most likely suspect. i did see in an internet post or on a Youtube video a way to bypass the ICM and throw a spark to test the coil but thought that might lead to damage to the computer- didn't want to take that gamble, and the resistance test was fine, right? well, hours at the junkyard and a pair of used ICM's later, same no spark condition. you know how it is when you do the same tests over and over with the same result... So either the coil was bad or it's something way worse, the computer or the position sensors acting up. back to the junkyard, bought 2 coils for around $10 each, put one in and presto, problem fixed. autozone wanted $50 for one coil, and either $50 or $200 for an ICM, depending on the quality. the ICM's were about $15 i believe at the yard- i hate to buy new if i'm not sure the part is bad. the upshot is not to buy the ohm test at face value for the coil- figure out how to zap a spark through it (sorry i don't have a link but i bet some readers can supply that info) before you lay out the bucks for those always nonreturnable electrical parts.
dan fitz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '96-'00 Civic