Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #1
jcniest5
AF Newbie

Size question...

Hi guys! New here and I have a question. I just bought a used '06 Chevy Trailblazer and one of the tires is 255/65/R16 and all the all others are 235/75/R16. Will there be any problems driving my vehicle with these unmatched tires?

Thanks in advance!
jcniest5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Size question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcniest5 View Post
Hi guys! New here and I have a question. I just bought a used '06 Chevy Trailblazer and one of the tires is 255/65/R16 and all the all others are 235/75/R16. Will there be any problems driving my vehicle with these unmatched tires?

Thanks in advance!
In emergency situations, vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires. So, Yes!!, you may have a problem when you least want one!

Also, the diameters are different by 3/4". That will cause excessive wear in the drivetrain.

And if the vehicle is a AWD or if 4X4, when the 4WD is engaged, you could destroy the drivetrain.

Visit my website: http://www.barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Back in 1989, when I had a new round a tires put on my '81 Buick Century at Sears, I drove home and the car pulled sharply to one side. I immediately went back to Sears, and they were in the process of racking the car for an alignment check, whe one of the quicker-thinking technicians spotted a different size on one of my new tires.

They took the car off the alignment station, put it on a lift, changed the wrong sized tire out, wrote up the paperwork for switching the tire, no charge, and sent me on my way. Car tracked straight all the way home.

How did the above even happen?
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
jcniest5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
In emergency situations, vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires. So, Yes!!, you may have a problem when you least want one!

Also, the diameters are different by 3/4". That will cause excessive wear in the drivetrain.

And if the vehicle is a AWD or if 4X4, when the 4WD is engaged, you could destroy the drivetrain.
Oh, no!!! That can't be good! I should take the spare (which is the same size as the other three tires) and have that put on. It's winter here now and when the snow comes, I will need the 4x4.
jcniest5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:29 AM   #5
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcniest5 View Post
Oh, no!!! That can't be good! I should take the spare (which is the same size as the other three tires) and have that put on. It's winter here now and when the snow comes, I will need the 4x4.
The rule of thumb for AWD's and 4X4's is to have all 4 tires being the same size/make/model/state of wear.

In this case, the spare probably has more tread depth than the other 4. That means there is a risk the drivetrain may be damaged - very expensive.

Visit my website: http://www.barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels