Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
LND
AF Newbie

Odyssey 2001 Alarm going off

Hello everyone,

I have an Odyssey 2001. In the past 2 months also, its alarm starts going off by itself without anyone touching the van.

I am just wondering if any body facing the same problem and knows how to get rid of the nuisance.

Many many thanks,
LND
LND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

Re: Odyssey 2001 Alarm going off

Factory or aftermarket???
lorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
LND
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Odyssey 2001 Alarm going off

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorunner
Factory or aftermarket???
Hi Lorunner,

My alarm is factory installed. It never had a problem since the day the van left the dealership.

Many thanks for your concern,
LND
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Rufnusd
AF Newbie

The alarm only has door trigger and igntion sense to trigger. Your alarm should not false ever. It is multiplexed in the door. If your interior door switch ever got to wet.......well you know.
Rufnusd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
gunnmen01
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gunnmen01 Send a message via Yahoo to gunnmen01

could be a bad multiplex, take it back and let your dealer look at it... it doesnt ring any bells right now

gunnmen01
Old 01-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
LND
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Odyssey 2001 Alarm going off

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnmen01
could be a bad multiplex, take it back and let your dealer look at it... it doesnt ring any bells right now

gunnmen01
The door does make sense.

My wife let one of her sisters borrow the van. Her 5-year old kid did not realize the door is power-opened and pull the handle real hard to open it. However, the electronics tripped and the door failed to open since then, no matter how hard we tried.

After a few weeks, my wife let another sister borrow the van. This time, her husband yanked the door real hard to force it opened. It did, but .......

After these two events, the alarm start going off unexpectedly.

I will take the van to the dealer to let them check it.

Many thanks to everyone for chipping in ideas.

LND
Old 03-13-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
LND
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Odyssey 2001 Alarm going off

I brought the van to the dealership and they could not fix it. Rufnusd, it went off twice in nice sunny weather.

Is there a way to turn of the alarm completely?

Many thanks,
LND
Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
rschmidt
AF Newbie

We have a 2003 Honda Odyssey and for the last 6-9 mos the horn goes off spontaneously. This can happen at any time (middle of the nite) and seems to happen for no reason. There is no predictability to this. The only way we can keep it from happening is to keep a door open or to pop the hood of the car. We have taken it to the dealership about 4 times and they just shrug their shoulders and say they don't know what it causing it and suggest that we must be pushing the panic button (which we are not). We don't have an alarm on the car. Does anyone have any suggestions? VERY frustrated in Houston!
rschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
Rufnusd
AF Newbie

If your somewhat electronic savy you could just ground out the blue wire in the drivers door. Its appx 22 gauge. This wire goes to the key switch on the exterior. It is the means for disarming the alarm if you were to lose your remotes.

Once again simply strip back the wire, tap a wire onto it, then take that wire and ground it securely to the metal on the door.

Cheers, Mel
Old 09-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
JanMarJenZak
AF Newbie

Post Re: Odyssey 2001 Alarm going off

We also have a 2001 EX and the exact same thing is happening to us, although we did have an aftermarket starter installed, they have uninstalled it and the alarm is STILL going off all the time for no reason. We feel like the dealership is messing with us, I refuse to believe that there is no way to disconnect the alarm so that it just doesn't sound! They actually told us that we didn't have an alarm on the van, just a panic button, my husband spent 5 minutes checking the owner's manual & lo & behold, discovered that, in fact, we DO have an alarm on the van, factory installed. Any suggestions on how to disable the noise without disabling all my other remotes (really like the remote for sliding doors & don't want to give them up) would be greatly appreciated. Also, would it be safe to reinstall the starter or should I just forget it at this point? Thanks!
JanMarJenZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #11
Rufnusd
AF Newbie

Please see my previous post. This is the only way to disarm the alarm and allow the remotes to still work. Regarding the remote start.... if you fell as though the labor to reinstall it is worth it then go for it. The installer will find this job much easier when the factory alarm is permenantly disabled. It will still call for a bypass unit on the ignition switch as this is based on inductive coupling. Cheers, Mel
Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #12
Importech
AF Newbie

There are 2 common causes for the Odyessy alarm to go off. !st is in the power sliding doors there are electrical connections called Junction Switches. These Junction Switches can become worn or misaligned or corroded over time causing high electrical resistance in the system. The switches no only affect the power sliding doors, but also the alarm system. The high resistance can cause the alarm system to think that the door has been opened. These things can be affected by a change in temperature, such as parking the car in the sun and then moving it to the shade or when night falls, or vise versa. With no rhyme or reason. The only solution to this is to have the Junction Switches replaced in both sliding doors. Also have the Latch mechanisms checked out since the door was forced open at one time & may be damaged.
The other common cause has been the remotes themselves. The remotes can become warped or distorted causing the small electrical contacts inside to stick at times, thus activating the Panic" mode in the alarm system. I hope this will help you.

I have been a Honda / Acura Technician for 22+ years now. These are the most common causes we have seen. -Alan.
Importech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
manvny
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importech
There are 2 common causes for the Odyessy alarm to go off. !st is in the power sliding doors there are electrical connections called Junction Switches. These Junction Switches can become worn or misaligned or corroded over time causing high electrical resistance in the system. The switches no only affect the power sliding doors, but also the alarm system. The high resistance can cause the alarm system to think that the door has been opened. These things can be affected by a change in temperature, such as parking the car in the sun and then moving it to the shade or when night falls, or vise versa. With no rhyme or reason. The only solution to this is to have the Junction Switches replaced in both sliding doors. Also have the Latch mechanisms checked out since the door was forced open at one time & may be damaged.
The other common cause has been the remotes themselves. The remotes can become warped or distorted causing the small electrical contacts inside to stick at times, thus activating the Panic" mode in the alarm system. I hope this will help you.

I have been a Honda / Acura Technician for 22+ years now. These are the most common causes we have seen. -Alan.
Does your recommendation on the Junction Switches also apply to my 2003 Odyssey? If yes, are these switches easy to replace? How? Is there a fuse related to the horn alarm to temporarily disable it? If no, how can I reset the alarm of my Odyssey? Is there a toggle switch to turn off? Many thanks.
manvny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
Importech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvny
Does your recommendation on the Junction Switches also apply to my 2003 Odyssey? If yes, are these switches easy to replace? How? Is there a fuse related to the horn alarm to temporarily disable it? If no, how can I reset the alarm of my Odyssey? Is there a toggle switch to turn off? Many thanks.
Yes, however the 2003 Odyessy should have the update switches in it from the factory. But it is still possible for them to become corroded (although they may look fine to an untrained eye) or mis aligned.
The sliding door panels and the "B" pillar post inside panel will have to be removed. After that, alignment of the switch contacts is critical. While none of this is Rocket Science, it does take some above average mechanical ability & familiarity whith the vehicle.
As for disabling the alarm, there is no switch of fuse to pull that will disable it w/o disaling other systems. If you un-plug the wires to the under-hood switch located near the hood latch it will not allow the alarm to arm itself, thus disabling the alarm. I hope this is helpful.
Good Luck -Alan.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
Importech
AF Newbie

Another cause of alarm problems just came to mind! I have had incidents where children have put coins into the CD player slot on the radio. (gotta Love 'em. Bless thier little hearts) This wreaks havoc on the radio & sets the alarm off at times as well as other freaky erratic behavior. I once had a customer bring their car in with over $12 in change inside!
Cha-ching!
-Alan.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey