Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
justav6
AF Regular

pentastar engine question

i had a question i was hoping someone here would have some info on. the pentastar 3.6L is used in a lot of dodge/chrysler applications. I was curious why they have differents specs in different vihicles. example grand caravan and avenger 283hp 260lb-ft, and Challenger 305hp 268lb-ft. 22hp and 8lb-ft seems significant for the same motor. Is it a ecm change such as timing advance or something along the lines of exaust/intake, or a fuel delivery volume/pressure difference? just curious i appreciate anyones help or info
justav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Scotty89
AF Regular

Re: pentastar engine question

From what i was told the 3.6 is Chrysler's 6 cylinder motor they are using now. My guess is that with the different vehicles they would have to change some stuff around to compensate for stuff like vehicle weight and uses. With it in the Challenger for example, since it is a sportier vehicle than a minivan, you would want some more Hp and torque. I don't know if that is the real reason but it makes since to me.
Scotty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
justav6
AF Regular

Red face Re: pentastar engine question

Thanks for your response, that does make sense. The c/v is my work van and it is usually loaded with weight be it tools parts or anything else. Any increase in power would be helpful, I dont have many options like a charger buyer would. If I wanted power from a charger I'd get the rt if not the srt. I'm stuck with this motor which to my surprise is no dog. Granted its not my gtp or 87 grand national which are my personal vehicals. I was shocked at how quickly it hits 115 stock being a minivan : ) I'm going to do the easy stuff like cold air kit and k&n etc. I'm not going crazy with it, it is still a minivan. I know how to get some more power, I'm just curious how dodge did it. They don't understand a work van needs power more than a base model charger. I give them credit though, it's a good motor as far as performance mpg etc, can't comment on reliability yet. Stock brakes however are the worst I ever had, started warping at 10k miles. Shot now at 16k, back to brembos as usual. I was just curious about the difference, exhaust seems free and intake is not restricted. I don't want to mess with ECM or anything like that. I'm not looking for a race car from a minivan, just any overlooked power potential they didn't include from the factory. Thanks for the help as always guys, and thank god I didn't get stuck with a ford transit, that thing is just a joke.
justav6 is offline   Reply With Quote