Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #31
nick1987
AF Newbie

im having trouble with removing the dashboard on my 1998 sunfire i have removed all the screws and bolts to my knowledge and the dash still dosnt want to come out any helpfull info or images for sunfire dash's not cavys?
nick1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #32
GoHeels222
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to GoHeels222 Send a message via MSN to GoHeels222 Send a message via Yahoo to GoHeels222
I have a question, say you wanted to remove the whole front dash for painting purpouses, and after you go through all the steps as listed, whats the only thing holding the dash on, the dimmer switch? Just cut the dimmer switch and thats it, the dash is off?
GoHeels222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #33
dickdarlington
AF Newbie

Thanks for the very detailed description, I was able to get me new car stereo installed and the car back together in less than 2 hours, thus saving me $50 and having to wait till late next week for Best Buy to fit me in the schedule.
dickdarlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:28 PM   #34
1stcavyz24
AF Newbie

Re: HOW TO: Remove Front/Rear Dash and Install Deck, Remove Door Panels

Hey, hoping someone would be able to help with this.

i just removed my front dash/centre consol trim for painting but,,, the long strip inbetween the front window and the vent... how is that taken off to paint.. or how is it possible to paint that? I can see bolts holding it on, but it seems to be craddled into everything,,, the airbags, wiring,,, everything... Should I tape newspaper on the window and surround areas and spray paint in the car?? (doesnt seem like such a good idea)... alittle more help on this topic would be great

Thanks
1stcavyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:34 PM   #35
cavy2fast4u
AF Regular

The only way to remove it is to take the whole cockpit out. It is like the main peice. Someone at one time made a fiberglass cover that just snapped down on the old one. So yeah your best bet would be to either pull EVERYTHING out or mask everything off real good.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #36
1stcavyz24
AF Newbie

alright thanks,,, looks like i'll try the good old maskin everything off real good way...

once again thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #37
cavy2fast4u
AF Regular

no prob
Old 02-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #38
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

It was WINks who use to make the cover for those who had cracked dashes... but he's no longer in business..

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #39
1stcavyz24
AF Newbie

well,,, i took the time and took apart my dash for painting on thursday... i wanted something to do,,,,,,, dispite the cold weather i still managed with alot of heaters.. anyways,,, the middle vent i have yet to put back on,, been kinda lazy... but its white aswell,,, the entire interior will be these colors at one point,,, most likely start it come summer,, to much work keeping the cold away from the paint... so what u all think??

and the bottom right picture,, thats glare,, not a big mess up with white spray paint :P,, but the airbag cover is white,, shoulda made this pic bigger,,,,, center vents are same color blue,, same with driver side vent
Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #40
count4thme
AF Newbie

I had to join in and I see that this was a long time ago but this helped me out alot and the Dude with the issues ,, Hope he made it through it fine . Cause ppl like that have a hard time getting through life doing everything the hard way..
Thanks guys very informative,
Count4thme
count4thme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #41
xerk
AF Newbie

Hi, i was taking apart my dash today in my 99' cavlier and i am studh at the passenger airbag. the dash seems to be stuck there... every time me and my brother try to pop it off, it wont budge... also is there any risk of the air bag deploying with out disconnecting the battery, or as i pull off the dash?
<--- Me right now... with a ripped apart dash. lol
thanks!
- MIKE
xerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #42
1stcavyz24
AF Newbie

Disconnecting the battery is not that big of a deal, just becareful. I took mine apart no problem. Make sure you have unscrewed all the bolts/screws in the tutorial. Use a screw driver to pri the dash upwards to reveal the clips where you should be lifting away. The passanger side, (if all the bolts/screws are removed) just give it a little force, it should pop right off,, the airbag is covered in a white paper but not directly touching the dash so you shouldnt worry too much about it going off... along the topside there arent any clips holding it on,, once you have that part of the dash lifted, you have to disconnect the dimmer switch,, (follow the wires around to the opposite side of the steering column) and it should be sticking to the side, pull it away and unclip it (should be blue). then take the dash pieces out
Old 02-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #43
cavy2fast4u
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerk
Hi, i was taking apart my dash today in my 99' cavlier and i am studh at the passenger airbag. the dash seems to be stuck there... every time me and my brother try to pop it off, it wont budge... also is there any risk of the air bag deploying with out disconnecting the battery, or as i pull off the dash?
<--- Me right now... with a ripped apart dash. lol
thanks!
- MIKE
Sounds like you still have the cover bolts in. Open your glovebox, there is an open area at the top of it. There should be 2 7mm bolts (kinda goldish color) there, take them out and that should be it.

I never disconnect my battery when doing anything electrical, but then again I could be an idiot.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #44
xerk
AF Newbie

Alright i unscrewed the 2 bolts before and i guess tomorow after work ill just try pulling up.... hmmm it seemed sooooo hard to get off before... what eva.
THANKS GUYS!
-mike
xerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #45
Viper_Storm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Viper_Storm Send a message via MSN to Viper_Storm
Re: HOW TO: Remove Front/rear dash and install deck, remove door pannels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie
If i left anything out besides the actual wiring it up of it all... let me know and i'll add it..

1 more thing i forgot.. when connecting the wire harnesses.. please don't use wire crimps or wire nuts.. i've seen it too often where they have come undone and taking the dash apart gets annyoing over time..... Soder the wires and black tape them off....

you can just unplug the harness to the dash trim peice and remove it altogether, the harness is on the right side of the guage cluster (for anyone intrested it removing the whole damn thing) it makes life easier if you are trying to wire in a new antenna.

Money talks, But all mine ever says is Goodbye
~Viper

"twospirts" / "TS" - Definition: Obsolete
Viper_Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance