Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
patriot777
AF Newbie

Exclamation Help! knock sensor, misfire, 02 sensor codes

I'm new on here and have a 99 Villager that has had a knock sensor code for years. Today I noticed the check engine light blinking while my van was idle and warming up so I turned it off. I gave it a few minutes and then took it out on the road and the blinking did not come back. I pulled the 5 codes as I have a diagnostic tool. Two of the codes are repeats. Please help! I'm not worried about a simple bad knock sensor but the blinking got my attention. Here are the codes:

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 or 1 Sensor
P0300 Random/multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
*These codes show up a second time

I have no idea where to start. I have seen lots of talk on the knock sensor but I havent found anyone with these exact codes. Any help would be appreciated!
patriot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help! knock sensor, misfire, 02 sensor codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot777 View Post
I'm new on here and have a 99 Villager that has had a knock sensor code for years. Today I noticed the check engine light blinking while my van was idle and warming up so I turned it off. I gave it a few minutes and then took it out on the road and the blinking did not come back. I pulled the 5 codes as I have a diagnostic tool. Two of the codes are repeats. Please help! I'm not worried about a simple bad knock sensor but the blinking got my attention. Here are the codes:

P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
*These codes show up a second time

I have no idea where to start. I have seen lots of talk on the knock sensor but I havent found anyone with these exact codes. Any help would be appreciated!

First thing is DO NOT REPLACE KNOCK SENSOR. the random missfire is setting the knock sensor code and is a waste of money to replace.

Second you need to find your missfire. Take a look at the wire, plugs and the distributor cap, rotor and distributor itself for any odd burn marks inside cap or by the coil. The distributors are a common fault on these vehicles. How many miles on vehicle???

Once you get the missfire fiqured out then check the precat oxygen sensors heater circuit for broken wires, if OK then you will need to replace sensors..

Here is a video that may interest you on the distributor:

http://realfixesrealfast.com/realfix...t_Misfire.html

Welcome to the forum
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
patriot777
AF Newbie

It has about 205,000 miles on it. Do you think it is causing damage to continue driving the vehicle? You may be right with the distributor problem. Is it likely the entire distributor or just the cap.....do you know how I can determine which one? If the entire distributor needs to be replaced I'm not sure I can do it due to it needing the timing adjusted. I have no idea how to adjust timing....looks pretty complicated?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
It has about 205,000 miles on it. Do you think it is causing damage to continue driving the vehicle? You may be right with the distributor problem. Is it likely the entire distributor or just the cap.....do you know how I can determine which one? If the entire distributor needs to be replaced I'm not sure I can do it due to it needing the timing adjusted. I have no idea how to adjust timing....looks pretty complicated?

You can drive it but with the misfire and 02 sensor running lean it could be loading the cat convertor with unburned fuel which could damage the convertor. I would try to limit the amount it is driven in my opinion if possible.

I would remove the distributor cap and have some one crank the engine while oberving the distributor looking for any spark jumping that should not be (mainly where the coil spark travels from coil to distributo cap). Also remove the rotor and plate over the CMPS (camshaft position sensor) in the distributor. Look for any brownish dust over the sensor (it is a round disk with slots, if any dust present the bearing is bad and distribtor needs replacing.

Replaing the distributor is not that hard, follow the steps given in the video, then you could take to a shop to check the timing.

Read this about distributor:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EA39Tju...rom%20Todd.pdf

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EA39TjQ...d%20Timing.pdf

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IBv9TmZ...out%20CMPS.pdf

When is the last time the cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires were replaced??? Have you watched the video??

Here is the distributor from Todd on ebay, In my opinion it is the only place to get it from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2002-Ni...item5ae44541b3

EDIT:

Another thing to try is running the engine at night when it is dark to look for any spark jumping from the wires and distributor, you could even use a spray bottle and spray a mist of water on the spark plug wires.

Last edited by tempfixit; 12-30-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
patriot777
AF Newbie

When I click on the links from your last post it gives me the message "Webpage cannot be found."

I took a video of the distributor spark on my van. I'm hoping you could tell if its a bad distributor by the video? I was trying to compare it to the video you sent but I'm not sure what to look for. My video also goes on to show the condition of the cap and the distributor itself after the spark test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E5pTgsQKps

I don't know the actual mileage for the current plugs and wires but its been more than 5 years so I'm sure its time for replacement regardless of the distributor.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Last edited by patriot777; 12-31-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
When I click on the links from your last post it gives me the message "Webpage cannot be found."

I took a video of the distributor spark on my van. I'm hoping you could tell if its a bad distributor by the video? I was trying to compare it to the video you sent but I'm not sure what to look for. My video also goes on to show the condition of the cap and the distributor itself after the spark test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcis5...ature=youtu.be

I don't know the actual mileage for the current plugs and wires but its been more than 5 years so I'm sure its time for replacement regardless of the distributor.

Thanks for taking the time to help.
I looked at your video and I believe you have a bad distibutor. There should not be any spark jumping where the coil lead goes to the rotor thru the cap. It is hard to tell but it looks like there is a crack or chip at the top of coil lead and the spark is jumping to ground which would be the body of distributor. Look at the video I posted, where after installation of new distributor and the engine is being cranked you will not see any spark jumping, the way it should be. If you can have someone crank the engine will you watch at engine and you will see what I mean.

The links I posted last time are from another forum.

I recommend getting the distributor I posted from ebay as they have a lifetime warranty and new not remanufactored distributors.

PM sent. Look in the upper right side, it will say pirvate messages, click on it to get messages.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
patriot777
AF Newbie

After I swap the distributor I see the guy set the timing again. Is that necessary? Do you know any good videos on how to set the timing? I don't know if I will be able to do that....looks kinda hard.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
After I swap the distributor I see the guy set the timing again. Is that necessary? Do you know any good videos on how to set the timing? I don't know if I will be able to do that....looks kinda hard.

What I would do is mark where the rotor is pointing to like he shows in the video. Plus I would take a straigt edge and put it against the distributor shaft and over the center of the coil tower in the distributor and mark on the engine with a line so you can match the base of the distributor to the exact location again. Maybe put the mark on the radiator hose closest to the distributor with a chalk marker or white out and you should be very close if not right on with the timing. You can always have someone else check the timing once you have it all back together and running again. 15*BTC is the timing on these engines.

Any more questions do not be afraid to ask as we will help any way we can. You can do it, not that hard.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Have you replaced the distributorr???
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Have you replaced the distributor or found the fix for your problem. Posting the fix could help someone elsee in the future when they do a search.

Please post fix and thank you
Old 08-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Howie T.
AF Newbie

Hi, i'm new to this forum and realize this post is several years old but, i want to tell you the solution for the knock sensor:
My mechanic, who knows how to re-wire vehicles, removed and relocated my knock sensor from the bottom, to the top of the engine. He said " a knock is a knock, the sensor need not be on the bottom of the engine - costing hundreds of dollars in labor costs to service a 4 dollar part!
Now my sensor is right on top, as easy as getting to the oil and, the light never comes on, i was able to pass emissions and it's one less thing to worry about!
Hope this helps someone in the future?
Howie T. is offline   Reply With Quote