Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Shadow
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #16
john51md
AF Regular

Re: FINALLY! A page for shadows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
Oh and on the gearing. I live in mountains too, I never really had a problem because my car makes so much low end torque. But, if you really want scrappier gearing you can find a certain transmission in 89-90 has the 3:85 gearing instead of the 3:50 gearing. So your gears would be 10% lowing gearing, better for easier take-offs and acceleration. Speaking of acceleration, this is where traction is a concern for FWD cars. Here's a few trick I did. Re-locate the battery over to the passenger side, shim the front sway bar. Now you will atleast have both front tires spinning instead of 1 tire fires. Next we need to eliminate the rear end squat on take-off, thats nothing a set of gabriel hi-jacker air shocks can't take care of! I get full traction in SECOND gear using these tricks, and with 300 HP to the wheels in a FWD thats pretty darn impressive. I've taken power stroke pickups and cobra mustangs OFF THE LINE before, short shift first at 5K RPM and then mash second, SEEYA!
I think we are just after two different things . I like a powerful car, but to me 'enough power' is to pass on the highway, hold speeds on interstate hills, run around in these mountains without pedal to the floor for normal driving, all that type thing. I have no concern at all about racing or strip times, etc.
As you said, a lower ratio would be nice if i had a manual, but the auto tranny is fine in the 3.0 for me.
And i hate the squat in rear of this Shadow, no other FWD i have had did it like this thing does, maybe it is weak springs, i dunno. But then again they ride rough enough as is with out being rock hard from air shocks.
I thought about a 4 corner set of 1" lowering springs from Ebach (sp) but when you ask anyone who used them , the answer you get you cant put much store in because each persons idea of what is "ok" and "not hard" or "too hard" is all individual tastes. And vary from car to car a lot. Guess all is left is to try them and see.
Gas rear shocks made on diff. at all. I didnt expect it too do wonders,other than possibly a tiny bit, but i cant feel any difference at all. SO maybe they are weak. This car was a town car and never abused at all, never carried any loads. Maybe just crappy springs to begin with?
Wonder..... are there any daytona rear springs that will fit? be any better? I do know of a junked mid 80's Daytona and a Lazer sitting near by.
No idea if springs are interchangable. Any clue?
john51md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

The springs are interchangeable. But you must find springs from a 87-88 shelby Z daytona, not a regular daytona they will be the same as you have now. I'm not sure if the 89's are the same or not.
I didn't have much ride difference with the air shocks actually, barely noticed.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #18
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
The springs are interchangeable. But you must find springs from a 87-88 shelby Z daytona, not a regular daytona they will be the same as you have now. I'm not sure if the 89's are the same or not.
I didn't have much ride difference with the air shocks actually, barely noticed.
A Shelby Z eh? be lots easier to get new aftermarket than locate those i bet.
Would think a heavier Daytona would have a bit more spring under the rear, guess not.
i have used air shocks on a lot of cars over time, most RWD, i imagine you didnt load the air bags on yours like i did , and we all did back then to get a high rear end lift. I know they get pretty hard when used for lift, maybe just load the bags just short of any lift would work, sorta expensive when you wouldnt be sure ride would still be to your liking. As is i am not in love with the Shadow ride from factory, i am more used to large car ride, like my Caprice/lumina were. I know i cant expect that from a small car so no worries there.I just dont want to make it more harsh then is, which is going to be hard to do and get rid of the squat.
Why do these things squat so much anyway? the 5 speed Metro didnt, the Z24 i had didnt, but then again, maybe they are just extreamly weak, hard to know when its the only Shadow you ever messed with.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #19
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Shelby Z's are decently common. Whats rare is finding the 5 speed intercooled shelby Z. Most were automatic which got the T1 engine, not nearly as good. But, doesn't matter auto or manual tranny for the rear springs, they were the same.
I didn't have air bags, I had air shocks. I put about 60 PSI in them, only raised the rear about an inch. The ride was not compromised much at all. Like I said my first car that had the 440 was a Chrysler Newport, so I am also used to land yacht smooth sailing cars myself. The daytona ran very smooth and is a pleasure to drive on the highway. I haven't driven my shadow yet, still fixing it up.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #20
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Shelby Z's are decently common. Whats rare is finding the 5 speed intercooled shelby Z. Most were automatic which got the T1 engine, not nearly as good. But, doesn't matter auto or manual tranny for the rear springs, they were the same.
I didn't have air bags, I had air shocks. I put about 60 PSI in them, only raised the rear about an inch. The ride was not compromised much at all. Like I said my first car that had the 440 was a Chrysler Newport, so I am also used to land yacht smooth sailing cars myself. The daytona ran very smooth and is a pleasure to drive on the highway. I haven't driven my shadow yet, still fixing it up.
Yes i know, wehn i said air bags, i meant the air bags on air shocks that are hidden in the upper half.
I spose i could try them, adding just a little air at a time to see if the squat lessens, and ride is still allright.
My sorta first cars were 67/68 Plymouth Furys, had 2 fury II's and a fury III 383's . And a 65 Chevy Wagon with a 396, along the way Galaxies and Caprices, etc. Then got into Broncos, Ford and Chevy full size 4x4's and all that. With probably 50 diff. autos and trucks in between i dont care to remember. LOL
I do care to remember my pristene 69 Mustang, my 70 Charger that i still wish i had kept.
Since you know Daytona's, is the one my cousin found very rare? its a 85 i think, and has all electric seats and everything, has all digital dash, it is a 4 cyl turbo 5 speed, i never really looked at it myself, but he says seats are leather.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #21
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john51md
Yes i know, wehn i said air bags, i meant the air bags on air shocks that are hidden in the upper half.
I spose i could try them, adding just a little air at a time to see if the squat lessens, and ride is still allright.
My sorta first cars were 67/68 Plymouth Furys, had 2 fury II's and a fury III 383's . And a 65 Chevy Wagon with a 396, along the way Galaxies and Caprices, etc. Then got into Broncos, Ford and Chevy full size 4x4's and all that. With probably 50 diff. autos and trucks in between i dont care to remember. LOL
I do care to remember my pristene 69 Mustang, my 70 Charger that i still wish i had kept.
Since you know Daytona's, is the one my cousin found very rare? its a 85 i think, and has all electric seats and everything, has all digital dash, it is a 4 cyl turbo 5 speed, i never really looked at it myself, but he says seats are leather.
Oh OK, but there aren't any ''bags'' in the air shocks. They are basically a cylinder, similar to a hydraulic cylinder but with air. Air bags go in between the springs and pump up.
I couldn't afford the high cost of gas with the 440 I got about 6-12 MPG depending on how I drove. My daytona wouldn't get worse than 21 no matter how much I beat on it and was a lot faster than the newport. I also got 27 MPG highway, not bad for 52 lb injectors in a heavy car for a four banger.
Well your cousins daytona isn't a rare build, they made plenty fully loaded. The only options mine didn't have was leather and automatic, OK well it didn't have T-Tops but it did have a sunroof. It did have digital dash and power everything, even the rear wiper with sprayer which is extremely rare. But the rare part is finding them in good shape this day in age, almost none left. So the answer is yes and no! My daytona didn't have a spot of rust on it when I got it, unfortunitely I didn't have a garage to put it in and since it was my daily driver it did get driven in the snow. And in PA they put plenty of salt down. It only had slight surface rust on it when it left me, the car got totaled by some guy that pulled out from a stop sign and I T-boned them. I miss that car, but all said and done, it was probably for the better because I might have killed myself in it eventually. Ever done 143 MPH in a 45 zone??? LOL
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #22
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Oh OK, but there aren't any ''bags'' in the air shocks. They are basically a cylinder, similar to a hydraulic cylinder but with air. Air bags go in between the springs and pump up.
I couldn't afford the high cost of gas with the 440 I got about 6-12 MPG depending on how I drove. My daytona wouldn't get worse than 21 no matter how much I beat on it and was a lot faster than the newport. I also got 27 MPG highway, not bad for 52 lb injectors in a heavy car for a four banger.
Well your cousins daytona isn't a rare build, they made plenty fully loaded. The only options mine didn't have was leather and automatic, OK well it didn't have T-Tops but it did have a sunroof. It did have digital dash and power everything, even the rear wiper with sprayer which is extremely rare. But the rare part is finding them in good shape this day in age, almost none left. So the answer is yes and no! My daytona didn't have a spot of rust on it when I got it, unfortunitely I didn't have a garage to put it in and since it was my daily driver it did get driven in the snow. And in PA they put plenty of salt down. It only had slight surface rust on it when it left me, the car got totaled by some guy that pulled out from a stop sign and I T-boned them. I miss that car, but all said and done, it was probably for the better because I might have killed myself in it eventually. Ever done 143 MPH in a 45 zone??? LOL
Well, its all the same to me, if its rubber and has air in it, its a bag
And i too know about salt, i am in Maryland, only about 15 minutes from the western Pa. state line. Live out in the country on a county road, so i see plenty of salt, tho sometimes on this mountain i wish i saw more !
I have yet to tag my Shadow, sitting in the garage. Just finished a total upholestry shampoo because the guy that had it smoked like a diesel, and i dont think he ever wound a window down. Smells pretty nice now after shampoo and odor killer spray.
Trying to decide what tires to order, someone put 195x70's on it, to small.
Been looking at either 205x60's or 215x60's I tried a set of Z24 wheels and 215x60's on it and no problems rubbing or anything, they do look better but just wondering if they will hurt mileage, or improve it because they turn less revs per mile, or make any difference at all. The 215's would be about 8 lbs heavier per tire than the 205's i am looking at.
Decided to stay for now with the 14's wheels till there is more money available. It has the curved flat spoke looking alumium wheels on it, used to have gold in the recesses, i polished one wheel and painted the recesses flat black, looks a lot better but also a lot of work.
I could use the Z24 wheels, they look 'not bad' they would be different for sure. I hate cars that all look alike. Taking the exaust off from cat back and replacing almost worn thru pipes, for now just replacment 2" inch all the way, and a moderate quiet turbo dual tip muffler. Having my local muffler shop bend me 2 muffer tip pipes so they exit straight out from under bumper instead of those slash cut angled type the car came with, hate the look of those.
Right now not getting much done, daughter is buying a modular home, a used one on 3 acres of ground, and you know how kids are when it comes to fixing up, " dad? will you fix this, and this, and this......" It never ends.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #23
blkdragon2169
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to blkdragon2169 Send a message via MSN to blkdragon2169 Send a message via Yahoo to blkdragon2169

This is good to have... no more searching for shadow questions anymore....

Iv had mine for about a two years now prior to my dad having it first it since 1998:

Its a 1991 Dodge Shadow ES 2.5L Turbo 4 speed automatic tranny w/ 70,000 original miles.

Everything is stock except i went from seats for a 2 door to seats from a 4 door ( just the front buckets). The exuast was changed from the old stock crap to a new stainless steel round muffler 2.5" inlet 4.5" outlet. Had a donut spare in the trunk in which i changed to a full size spare. the hood was damaged from a tree limb so i went and got a stock hood for it w/o the bump, now i have clearence issues ( not a problem have another hood for a four door cutting the bump off and cutting a hole in mine the welding the bump on there). I have another spoiler which i am going to sell, the rear seats( from 4 door) and old front seats ( from 2 door) are going to be sold soon along with the power seat mechanic thing for the seat will be up for sale... much more things i dont need no more, except for the extra 2.5L engine and turbo i got.

Its a good little car once i get the tranny fixed on it. Will be installing a custom sterio in it, and maybe sprint springs or eibachs will go in, not sure which yet..... Ill post pics if anyone is interested in seeing the beast..

Thanks once again Mods for making a place for the shadow.

kevin
blkdragon2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #24
CVFD1308
AF Newbie

I had one for 2 years, then had to get rid of it about a year ago. When I first got it it had 28000 miles on it, check out the web page from when it was new here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/427589. After 6 months, my fiance at the time plowed a guy in a pickup that ran a stop sign, but he took off, so no insurance money to fix it from him and my ins. co only gave us $400. The car was totalled. But, with my tool set and my handy dandy welder and some duct tape, I was able to get the car completely street legal again. Mind you, it looked like absolute ass, but it ran. I performed nothing but basic maintenance from then on out, so the car began to become even more ratty looking. I drove it for another 2 years until I was 200 miles away from home and the transmission finally quit as i sit in the middle of a busy intersection on rt. 19. It finally caught a gear... 2nd... and i was able to drive the 6 hour trip home, one that usually takes 2.
CVFD1308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #25
CVFD1308
AF Newbie

I had one for 2 years, then had to get rid of it about a year ago. When I first got it it had 28000 miles on it, check out the web page from when it was new here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/427589. After 6 months, my fiance at the time plowed a guy in a pickup that ran a stop sign, but he took off, so no insurance money to fix it from him and my ins. co only gave us $400. The car was totalled. But, with my tool set and my handy dandy welder and some duct tape, I was able to get the car completely street legal again. Mind you, it looked like absolute ass, but it ran. I performed nothing but basic maintenance from then on out, so the car began to become even more ratty looking. I drove it for another 2 years until I was 200 miles away from home and the transmission finally quit as i sit in the middle of a busy intersection on rt. 19. It finally caught a gear... 2nd... and i was able to drive the 6 hour trip home, one that usually takes 2.
CVFD1308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #26
Hiskid
AF Newbie

Hi, I'm new to this site, but have a question. I have a '94 Shadow, and the transmission is not working correctly. Before changing the trans. filter and fluid, it did not shift correctly (1st to 2nd was a real bear). After changing, it ran better for a couple hundred miles, and then stopped. Slipping has occured, now it doesn't move at all. Fluid is ATF+4 and new filter. We took the battery off hoping to reset the computer, didn't work. If turned off and then back on, it would go a few feet and stop again. HELP!
Hiskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 AM   #27
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

You really should have created a new thread for this, but I don't mind.

What engine and tranny do you have? The 3.0L Shadow's used the electronic 4-speed automatic (P-R-N-D-3-L). The 2.2L & 2.5L Shadow's used the 3-speed automatic (P-R-N-D-2-1). I need to know what you have before I can give you acurate advice.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #28
Hiskid
AF Newbie

Sorry, I have no clue on the posting places. I have a 2.2l automatic with the prnd21. It has about 132,000 miles, and last night I got a little forward movement in 30 degree weather. I didn't try to drive it, just checked to see if it moves. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Last edited by Hiskid; 11-24-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Hiskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #29
vamc
AF Enthusiast

Vac leaking maybe?
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #30
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

You have the 3-speed automatic with lock-up converter. This one is NOT the finicky, electronic transmission that most people dread. No computer control, no codes to read and no "limp mode".

First of all, did you check the fluid level in the transmission? Low fluid level will cause your symptoms. An acurate level check requires that you pull the dipstick when the engine is running and idling, the fluid is warm or hot and the selecter is in either "Park" or "Neutral" (always set the parking brake when doing this).

When you check the fluid, look at the color. Wiping the dipstick with a white paper towel is helpful. The fluid should be bright red. If the fluid is reddish-brown or just plain brown, and smells "burnt", an immediate fluid change is required, and pray you haven't done internal damage.

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and filter and adjusted the bands? This service should be performed every 30,000 miles. If you can't remember when, now is a good time. The internal filter will eventually clog if not changed regularly. A clogged filter will cause your symptoms.

Now for the final "functional test". You say in only creeps a little when shifted to "Drive" (D). Try it in "manual low" or (1). Does it creep the same way as drive or is it different? Next, put it in "reverse" (R) and try to back up. Does it move better going backward or the same as going forward?

Check all this out and report back what you find.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Shadow