Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
sfthurber
AF Newbie

intermittent no-start or stall 1994 B250 3.9L

my 1994 B250 3.9L (138k mi) sometimes will fail to start, or will start then stall. the CEL bulb check is dark during these episodes. usually the engine will start and run ok eventually and when it does the CEL bulb check works.
there are no stored DTCs. the crank sensor is about 1 year old. the cam sensor is original. the battery is 3 years old and shows just shy of 12.5V on a DVM, no load.
i gather from other threads that this almost certainly is a PCM issue or perhaps its connections, internal or external.
my PCM lacks a part number, so how do i select a replacement, if it comes to that?
i do plan to clean all the grounds, although they look pretty good from a casual inspection (not disassembled).
i'm also very comfortable with both digital and analogue electronics so going into the PCM is an option.
thanks in advance for any advice.
sfthurber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: intermittent no-start or stall 1994 B250 3.9L

Get the PCM nice and warm with a hairdryer, then try and start it. If it starts and runs fine when you've pre-warmed it like that, then it's definitely the PCM. As to replacing it, without a number on it you'll have to find a replacement based on year, model, engine, and tranny type. I've never opened one, so I can't tell you if the number is also inside or not, but my guess would be no.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
sfthurber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Get the PCM nice and warm with a hairdryer, then try and start it. If it starts and runs fine when you've pre-warmed it like that, then it's definitely the PCM. As to replacing it, without a number on it you'll have to find a replacement based on year, model, engine, and tranny type. I've never opened one, so I can't tell you if the number is also inside or not, but my guess would be no.
thanks for the recommendations.

a little more background--feel free to skip to next paragraph:
i've just purchased the truck. it was $500 with 3 new BFG Longtrail 235x15 tires, in a no start condition, towed home by the seller's AAA. so i don't know much about its condition yet (other than what its service records say). but it's free of rust and drives great when it runs). The truck is 1994 B-250, 3.9L MPFI, with 3 speed A/T w/TCC.

soon after my post of yesterday i took a more careful look at the gounding, beginning at the battery. the battery negative lead's connector was loose on the post. removed, cleaned and tightened it and the positive side.
no starting or stalling issues today. If no/start/stalling issues resume i'll try the hair dryer trick and, either way, open up the PCM's box to reflow solder joints and replace any electrolytic capacitors it may have.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
sfthurber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfthurber View Post
thanks for the recommendations.

soon after my post of yesterday i took a more careful look at the gounding, beginning at the battery. the battery negative lead's connector was loose on the post. removed, cleaned and tightened it and the positive side.
no starting or stalling issues today. If no/start/stalling issues resume i'll try the hair dryer trick and, either way, open up the PCM's box to reflow solder joints and replace any electrolytic capacitors it may have.
still working fine today.
fingers crossed.
[ hope dies hard :-)) ]
Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
sfthurber
AF Newbie

the pcm eventually failed.
there was a part # inside but it was a standard motor products reman part #.
so i went with the mopar-recommended reman unit (part # 04886665R).
worked perfectly.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van