Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
portoghese
AF Newbie

Any possible engine swaps

Im about to come into a lot of money. i want to do an engine swap for a 87-91 body style. Now im all about going big or going home. im trying to figure out what engine can i throw into this. i also plan on a rear wheel convertion as well, i dont know if that matters or not. when i say big i mean it, if i could throw an engine with a twin turbo in it i would do it.

thanks for any help.
portoghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Any possible engine swaps

There are plenty of RWD sporty cars which would be a better (and cheaper) starting point than converting your car.

If you really, really wanted something fast and unique, keep the existing driveline up front. Pick up an identical Daytona driveline and subframe, complete with suspension and steering, and put it in the back. Lots of skilled fabrication would be required but you would end up with a two-engined full-time 4wd car.

BTW it only works if both engines have automatic transmissions.

This has been done with quite a few front-drive cars..... a few years ago there was a company which would do this to fwd Cadillacs on a commercial basis.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
portoghese
AF Newbie

well the daytona is my favorite car. i know i could make this cheaper on myself but i don't want to

as for the rear wheel there is a conversion kit for $900 so i planned to go down that route. i don't like automatics.
portoghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by portoghese View Post
as for the rear wheel there is a conversion kit for $900 so i planned to go down that route.
Yeah, the Mopar kit supposedly has been discontinued for 10 years or so, and even then, you had to supply additional parts on your own.

Let us know if you find another method.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by portoghese View Post
Im about to come into a lot of money. i want to do an engine swap for a 87-91 body style. Now im all about going big or going home. im trying to figure out what engine can i throw into this. i also plan on a rear wheel convertion as well, i dont know if that matters or not. when i say big i mean it, if i could throw an engine with a twin turbo in it i would do it.

thanks for any help.
You said that you are coming into a LOT of money. Forget the kit; buy stick, a mig, a chop saw, saws all, and some medium thickness square tubing. Then grab a cage from Jeggs, and the engine/tranny that you like.

Then get dirty. I did that with a little horizon, remember to work on it at least 10 minuets a day, don’t give up and never quit
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
exline
AF Newbie

If you really want to V8 your daytona and make it RWD you can do it. mine is a 92 with a 360 and T56 6 speed. There may be cheaper ways to go fast or easier ways to go fast but this thing is a lot of fun to drive! I have been running it since 1999. You will seriously surprise the riceburner guys and mustangs.
here is a link to the web site to check out the conversion and parts.
www.exlinecustomauto.com
exline is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona