Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-3
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
young_11_blood
AF Newbie

Clutch went?? is that all that is wrong :(

first thing im goin to say is im not a transmisson guy...i was comin to a stop and i went to down shift into second... and the clutch felt "empty" for a lack of better terms.. so i stopped and and put the clutch in and first gear was solid. i could not get it into gear. no fluid was under the car and when it ran it seemed to have a ticking, or clankin noise. is my trany screwed or is it the flex plate???
young_11_blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
young_11_blood
AF Newbie

Re: Clutch went?? is that all that is wrong :(

so did some testing after a buddy said it would be the throwout bearing if the car wouldnt move in gear. is this true??
Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
rlryder21
AF Newbie

When you say "1st gear was solid", do you mean the clutch felt good going into 1st or that the trans wouldn't physically shift into 1st? Just to make sure I understood the problem correctly.

I am assuming the clutch is hydraulic on your mx3. First off make sure it has fluid and
check if the slave cylinder is moving smoothly while someone works the clutch. Listen to the arm going into the trans and as close to the trans as possible. If you hear light ping everytime the clutch is depressed it's a good indication you spun the throw out bearing...

As far as testing the car to see if it will move in gear- I' not sure that's a clear indication of what's going on. If the clutch is bad or the pressure plate failed the car would have red lined when you were driving and you would probably have smelled it.

If there is a clanking inside the trans casing then you can't really escape pulling it apart to remedy it- let me know what you find.
rlryder21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
young_11_blood
AF Newbie

yes it is hydraulic and i have fluid. first gear is solid when its running but when i turn the car off i can put it in gear. it never red lined. and there was no clanking. i took the test plate off and the clutch is still good. and when i put it in gear then try and start the car it jumps forward which means my clutch is good right.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-3