Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #31
Ole_L
AF Regular

Re: Dántin Pramac Ducati GP4 ´05 Test+Race

Nice progress Joel... it's a nice kit to work with and you're doing it justice.
Ole_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #32
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole_L
Nice progress Joel... it's a nice kit to work with and you're doing it justice.
Thanks Ole, and may I say it's nice to see you back on the scene.

Time for a small update.
Test bike is all decalled up and I love it. Decals went on without any problems beside the fact that I got one of the side cowl Dántin logos in the wrong position That hade nothing to do with the decal itself though so I have to bare that mistake.

Decals from Renaissance are of very high quality but some of them are in the wrong size which is quite annoying for a rivet counter... One of the Magnolia flowers on the top cowl is also printed the wrong way (at least from my ref pics although you can't be too sure that the image isn't reverted)

A problem I have is that the rear magnolias is overlapping the seat and rear cowl and had to be cut. I totally forgot to do it while the decals were still wet and now I'm a bit worried that they will crack if I put the scalpel in them.

I've used a lot of Micro Sol and they might be fragile. Any ideas from you guys on how to proceed? I could check if the parts can be installed as is but it can be problems with the exhausts...

Another problem that I've encountered is due to the choice of race version. As the decal sheet from Renaissance gives you the chance to the version I posted in the beginning of this thread I fell for that option and painted the higher black section on the sides. With this paint scheme you can do two liveries, one with just the red Pramac logo and one with the logo on a white base. Unfortunately the first choice had to be dropped as the decal is cut in the wrong way on the sheet. I went for the logo on the white base but also this had its problems. The logo is separated into two parts due to the design of the cowl. The smaller part is to be positioned in the ventilation scope but it is WAY to big and doesn't have the right angle compared to the other part. It is like Renaissance just made the logo and cut out one section. I had to cut the smaller part down and install it even if it looks like crap, there were no choices left if I wouldn't strip the whole set and do the basic Tamiya version.... I hate these things.
Here's a picture

Top cowl is decalled up and I've left the number decal out as it is a bit chromed. I think I'll put it on top of the clear coat instead.

Swing arms has some differences when it comes to logos. Have a look for yourselves.

best regards
Joel
Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 AM   #33
rrutherford
AF Regular

where the decal joint cutting is concerned Joel, try clear coating lightly then cutting gently about an hour after. decals will still be soft from clear coat and will cut OK. Then when its hard, cut gently again, seperate then give final coats of clear.
rrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #34
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Ok, great. I'll try that.
/Joel
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #35
Lutz-Bikes
AF Newbie

Hi Joel ,

Nice Decal work ,
Looks great .
Cheers Lutz
Lutz-Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #36
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel,

Awesome job on the decals/paint

This is the kind of things inspires me to follow with the modeling

Hope to see more soon.

Roca.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #37
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Joel, I LOVE that test bike!

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #38
JTRACING
J.E.T.

Looks Wonderful!!
JTRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:08 AM   #39
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrex
Joel, I LOVE that test bike!
Isn't it wonderful? It was the right thing to put the PE stuff on that one I asure you!

Thanks for all your comments, I'll show you engine and frame soon.
/Joel
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #40
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I've been doing some work on these babies the last week and thought I'd give you a small update. I also need some advice again.

Advice concerns the painting of flat clear on the cowls. My new strategi is to paint the inside of the cowlings flat black using enamel paint and spraying it through the airbrush. This way I can rub off any paint from the outside using a q-tip dipped in enamel solvent. This is a tip from this forum and works very well. Now, when using a flat clear on the outside I'm thinking the q-tip will polish the flat surface... Doing the other way around, painting the enamel paint first I'm afraid that paint will get damage when mounting the cowls for painting the flat clear. Any ideas on how to go about it. Maybe mount the cowls in another way than using masking tape on a stick...

Build is moving on as I said. No images though... Lot of CF going on on these rockets. From my mind I recall the speed meter, the air intake, the air box, electronical boxes, foot peg brackets, chain sprocket cover, rear mud guard and gas tank. Has taken its time I assure you that.

What else? I've been doing those nasty rimb decals, the red circles, hate those. Been trying my luck on some PE parts, not too successfully, the chain is horrible.

Will try to take some pics this week end to show you the progress.

In the meantime, please visit my web and tell me what to build next.

Cya
/Joel
Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #41
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Some photos to show that I'm actually working on these...

Engines has been mounted in the frames. To this stage the two bikes are completely the same.

This is a crappy images but I took it to show the amount of CF treatment that goes on these bikes. You can see some on the airbox in the last two pictures but here are the rest. Particularilly satisfied with the gas tanks. I added yet another picture to give you a closer look.

/Joel
Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #42
ace91
AF Regular

joel,

how did you place the cf on the mudguard without getting any air bubbles? i tried both on the west & fortuna but i keep on getting air bubbles & bumps at the end which stretches to the mid of the mudguard.

what i did was i place the tape on the mudguard, then i peel off the tape & place it on the decal sheet, then i cut it out from the decal sheet. is my way correct or is there another way? besides that, i sometimes accidentally have the cf a little bit oversized at certain parts.

adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #43
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hi Ace! I usually get the same problem, on these particular mud guards I sectioned the masking tape prototype up in smaller sections (wich unfortunately is quite visible if you look close). Other than that I guess it's left to the old Micro Sol/hairdryer trick. Wet it up and go over the piece with the hairdryer. This also takes care of the problem with too large pieces of CF decal as the over flow "melts" away from the fluid and heat. If you are left with bubbles, pick them with a needle, then go over it again with fluid and the hair dryer. That would do the trick although the Ducati mud guards are VERY complex. You are probably better off when doing it on your new yamma build.
/Joel
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #44
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

Fantastic work Joel, Great subject choice and great execution.

I must say that I am in love with test bikes, much more then real racing liveries.

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #45
Motorcycleman
AF Newbie

looks Freakin sweet!!!!!!!!! I love the test bike above all.
Keep us updated.

Jordan
Motorcycleman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes