Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
checkers
AF Newbie

1997 Galant PS belt

In late 2002 my Power Steering belt went. The alternator runs off a dual pulley with the PS belt so my alternator (also my water pump ?) was not working. I replaced it but it squealed thereafter. This belt broke 27 months later and I replaced again. The car squeaked again and the belt broke 6 weeks later. I have now replaced this belt yet again.

1. My problems with this belt began when my air conditioner went south and I believe the compressor is a load on this very same belt. Can the air conditioning problem relate to this PS belt failure ? I am sure that it does. It is the only thing that makes sense.

2. Subsequent failures seemed to occur when the car squealed after changing the belt. The mechanic claims he tightened everything accordingly.

3. This time when I left the mechanic (this is my 4th PS belt in the last 3 years !), the car did not squeal. Is this a sense of false security or does the lack of squealing finally mean that I have a PS belt that will last for the duration of the car's life which at this point it should.

4. Are there different belts that can be used ? i was told this was standard for all 97 Galants.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant