Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
DannyC4
AF Regular

Question '84 Clunking Noise During Hard Acceleration

Alright, everything started pretty much when I took my car to the dragstrip for the first time, that noise is coming from the rear left tire, everytime I step on the gas hard, and it goes away when I take my foot off the pedal, and sometimes it does it too when you kick the tire, you can hear like if something is loose or even broken. What could it be? how expensive is that part(s)? And how easy would it be for a do-it-yourselfer with not a lot of experience to acomplish that job?
Thanks a lot everybody, and dont forget to wave
DannyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
thlew61
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to thlew61
clunking

on my 84, it was the U-joints in the half shaft. If this is your problem, a new shaft with ujoints is around $130 from Corvette Central. Hope this helps. (also check wheel bearings)
thlew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:56 AM   #3
mga
AF Newbie

first question: you bring your vette to a drag strip to play around, then you question how much will it cost? the old saying "play....you pay" comes to mind.

jack up the rear, and grab the wheel at 12:00 and at 6:00 and try rocking it in and out. if you have movement it's either the wheel bearing or play in the differential, or even a bad u-joint.

lay under the car and look for excessive play in any of the 3 places.

if it's a u-joint....having someone do the work....maybe $100- $200

if it's in the differential.....figure close to $1000

if it's a wheel bearing....same as above
mga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
DannyC4
AF Regular

so, how much would it be if it is the wheel bearing?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
DannyC4
AF Regular

Re: '84 Clunking Noise During Hard Acceleration

Alright, I got it!!! It was a bad U-joint, it was pretty pretty pretty bad, really bad shape, I cant believe I was driving it for so long like that, I replaced both of the U-joints in the left half shaft, and since I bought the wheel bearing, I put it in too, might as well, just to make sure, Im saving the old one to have a spare one. The clunking noise is gone, thanks everybody for your help!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
packen
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '84 Clunking Noise During Hard Acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyC4
Alright, I got it!!! It was a bad U-joint, it was pretty pretty pretty bad, really bad shape, I cant believe I was driving it for so long like that, I replaced both of the U-joints in the left half shaft, and since I bought the wheel bearing, I put it in too, might as well, just to make sure, Im saving the old one to have a spare one. The clunking noise is gone, thanks everybody for your help!
Did you change to u-joints yourself? How hard was it. I have an 84 and I think I need to replace one or more of my u-joints but I'm not sure if I am up to it or not. When I put it in gear it clunks pretty bad. Also has a squeeking when driving.
packen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
DannyC4
AF Regular

Re: '84 Clunking Noise During Hard Acceleration

Yup, lol, sounds like bad U-joints. I didnt do it myself, I had a mechanic come over to my house and do it for me. It looked kind of time consuming, not hard, he charged me $25 bucks per U-joint (labor), each U-joint was around $15 at autozone, and I also replaced the wheel bearing, since I had bought it just in case that was the problem but it wasnt. I saved the old one as a spare. When the guy took the halfshaft U-joints out, they were pretty beat up, one was pretty much "all F*ed up", LOL, I cant believe I was still driving and doing burn outs like that, crazy, huh? Ohh well, Good luck man, let us know how that goes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette