Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique
Driving Style and Technique Got a favorite way to enter a corner? Discuss all things related to piloting a race car here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
mayoman
AF Newbie

loose exiting

so coming off corners i break loose and can't plant my rears.
1-4 mile asphalt, i run in second gear(th350) with 411 gears locked.
rf + rr's are 225-70-15, my lf is 205-70-15 and lr is 215-70-15.
any ideas please
mayoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
LVApex
AF Regular

Re: loose exiting

Circle track cars have some quirky setups, but regardless...

Rather then just chassis setup, what are you as a driver doing when this happens? I assume you are trying to accelerate out of the turn so your on the throttle... so maybe your right foot is a bit too enthusiastic?

Other wise, when does it start to slip? ass soon as you increase throttle? Just trying to figure out if its a damper or other chassis setup issue.
LVApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12

when you say "411 gears locked" are you saying you have a locked rear end? If so thats not going to help things. I would suggest a limited slip diff instead. That way you can fine tune the lock ratio so your wheels turn at different speeds in the corner but not so much that you spin a wheel.

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
RACER D12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
mayoman
AF Newbie

thank you guys for your help, just discussing this with someone is helping me alot..thanks. as far my gettin on the throttle too hard or too quick, i try not to do this. this definnetly worsens the problem. i would love to accelerate out of the corner but i can't get on it till my tires plant.
this causing me to slow. alot of times i get passed on the outside coming out of the corners. i've also tried coming into the corner higher so i can get out lower wich has only helped little. i can't remember drivein an open diff. as opposed to the locked rearend but i do remember arguein the point that one of my wheels has to break free on the corners. however this is supposed to
be taken care of by stagger, wich my team has tried a number of different
things. most racers evedently lock the rearends. but that is a good point i'll bring up at next team night.
thanks again.
mayoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
LVApex
AF Regular

Stagger should be able to deal with the locked rear end much like an LSD, However unless you are running at only one track, you are going to have to re-adjust the stagger for every other track you run at. I know Circle tracks are suppose to be simmilar but there are differences in bank angles and such that can throw your stagger settings off.

I'll dig up one of my chassis setup books and re-read the section on Wedge, there might be some info there that can help. This could be something as simple as your cross weights being off, or in need of tweaking.
LVApex is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique