Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 AM   #1
Jim1174
AF Newbie

How much longer till we see affordable electric cars

How much longer do you think it will be before we see good quality affordable electric cars for around 14 to 16 thousand ?
Jim1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Re: How much longer till we see affordable electric cars

Well, with the average new car price being $30k or more, even affordable new gas powered cars are more than $14k. And new cars that cost under $15k compete with a wide range of good used cars. So that's where you'll find the affordable EV. You either lease a new one or you by a used one for pennies on the dollar. LOTS of off-lease EVs and plug-ins for under $15k (many under $10k with few miles and only 3 years old)

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Jim1174
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Well, with the average new car price being $30k or more, even affordable new gas powered cars are more than $14k. And new cars that cost under $15k compete with a wide range of good used cars. So that's where you'll find the affordable EV. You either lease a new one or you by a used one for pennies on the dollar. LOTS of off-lease EVs and plug-ins for under $15k (many under $10k with few miles and only 3 years old)
I purchased a new hyundai a few years ago for 16 thousand total. Electric cars have been around since the 1970's. It's 2018 and people are still buying cars that use gas. You would think after 40 years electric cars would be more popular. People seem to love tesla cars. We just need good quality electric cars that even the middle class can afford.
Jim1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Until you can drive across the country (the US) in an electric car they will not be a popular form of transportation here. I can jump in my Lancer with a buddy and drive from from where I live in southwestern PA to Las Vegas in about 32 hours with us tag teaming the driving. In an all electric car it would probably take two weeks (or more) because of charge time.

As far as when we will see affordable electric cars the answer is never. Cars are not "affordable" any more.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
virtualking
AF Newbie

I think still we have to go so far regarding electric cars, we shouild build infrastructure for charging points which charges quickly.
virtualking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
Until you can drive across the country (the US) in an electric car they will not be a popular form of transportation here. I can jump in my Lancer with a buddy and drive from from where I live in southwestern PA to Las Vegas in about 32 hours with us tag teaming the driving. In an all electric car it would probably take two weeks (or more) because of charge time.
80% of drivers in the US (that's 160 MILLION of them) drive less than 40 miles a day. An EV starts every day with a "full tank" so you don't need to carry a lot of range on the day to day grind. MOST people don't take daily or weekly road trips across the country and could rent a car, fly, or just have a second, gas car for those trips, especially since 66% of households already have 2 or more cars.

All of which says that there are vastly more people that can use EVs right now than can even be made.

All it takes is people like you being honest about your daily use case, not fringe cases like a cross country road trip.

It's like saying that F150s shouldn't be bought because they can't autocross, or saying that your Lancer is crap because you can't tow a 4 horse trailer with it. Get the right tool for the job at hand.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General