Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #91
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
Re: Jordan 191

Sometime I say myself "Why I kill me with hard mods, and barely finish 1 model/years... sometimes I'll do something box stock and feel haapyness...)

Than I see someone other do much more, going deep in details and pulling the bar incredibly HI.

A joy to see, motivating.

PS/Edit: Must be first time I see dampers fitted with uniballs.......................................... .............................. speachless....................

I think it is time to get new life to the machining forum....
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #92
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Amazing job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #93
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Excellent work as usual. It amazes me how much detail you put into pieces that will not easily be seen. Yesterday we had a big model show and several guys and myself were commenting on your craftsmanship.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #94
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Ditto GIONC. Astonishing work! With such focus and attention to both detail and the big picture, you should be working on a real Formula 1 team.

(There will be four new teams next year. Why not apply? And include this WIP as part of your CV?)

Ddms
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #95
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Amazing. You are going to make super detailing the thing to do!!
Turning into a work of art.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo-Strictly 43rd Revival model/photo contest-Chicago April 24th 2010
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #96
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

I can't believe that you got the cowling so thin, brilliant stuff... I have to try that on my next build...
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #97
lotus123
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay640 View Post

Hi Jay

Just wondering if you'd noticed (and apologies if you have this covered) but I see that the side panel below is fairly angled into the floor, without a step as in the Tamiya kit. In addition, the paint would be sprayed onto the CF as though it had been masked on the real panel, rather than as two separate components (which is how it looks on the original kit).

Hope you don't mind me mentioning this, and please keep it coming.

lotus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #98
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

@lotus123: Don't mind it at all...well spotted :-) I'm in the process of doing something about that actually. Glueing the bodywork panels to the floor as i described in the update was step one. I had hoped that some primer and sanding would do the rest but it looks like i will have to give it some putty too. It will not look 100% like on the real car. That would have meant to rebuild the panels completely and i couldn't be bothered to do that to be honest :-)

@GTmike.....thanks:-) I actually saw some pictures from that show right now, including your time attack car...when's that gonna progress!?

@Didymus.....frankly, no thanks :-) The teams need engineers and mechanics and i'm neither of them. I work on street cars and wouldn't wanna be an engineer there either :-)
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #99
hakkfan
AF Regular

I love it Jay! I know I told you not to paint anything, but I guess it looks OK with some paint on there.

The mock up looks fantastic, but as silly as it sounds my favorite part so far are the little aluminum sleeves in the gearbox for the pivots. Those look perfect! Like they were just pressed in.

Keep it going!
Clay
Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #100
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Hi everyone. It’s been some time again and here is a bit of an update.
I’m in the middle of the painting process which is as always time consuming and not really interesting to look at in pictures if you ask me, but here are some shots anyway.
The first one is particularly impressive…..body in white primer on white background :-)

At that point the bodywork already had a layer of automotive primer/filler on and sanded, followed by a layer of 50% thinned grey ZERO primer with another session of sanding and this layer of white ZERO primer. I used the ZERO primers for the first time and I’m quite pleased with them. They are no replacement for the urethane automotive stuff I’ve been using for a while now. That’s thicker and better for smoothing out surface blemishes, but the ZERO stuff is very good as a final layer to show those last imperfections that require just a little sanding.
Getting to “tiny” imperfections I realized something at that point though ( and Lotus123 rightly pointed it out :-). The lower bodywork panels were just not blending into the undertray well enough. I had hoped for the paint to fix most of that but it didn’t look like that was gonna work ( with only paint and clearcoat still to come ). So I brought out the polyester putty again and went to work. It took me quite a bit of annoying puttying and sanding ( while I wanted to see some paint on the bloody thing…) but the result is an improvement.
After going through the primers again in the reworked area the body was finally ready for paint. I used the ZERO Jordan set, spraying dark green first with the lower areas masked that were going to be blue in the next step. The paint wasn’t thinned further and went on very well. Here it’s already complete:

The blue is different in reality than it shows up in the pictures…not so ultramarine. I do wonder which drug was involved when that paint scheme was signed off at Jordan :-) The dark green and blue are quite a mismatch imho. It gets better with the light green bits and the sponsor logos will surely do their part but still…
Another view from the rear:

In the next detail shot you can better see how the panels are now smoothly connected to the floor ( compared to the unpainted picture ). Panel thickness is not as thin as should be, but that’s how much I managed to do.

The question when painting this car for many builders is, what to do about the light green areas on the cowling and the strip on the front wing. Use the decals or paint!? Both Tamiya and Studio27 provide a straight strip which is a mess to get in place on the very curved front edge of the wing. Painting seems to be the better option. If you then use the decals for the cowling the colours most likely won’t match though. Masking the light green areas isn’t much fun either so I chose a different approach. I first masked and painted the front wing strip.

Then I cut out the light green Tamiya decals ( without the surrounding transparent strip ) and improved their shape according to reference pictures. ( The shape of the Studio 27 decals fit less…). Cutting out the decal with a knive will only get you so far. But the edges can be carefully smoothed out with sand paper at that point.
Then I took the shaped decals and airbrushed them with the ZERO light green. After drying I applied them the “normal” way. They get a bit stiffer and won’t work on very curvy surfaces but that wasn’t the case here anyway.

As a result I have matching light green areas on the front wing and cowling but there is a problem as you can see in the above detail picture. Just like the separation line where I masked between dark green and blue, the edges of the light green areas aren’t perfectly sharp. They are a bit rough just like on a 1:1 paintjob but there you never get so close that you notice. On a scale model ( and in close up pictures…) that’s another thing :-) While a thin white line decal will hide that edge between green and blue the light green edge will stay. I will try to improve some of that. The unaltered decals would have had sharper edges but then the shape would have been wrong here and there. It’s kind of a Catch 22 :-)

So for now that’s it. A lot of work, but not much to show for it at this stage. Next up I’ll have to paint some areas black and then it’s time for CF decals. Time consuming work again, so the next update may take a bit as well :-)

Cheers for looking!
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #101
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Hey, you said that pictures of paint is boring, but I just learned something! That decal technique is very ingenious trick. I know I will be able to use that down the road when I get to paint. Thanks for sharing!

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #102
lotus123
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay640 View Post
In the next detail shot you can better see how the panels are now smoothly connected to the floor ( compared to the unpainted picture ). Panel thickness is not as thin as should be, but that’s how much I managed to do.
Nice one, Jay! You've dealt with that panel "step" neatly.

I think you will be able to create the effect of "thinner" panels by masking halfway across the panel edge when you paint the black(?) coat around the diffuser and floor.

Edit: Sorry - on re-reading the second part of this post I think I'm doing this:

Last edited by lotus123; 11-26-2009 at 02:31 AM.
lotus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #103
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Awesome Work, the colours look great, I cant wait to see it with the full livery!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #104
safetyfast
AF Newbie

What amazing work!

I have learned a lot from your build and look forward to the next post. Now, if I only had 1/4 of your modeling skills I would be a very happy man.
safetyfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #105
rory wilson
AF Newbie

Hi guys, i'm an old modeller, but new to this site. Great work on the 191. I have the same kit which I will be starting soon, and will follow your build with interest. I am currently finishing a 1:20 tamiya Wolf WR1. I will post some completed pics one of these days.
rory wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports