Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #31
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Re: Audi R8C LeMans 1999 Provence Moulage 1:43

Excellent work! I keep forgetting that this is a 1/43 model!
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #32
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Fantastic job !!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:06 AM   #33
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano11
Excellent work! I keep forgetting that this is a 1/43 model!
Yessssss

Wheels assembly and locking nuts are simply TOUCHING !

Robi
Robi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #34
davesans
AF Enthusiast

You have taken this basic kit and transformed it into something really outstanding.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #35
360spider
AF Moderator

Ahhh, perfection! Great job as usual!
360spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #36
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Here we go with another update…. in fact the last one :-)

The area left to show is the rear end. First the lights. The kit again supplied decals for those…..no way! :-) Instead of trying to get a good paintjob with clear red and orange on some transparent part I used something different this time. At work I came across some bits of orange and red transparent film which naturally was more evenly tinted than any paint finish I could do. I glued little pieces of that onto aluminium “reflectors” using clear paint. Next time I’ll try to photoetch the metal bits. Should be possible to get some sort of lens graphic into this. On top of that I glued the photoetched and painted frames.

On the model they look like this:

Apart from the lights i added some etched and painted mesh, the exhaust pipes made from 2mm aluminium tubing and painted with Alclad, the supports for those which i had to file by hand from nickle silver sprue bits because i forgot to etch them, the red painted tow hook ring from the kit, the air pressure connector for the internal lifting system made from my PE parts and a brass rivet and the diffusor which was painted and “carbon fibered”.

After that it was time for the rear wing. I realized just now that I forgot to take pictures during its build so you’ll just have to believe me :-)
The resin wing needed some re-shaping so the profile would actually fit to the indentations in the end plates. I then added the integrated gurneyflap with a 0,8mm strip of metal and two parts for the wing support. This was followed by the standard procedure of painting, decaling, sanding and polishing.

The wing support is all built up with my etched parts. The kit parts were overly simplified. I superglued all parts together, painted them gloss black and sanded and polished a bit where possible. Unfortunately the width doesn’t exactly fit the wing and body anymore after assembly and painting and I should have changed the bottom end of the vertical parts ( compared to the kit parts ) to be able to better mount them to the body
You don’t really see it in the pictures but I’m not very happy about the outcome. I’ll leave it like this for now but next time I etch something I’ll do an improved version and replace the support…gotta have to after all the work I did so far :-)

So now there wer only a couple of small bits and pieces left over. At the front I mounted the little flip-ups next to the headlights after painting, sanding and polishing them.
For the wiper I had made some funky etched parts but they turned out to be a bit overly ambitious. They were so thin they disintegrated when I tried to work on them. That happens when you do 1:24 bits on a computer screen at the same time. You can easily loose the relation to their real sizes :-) In the end I modified the flat and chunky kit wiper and that looks o.k. as well.

The final parts ( apart from the antenna :-) were the mirrors. As I mentioned at the beginning the kit came with 4 resin mirrors, none of which looked a lot like the real ones…
So I scratched them. With painting and finishing the little bummers took almost 2 days to make but I couldn’t leave them unattended :-)
So apart from the little issue with the rear wing the R8C is finished! That’s fine because I’ve had enough of the model for the moment but I have to say I like the car more and more. It’s now among my favourite LeMans cars!

Thanks for your interest and comments again! You can find some more finished pictures here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...19#post5826719
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:31 AM   #37
bullroad
AF Regular

I did not know this version of the Audi R8.
Congratulations good job also seen the scale.
ciao

www.modellismostatico.com

Recent Works
bullroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #38
stainlesssteel
AF Regular

its truly amazing the level of detail that its put here! INCREDIBLE, Keep it up!
stainlesssteel is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports