Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

brake pads=-

98 (base) Lumina, about 285,000 miles on it.

In the last 200,000 miles this Lumina had all kinds of brake pads trying to stop quicker. Looks like these current EBC,s were the cream of the crop.

Now I,m getting some scrapping noises from the drivers front when the brakes are applied as the car is almost stopped.
Only about 21,000 miles on theses EBC,s.
Maybe going back to the old Wagner Thermo Quiet, semi metallic again.
jamesmetairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: brake pads=-

From a long-term overall performance perspective, I have had far better success with semi-metallic and carbon fiber than any ceramic. Your results may vary.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
From a long-term overall performance perspective, I have had far better success with semi-metallic and carbon fiber than any ceramic. Your results may vary.
these EBC,s were not ceramic. they put out a lot of dust, but they sure stopped the car better than any other previous pads.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Sounds like a lot of carbon fiber, and noise is not unusual with those. They still stop better than anything, but create a lot of dust as well.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

them ebc,s were totally worn out. the scraping was just the flat metal part to the outside edge . it didn,t trash the rotors. didn,t have to turn the rotors. installed oem delco now.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I know this is an old post. Given the lack of activity on this forum, I figure any post is a good post at this point.

I've been buying Performance Friction pads for all my recent brake jobs. "Carbon Metallic" material. Made in USA. Not "horribly" expensive, I get 'em on Amazon. They're $35 a set for the fronts. Haven't worn out any of them on any vehicle I've put them on; so I have little idea on service life. Seems to be pretty good (so far.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EJBUV0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The only ceramic pads I've used were from a LONG time ago (15+ years. Maybe 20+ years ago.) I HATED them. Poor stopping power. They wore like iron, though. They're the only brake pads I ever owned that I wanted to wear out quickly, so I had an excuse to replace them. They were installed on the front of my '88 K1500.

Poor stopping power? Verify the brake booster is operating correctly. I had (have) two Luminas that had poor stopping power, both were fixed with replacement boosters. Both had a firm pedal, both boosters held vacuum. The boosters failed internally, they didn't "boost". Well, they did boost but not as much as they should have.

Partially-seized calipers; or out-of-adjustment rear calipers are another possibility. The "first-gen" rear calipers have a bad reputation; they've been JUST FINE on my vehicles. Use the park brake now 'n' then to keep 'em adjusted.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina