Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
'06_silver_stang
AF Newbie

Tamiya compound help?

Well, I bought some Tamiya rubbing compound today. (fine and finish)

I've used the fine before, but never the finish. What is the finish mainly used for? When I tried it, I didn't notice any better shine. Any help wil be appreciated.

thank you ,,

2006 ford mustang 4.0
'06_silver_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Sixx
AF Regular

Re: Tamiya compound help?

The finish is primarily used to remove any small scratches that the fine may have left on the body.

The compounds are meant to be used in succession each removing fine scratches or haze that the last treatment may have left.

good luck
Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Finish should give you about the same gloss as wax, but the residue is easier to remove, IMO. Just so nobody gets sticker shock, it's quite a bit more expensive than the other Tam compounds.

Coarse, which you didn't mention, isn't really very coarse at all. But it will take down moderate orange peel without leaving a visible scratch pattern. It leaves a gloss that's just about right for older cars.

Overall, I think the Tamiya compounds are the most efficient way to polish synthetic lacquers like the Tamiya TS Series spray-can paints.

If somebody's getting more OP or texture than the Coarse can handle, there might be a painting or prep problem.

Ddms
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

I use about twice as much coarse as fine, and if I've done my polishing correctly, very little of the finish, and just a few drops of Tamiya wax. Coarse does the lion's share of polishing, and to be honest many models look fantastic after only being polished with it. Darker colors need a more complete job.

Finish and Tamiya wax are more for "detailing", they don't do any heavy work and can't cover up any shortfall in surface finish before they are used.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling