Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #16
Cl0ak
AF Enthusiast

Re: U like the 93' caviler?

Its the same as making any small 4 cylinder fast. You want serious speed you need a turbocharger/supercharger and that brings on a whole mess of engine upgrades too so its going to cost big bucks. If you want something fast just go out and buy a camaro or a trans am. Otherwise you're going to have to do some serious modding to get to 300hp.

95 Pontiac Trans Am SOLD
03 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD
03 Mercury Sable
Cl0ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Nicely put
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #18
Theturbo551
Banned

So bigger engines are less expensive to modify because there easier?
Theturbo551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #19
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

camaros and trans ams come with the 350 small block, they're everywhere. finding mods for them is about the easiest thing you can do and they're cheap. modifying one of those to get a high ammount of horsepower is really cheap and easy compared to a 4 cylender because they already start off with more power and torque so you don't have to do much to have a fast car.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theturbo551
So bigger engines are less expensive to modify because there easier?
Not neccisarily easier. Think of it this way:
If you have an engine thats say a 2.4 liter 4cylinderengine, (thats a little bigger than the size of a bottle of pop) there is that much room for the processes combustion wich results in your power. And because 4 cylinder engines were not created to smoke some guy you're racing, they dont need as strong of parts.

But say you have a 4.8 liter V8. thats double the amount of room, resulting in more space for the procceses to occure. This means more power, and more room to push compressed air into, giveing you the ability to have more power. and because V8's are usually made to handle higher amounts of power, then they are USUALLY easier to mod.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but im just trying to help you understand in a different way.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #21
Theturbo551
Banned

Exclamation Re: U like the 93' caviler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man422
Not neccisarily easier. Think of it this way:
If you have an engine thats say a 2.4 liter 4cylinderengine, (thats a little bigger than the size of a bottle of pop) there is that much room for the processes combustion wich results in your power. And because 4 cylinder engines were not created to smoke some guy you're racing, they dont need as strong of parts.

But say you have a 4.8 liter V8. thats double the amount of room, resulting in more space for the procceses to occure. This means more power, and more room to push compressed air into, giveing you the ability to have more power. and because V8's are usually made to handle higher amounts of power, then they are USUALLY easier to mod.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but im just trying to help you understand in a different way.
Yes I see what your saying but people mod 4 cyl all the time. Watch the fast and the furious (I know it's alittle unrealistic NOS wooo!z) but still it show that you can do stuff to civics, evo's, etc. But as we'll V6's and up are prob better to modify because it's cheaper to do. Like turbo intake, heads, etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #22
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

F&F doesn't show anything, they don't really make those cars super fast, it's all computer trickery and camera work. and obviously you can make civics and the like fast, it'll just cost you more money than making a cheap V8 fast, especially the chevy 350sb.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #23
Theturbo551
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
F&F doesn't show anything, they don't really make those cars super fast, it's all computer trickery and camera work. and obviously you can make civics and the like fast, it'll just cost you more money than making a cheap V8 fast, especially the chevy 350sb.
Dude you can modify 4 cyl. just like V8's. Lol ther are high 8's second 4 cyl's. out there they just take more money.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

yeah, which is exactly what i said. reread my post you'll see that i wrote "sure you can make civics and the like fast, it'll just cost you more money than making a cheap V8 fast, especially the chevy 350sb."

Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
1969CamaroSS350
AF Regular

I would say if you really like that style Cavalier go for a Z24 with a 5-Speed. Pretty quick car for what it is, 0-60 in the low 8's I think. I actually was think about selling my Corolla for one but I found the Mark VIII.
1969CamaroSS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #26
Cl0ak
AF Enthusiast

If theres any for sale in your area, chevy berettas are pretty nice cars. Same styling basically. The 93 GTZ I had came with 175hp and a 5 speed.

95 Pontiac Trans Am SOLD
03 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD
03 Mercury Sable
Cl0ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #27
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

the modability of a car is all about the aftermarket. cars like f bodies, mustangs, supras, civics, and 240sx's have large aftermarkets and are easy to modify and find parts for. caviliers do not have a large aftermarket so its gonna be harder. personally i think the z24 cavy is a great daily driver. its not fast but its not slow either. plus its small enough to whip around some country roads. and it gets good mileage.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #28
Theturbo551
Banned

Ye, ur saying V8's are easier to modify & cheaper because there made to handle more power and are more powerful than 4 cyl. 4 cyl. are more money to modify main point.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #29
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

no, i said cars with a large aftermarket are easy to modify. engine size plays little part. if you are talking about max power attainable then yes engine size determines alot.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #30
Theturbo551
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakscorpion21
no, i said cars with a large aftermarket are easy to modify. engine size plays little part. if you are talking about max power attainable then yes engine size determines alot.
Yes, Cars with bigger engines are less expensive to modify and you can get more power out of them for the price. and period.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General