Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Car Mama
AF Newbie

German tag

Ok, need a little help. We bought my son a 1979 Camaro, under the hood, on the passenger side fender well is a tag in German. It translates to just what the total vehicle wileight, axle weight etc. are. What I don't know is, why is it there? Supposedly the car was originally owned by a man in the Army who was stationed in Germany and he had it shipped over seas, drove it and wrecked it on the Audubon. And that the Germans rebuilt it and that is the reason for the tag. Do any of yall know if this would be true?
Car Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
Propshaft_69
AF Newbie

Re: German tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Mama View Post
Ok, need a little help. We bought my son a 1979 Camaro, under the hood, on the passenger side fender well is a tag in German. It translates to just what the total vehicle wileight, axle weight etc. are. What I don't know is, why is it there? Supposedly the car was originally owned by a man in the Army who was stationed in Germany and he had it shipped over seas, drove it and wrecked it on the Audubon. And that the Germans rebuilt it and that is the reason for the tag. Do any of yall know if this would be true?
Indeed, all cars registered in Germany have this tag attached to the car. It is a duty to have it. Besides this, there is a VIN stamped into the chassis.
It should look like this
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....Ae%2B6Sf6L.jpg

cheers!
Michael from Germany
Propshaft_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Car Mama
AF Newbie

Yes, Michael,that is it. So, this is where it was registered? Do any that are driven over there have to be registered?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:22 AM   #4
Propshaft_69
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Mama View Post
Yes, Michael,that is it. So, this is where it was registered? Do any that are driven over there have to be registered?
Yes, we donīt have cars on the roads, which are not registered ;-)
In your case: if the car was driven with US-registration, there would not be that tag in the car.

If a car has a German registration, it has to have this tag (Typenschild).
Please take a good picture of your tag that I can check.

You can try to contact the authority for information about the registration of your car
http://www.kba.de/EN/ZentraleRegiste...r_node_en.html

cheers!
Michael
Propshaft_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Car Mama
AF Newbie

I tried taking a picture, but it won't upload from my phone. The tag is I almost identical to the one you posted before, the only difference is it doesn't have as much information on it. Just the manufacturer, type, vin, gross vehicle weight, then axel weight.
And yes I know all cars have to be registered but what I meant was, all cars that go over there like if I were to take a trip, and take my car, since it's registered here in the states, would it get one of those tags? Or would my registration be sufficient?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General