Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
pengyou
AF Newbie

Connecting a 24v electric motor to an auto a/c compressor

I have a 2001 Chevy Astro. I would like to put a new engine into it but need a little bit more room in the engine compartment. I am turning the van into a camper and would like to have only one a/c in the car, and that powered by dc, whether from the alternator or batteries.

I would like to take the a/c out of the engine compartment and install it in the rear of the van. I know there are separate issues I must deal with but the first one is the topic of this post. If I connect a 24v 2 (or so) hp motor to turn the compressor at 1,200 rpms (or some other fixed speed) will it provide adequate cooling? I realize that the electric motor is likely to draw 80 amps or more. I have read that auto a/c compressors are often oversized because they have to cool at idle, when the engine is turning at 700 rpm as well as at freeway speeds when the engine is turning at 3,000+ rpms. There are 24v a/c compressors but they are pretty $$ I have read from different sources that a modern car a/c needs 2-3 hp to operate the a/c. I could take a standard home window a/c unit and install it, but then I have to convert 24v to 110v, and that is a large loss of energy, given the fact that this unit will be powered on batteries or by solar energy.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General