Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
TheXir
AF Newbie

Best auction Cars to resell?

Having a buddy take me to my first car auction(just a reg one not classic or exotic for sure), now i've def done my own research but I'm just wondering what everyone here thoughts on getting the best value?

I'm not a dealer, just your average Joe looking for different investment ideas, and figured buying a car(s) at wholesale prices to resell at market value/retail, would be one way to turn over my $ in the short term(month-year). I recently got a settlement from an injury case and have allotted $10,000 of it for the auction. Might spend it all on one car or may buy 2 in the 3-5000 range(all expenses included obviously). So what model cars get you the most bang for your buck in this $3-10,000 range? And what should I watch out for or any tips at all really? Look forward to your responses/ideas. Thank You!
TheXir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Best auction Cars to resell?

Any other details? Do you know what cars will be up for auction? If there's a reserve on them?
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
TheXir
AF Newbie

Nope, I was just asking in general! Are there cars that you find that are in demand that on average tend to get a better margin of return over other makes and models?
TheXir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
MikeCStig
AF Regular

One interesting idea wold be a police auction.
There are of course the retired police cruisers, which are usually popular with taxi companies. So there's an idea, buy a Crown Vic, (or whatever they used) fix it up, and sell it to a Cab company. The best thing about former police vehicles is even though they're driven hard, they're usually very well maintained and retired around 100-150k miles, but because of the history of hard driving, they're usually auctioned off pretty cheap.
Don't want a used cop car? They have other stuff too. Like cars that were seized as evidence in cases that are now closed, cars that were seized because they were purchased with dirty money, stuff like that. Just be careful because most car auctions are a bit of a gamble including police auctions.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
JeremyLee
AF Newbie

I think a simple auction will do. Last year I had been to one auction in FL. and there I saw lots of cars which were similar to your description. They are sold. but I don't know who purchased them.

Last edited by shorod; 01-15-2016 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Likely spam link (and sentence) removed.
JeremyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
ThrillNYC
AF Newbie

Make sure to check and see your state law to see how many cars you can legally sell without a license. Some states its 1 a year, some are 6. And don't skimp out on your taxes or Uncle Sam will hunt you down.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General