Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
Paul Sanders
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Paul Sanders
Angry Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

I going crazy over this mad squeak in the bottom and back portions of my driver's seat. Several squeaks happen during regular driving and cornering. I weigh 215, but come on!! Anyway, any feedback about ways to solve this will be greatly appreciated since I'm going bannana's with this problem. Thank got for loud stereo's!

Also the dash rattles, especially in the morning. It's right on top, in the middle, above the controls. I can push down and make it stop. I figure, I gotta pull off the dash plates and look underneath, but I'll take easier alternatives.

Thanks in advance for responding

Paul Sanders
Paul Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:27 PM   #2
mightybrick
AF Newbie

I have a 1999 SR5 TRD Tacoma, and my passenger seat has the rattles. I only hear it over large bumps. And there's also a funny little noise in the dash above the driver-side air vent. I don't know what it is. About the seat, my buddy that works at a Toyota dealership told me that the noise in the seats is a defect, and that all Tacoma's have this problem. I don't know if I can be of much more help. Let me know if you find out what is causing the squeak in the dash. Thanks!
mightybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:31 PM   #3
S/C Prerunner
AF Newbie

My Tacoma has the same dash rattle. I pulled the whole dash apart & made sure all screws were tight & I still have the rattle!!! (Frustrating) I can also push down on the center of my dash & the noise quits?

My driver seat doesn't make any noise, but my passenger seat rattles. If someone heavy (180 or above) sits in it, it's okay, but when my girlfriend (about 125) sits in it, it squeeks.

Someone help us... There has to be a solution...
Old 07-08-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
Carnalles
AF Newbie

Yup thats the same sqeek in the seat and rattle in the dash that my '02 Taco has. If I push in on the dash just below the lower driver side air vent then the whole dash will shift just a bit and stop that center rattle. I do this every morning and it works. dont go pushin really hard just some light firm pressure
Carnalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
S/C Prerunner
AF Newbie

Yea, I do the same to make it stop, but it only stops as long as I'm pushing on it? As soon as I let go it starts right back up again! Looks like a number of us have the same problem. Eventually I might pull the whole dash & put some weather stripping in there to keep it from moving. It's the best I can come up with for now. Untill then I'll just keep the tunes turned up...
Old 07-09-2003, 04:46 PM   #6
Carnalles
AF Newbie

yeah, weather stripping will probably almost definetly stop that rattle but taking your dash off might just give you a couple more of those sweet sounding rattles.
Carnalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:52 PM   #7
zachary12
AF Newbie

mine squeaks to
i think the japs made the seats for them
both seats squeak and i weigh 210 i have had peopel that weigh 110 pounds that sit in it and it still squeaks
ihave had people tellme to not jump in or flop onthe seat that thats what makes it do it
zachary12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
coloradoben
AF Newbie

My dash rattles too. I just wedged a 1/2" thick piece of silicon rubber between the dash and the windshield (below the defrost vents) and that took care of it. It's not exactly a glamorous fix, but it works.
coloradoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:36 PM   #9
heavydc2
AF Newbie

Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

My seat used to rattle. I brought it to a dealership and they tightened the seat down and no more squeek whatsoever.

I do have an annoying squeak out of my clutch that has been fixed 2 times already with a new bearing but I think its the whole clutch assembly that is the problem.
heavydc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #10
kirbyjrt
AF Newbie

Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

Hell guys, same problem here with the seats and the dash. This is on an '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Too many of us with this problem for this not to be a defect in this truck. Any ideas on getting this information directly to Toyota for resolution.
kirbyjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
justbrowsin
AF Newbie

Same dash rattle on 99 Tacoma; right in the center. I carved a wedge out of rubber and stuck it between the glass and dash. This works fine, and when painted interior color is hardly noticable.
justbrowsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
Sabelotodos
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydc2
My seat used to rattle. I brought it to a dealership and they tightened the seat down and no more squeek whatsoever.

I do have an annoying squeak out of my clutch that has been fixed 2 times already with a new bearing but I think its the whole clutch assembly that is the problem.
My 02 Tacoma also had a squeaky clutch pedal. I had to take it to the dealership several times to get replaced. Turns out that it was a bad bushing in the pedal assembly. My passeger seat squeaks too. I had the dashboard rattle also but the dealership fixed that by taking it apart and installing some foam padding underneath. Also, does anyone know of a good way to fix the rubber trim along the edges of the fender flares? Mine keeps coming unglued.
Sabelotodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:04 AM   #13
RyanNAK
AF Newbie

Angry Dash Rattle

My 02' Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 has the same dash rattle but part time. I have been to the local dealer, they say it is fine. Have any of you guys notifed Toyota Corp or had any problems with the dealerships?

Also my manual trans has gotten real stiff when shifting. I only have 30k on the truck. I also had some problems with the brake burning up. I had two sets by 12,000 miles, I was the only driver on the vehicle. My Last 95.5 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl had 168,000 mile when I traded it in, only changed the battery, two sets of brakes, +reg maint and tires.
RyanNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
RAVchick
AF Newbie

Rattle is not just Tacoma -- RAV too!

Hi. Just want to say my 2002 RAV4 has the same freakin' dash rattle!! It is much worse when cold outside but is audible most all the time. I have had the dealer perform the TSB's, but nothing has fixed it yet.

Today, I test-drove a Toyota Matrix (2004), thinking I may trade my RAV because of this annoying rattle, and what did I hear in the 2004 Matrix but the SAME RATTLE coming from the dash!!!!! So, I started looking on Google tonight and saw you guys have posted about your Tacomas' dash rattle, and I also read about Lexus owners having the same problem with a dash rattle (Lexus is made by Toyota).

My car is a 2002, and it is still happening in the 2004 RAVS. There is a long thread about the 2004 RAVs with this problem at

http://www.ravworld.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=5306

Last edited by RAVchick; 01-19-2004 at 08:53 PM.
RAVchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 AM   #15
DubCabKy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyjrt
Hell guys, same problem here with the seats and the dash. This is on an '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Too many of us with this problem for this not to be a defect in this truck. Any ideas on getting this information directly to Toyota for resolution.
i have a '03 double cab, no seat issues..but have the same dash rattle, I didn't notice it until I started running larger tires. 40k miles on odometer, but this could be a serious safety issue dealing with the airbag, couldn't it? toyota may have issues a recall or be in the process of issuing one..
DubCabKy is offline   Reply With Quote