Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #106
Ezekiel7
AF Newbie

Re: Ferrari 360 Modena, fully open

I agree....Color match the rim spokes to the body color, with a chrome or aluminum lip.

great job so far!
Ezekiel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #107
jmwallac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawl
Thanks for the nice comments guys, I really appreciate it. And please don't be shy on criticism, suggestions, building tips, etc. jmwallac asked what is a good rim color for a silver car. I was asking myself the same question, so I tried a few obvious options, but none of them are doing much for me. What do you think?...
It's not easy, is it? I love black rims, but they aren't suited with this "classy" job; it would look better on a red, yellow or white car. What about XF-56 with a semigloss clear over it? My other favorite is X-11:3 / X-10:2 / XF-56:1. Has a perfect sheen to it. The tires pictures in this thread are painted with that mix. Since your car is darker, maybe make the rims a little lighter? I'm also a huge fan of body colored rims. My F430 in my sig has matching rims (although it is no where near the quality of your build...)

jmwallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #108
rsxse240
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rsxse240

I used model master metalizer plate aluminum on some mustang cobra wheels, and quite honestly I think they turned out better than the real deal.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #109
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the great suggestions for the wheels, I like them all! Actually I've already gone ahead with an idea I had for the wheels, I hope you will like them (later).

I finished some work that I was really looking forward to. Tamiya's engine bay includes some well molded areas where the engine hood gas springs mount. Seeing that, I could not possibly finish this model without making my own gas springs. So here are the hood and springs in detail...

I installed very fine brass bushings. The rod runs all the way through to keep things aligned.

Here is the piston arm of the gas spring. It really has to be one piece for strength, hence the bend. But this makes it more difficult to install the boss, which I also wanted to do in one piece...

But look mom, it might squeeze around the corner

Yes! That saves messing around with shaping, aligning, and attaching some super small pieces.

So far so good.

The sleeve end. The solder fills the inside to make the corner solid.

Test fitting.

It's a goer - just need to clean up the ends. Those are small brass tubes soldered to the inside of the hood.

The bottom end complete.

Top end.

Final check. It works nicely - a miniscule kink in the rod creates enough friction to hold the weight of the hood.

Finishing off the mess where the PE is attached to the plastic. Should have used polyester here, but Mr Dissolved Putty is nice to work with. You have to wait a few days for it to fully stabilize.

Still a few loose ends to tidy up before it's finished, but getting close now!
mrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 AM   #110
jano11
AF Enthusiast

I'll have to search for my jaw first, than I'll try to find the right words to describe your work!
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #111
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

Simply amazing, did you have any problem soldiering brass to PE parts or PE is brass also, can't really see from the picture.

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #112
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Insane! Incredible work

Come clean - this might be your second plastic model but it's hard to believe that you are new to this kind of small scale, detail work What's the story?

PS If this IS all new to you, change your screen name to Micheal Angelo - because you a genius!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #113
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

This is exactly why I love this forum... just sensational!!!
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #114
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjelic
Simply amazing, did you have any problem soldiering brass to PE parts or PE is brass also, can't really see from the picture.
Initially yes, I did. It's stainless steel PE, which makes it more difficult of course. I am experienced with a soldering iron and fine electronics work, but I don't have any decent equipment here, so I tried resin core solder and a crappy 2$ iron. This usually works ok if you just heat it until it almost glows red, but not with stainless steel or CA'd PE. I needed a new iron anyway, so I got a temp-controlled iron. I also switched to plain solder with a separate paint-on flux. This works beautifully. If you have the iron at the right heat it will solder cleanly and quickly. I did get slight separation of the PE laminations in a couple of small spots, but it was easy to run some thin CA back in there. So, it's tricky but not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
Come clean - this might be your second plastic model but it's hard to believe that you are new to this kind of small scale, detail work What's the story?
I grew up with a soldering iron in my hand, built several electronic projects, even R/C radios at the component level, etc. Try soldering up an old style servo board, now that is smaaaaalll, and fun!! I had a brother who used to smash our slot car motors and I would try to fix them, rebuild/rewind the armatures, etc. Lol, those were the days. The smallest and most difficult thing I ever attempted was to rewind the heads of a VCR recorder. You have no idea what small is until you try that!

It seems to me that modeling is a pretty simple equation of care and detail vs time - you can do as incredible and detailed a job as you want, but it will cost you in time. I actually want to do a whole string of easy OOB builds just to become more efficient, in fact this build was supposed to be one of those.

I take my hat off to the master modelers on this site - the work and artistry is just unbelievable, much of it far beyond me at this stage. Everyone here seems to share a pursuit of perfection, I think we must have been exposed to some nasty chemicals or disease as kids
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #115
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Lovely work on the engine cover 'struts' (is that the right word ?) They look so real....
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #116
Joe Blyth
AF Regular

Holy crap man, those hinges are wonderful.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #117
jmwallac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I take my hat off to the master modelers on this site - the work and artistry is just unbelievable, much of it far beyond me at this stage.
Um... shit... where does that leave us average modelers?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #118
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwallac
Um... shit... where does that leave us average modelers?
Hey!! I said everyone, and I meant it. If you've read my inane comments on AF you know I love all the models on this site, regardless of level. And I think we all pretty much feel that way, that's one of the best things about this hobby. Anyway, you are just about the best photographer here, and your models don't exactly suck either, except for the time you disintegrated that Ferrari in the oven! I don't know what makes a master modeler, I think those guys have some sort of disorder or something!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #119
jmwallac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
except for the time you disintegrated that Ferrari in the oven!
My wife did that (along with my Cliff's DTM)!!!

What's next? I'd love to see what you can do with a Revell kit. Maybe the 599, Superamerica or 430?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #120
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

Quote:
I am experienced with a soldering iron and fine electronics work
Ok this explain a lot I must practice a bit (few years) more

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street